CGC CrossOver Service Question/Dilemma- Update with Pics!!

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
CGC CrossOver Service Question/Dilemma- Update with Pics!!

Post by mkb28 »

Hello Everyone:

I thought I would pose my question or dilemma to the group and get some feedback. I am in the process of buying/trading for a Detective Comics #359 (1st Batgirl) CBCS 8.5. This is a significant upgrade from my CGC 6.0 copy. I would love to take advantage of the CGC CrossOver Service and send my CBCS 8.5 copy in to CGC for re-grading and the new CGC case. CGC is running a special deal on their CrossOver Service and here are the details:

"Books postmarked no later than January 31, 2019 will still be eligible to receive the following:

Free screening for CrossOver submissions at Standard, Express and WalkThru tiers. This means that CGC will screen CrossOver submissions in their existing holder, and if the Grader feels that the book’s grade may decrease, CGC will contact you with the option to not proceed.
A flat grading fee of $10 for any books that go down in grade, regardless of tier and value.
CrossOver discounts of up to 40-50% off regular grading fees for books that earn the same or higher grade."

Unfortunately, I don't think I am going to get the deal done by the January 31 deadline, so I will miss out on the Free Screening opportunity. I plan to send an email to CGC to see if they will grant me an extension. Here is what the CGC ad states for books received on or after February 1, 2019:

"Beginning February 1, 2019, CGC will no longer provide free screenings. Any comics submitted for CrossOver will automatically be re-graded. There will also be one grading rate regardless of what grade the book receives. Still, these post-promotion rates will be 40-50% LESS than our standard grading fees, allowing for a CGC-graded book at a fraction of the cost of a raw submission. The rates as of February 1 will be as follows:
Modern: $12
Value: $16.20
Economy: $22.80
Standard: $32.50
Express: $50
WalkThru: 1.5% of the Declared Value, $75 minimum"

So, here is my dilemma. Should I still send in the slab for CGC re-grading and the new case, even though I run the risk the grade could go down and CGC will not notify me if I don't get the extension on the deal? Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
Last edited by mkb28 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:00:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: CGC CrossOver Service Question/Dilemma

Post by IMJ »

mkb28 wrote:Hello Everyone:

I thought I would pose my question or dilemma to the group and get some feedback. I am in the process of buying/trading for a Detective Comics #359 (1st Batgirl) CBCS 8.5. This is a significant upgrade from my CGC 6.0 copy. I would love to take advantage of the CGC CrossOver Service and send my CBCS 8.5 copy in to CGC for re-grading and the new CGC case. CGC is running a special deal on their CrossOver Service and here are the details:

"Books postmarked no later than January 31, 2019 will still be eligible to receive the following:

Free screening for CrossOver submissions at Standard, Express and WalkThru tiers. This means that CGC will screen CrossOver submissions in their existing holder, and if the Grader feels that the book’s grade may decrease, CGC will contact you with the option to not proceed.
A flat grading fee of $10 for any books that go down in grade, regardless of tier and value.
CrossOver discounts of up to 40-50% off regular grading fees for books that earn the same or higher grade."

Unfortunately, I don't think I am going to get the deal done by the January 31 deadline, so I will miss out on the Free Screening opportunity. I plan to send an email to CGC to see if they will grant me an extension. Here is what the CGC ad states for books received on or after February 1, 2019:

"Beginning February 1, 2019, CGC will no longer provide free screenings. Any comics submitted for CrossOver will automatically be re-graded. There will also be one grading rate regardless of what grade the book receives. Still, these post-promotion rates will be 40-50% LESS than our standard grading fees, allowing for a CGC-graded book at a fraction of the cost of a raw submission. The rates as of February 1 will be as follows:
Modern: $12
Value: $16.20
Economy: $22.80
Standard: $32.50
Express: $50
WalkThru: 1.5% of the Declared Value, $75 minimum"

So, here is my dilemma. Should I still send in the slab for CGC re-grading and the new case, even though I run the risk the grade could go down and CGC will not notify me if I don't get the extension on the deal? Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
I wouldn't do it - not in this particular example. If you have to have "CGC", then find a different slab to buy and negotiate a price. The risks are too great given that something could happen while cracking the case, handling the book. And even if those are not problems, CGC could still send you back a slab citing the book is a lower grade of any kind. Additionally, CBCS is not generally met with the same perception across the hobby as say PGX is. Maybe a CGC book still sells for some small amount more than an analog book from a competitor on the aftermarket, but you aren't buying it for that reason.

Unless your personal desire to have this particular book slabbed in a CGC holder outweighs your desire to own this nicer copy than your current copy, I'd say that the risks are too great to have it re-slabbed. You have to remember that you are buying the book - not the slabbing company, unless the company itself is in question. So far, CBCS is not in question.

On the other hand, you could send it to CGC and everything could go fine. But that's one outcome amidst one perfect set of actions. The downside is quite literally any other lesser grade outcome and any other situation that could happen.

Just do your mental algebra regarding what you want before you pull the trigger, bro.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Yeah, in my experience, CBCS is not consistent nor as comparable as CGC. So, you could end up with a lesser grade. I would think it very possible as getting a lesser grade, and very unlikely you get a higher grade without a press.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

I knew you guys would have some good insights. :thumb:

Thank you!

Michael

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote:Yeah, in my experience, CBCS is not consistent nor as comparable as CGC.
I'm curious about this.... have you submitted to CBCS, gotten results, cracked them and then resubmitted them? How have you measured the inconsistency?
The only personal experience I've had with a tangible example was a Daredevil #1 that I had cracked, allegedly pressed and re-graded, but that went from one grading company's slab over to the CGC. It wasn't the same company, so my example is hardly a real measure of one company's grading consistency.

Also, I've been considering doing some stuff with CBCS for a while, so I'd be interested in hearing your experience as to those things you had mentioned above! :thumb:

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I haven’t cracked any CBCS books, but I do have CGC and CBCS books side by side in my collection. The CBCS books have noticeable defects in the spines at the same grade. 9.8s with color breaks in the spine. I’ve been disappointed by the inconsistency at CBCS.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote:I haven’t cracked any CBCS books, but I do have CGC and CBCS books side by side in my collection. The CBCS books have noticeable defects in the spines at the same grade. 9.8s with color breaks in the spine. I’ve been disappointed by the inconsistency at CBCS.
Interesting... so basically you are seeing flaws or virtues on CBCS grades that surpass the threshold of a given grade. On that note, you should call CBCS on those and inquire as to the grader's notes and whatnot. You get that with them without an added service, so if anything you can hear their explanation as they look at the scans of your book! I'd be legitimately interested in what they had to say...

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Tremendous info!
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

mkb28
Re: CGC CrossOver Service Question/Dilemma- Update with Pics

Post by mkb28 »

UPDATE WITH PICTURES!!

I have an update to my question/story that I originally posted. I sent an email to CGC and they said they would not extend the deadline date for the free look analysis. I still had a few days before the deadline so I was able to make contact with the Seller of my CBCS 8.5 slab. I asked if he knew if the raw book had been pressed and he said it had not been pressed. He bought the raw book and sent it to CBCS and received the 8.5 grade. The Seller also said he would be happy to send the slab directly to CGC so I could make the deadline. I emailed a copy of the CGC packing slip to him and the slab was sent to CGC for the CrossOver regrade service.

CGC emailed me a week later and the rep said the grader believes the book would grade a CGC 8.5 if it receives a press, which I had signed up for. At first, I considered cancelling everything and asking them to send me back the CBCS slab. I was able to call the rep and she said it is very hard to estimate the grade through the slab and they won’t really know until they open it. Since the book had not been pressed before, I decided to take the plunge and roll the dice.

I wish I could tell you that my 8.5 book was enhanced to a 9.0, but CGC did grade the book as an 8.5. In the end, I was able to swap out the CBCS case for the enhanced CGC case, which I believe is better. One forum member said I now have a book that has been confirmed as an 8.5 by two grading companies. With my CGC membership renewal credit, my total cost for everything was $97.00.

Here are some pictures of both slabs:

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Thanks for sharing. I think you made out well with the CGC slab which is more marketable. It also suggests that CBCS’s standards are not as high as CGC (which I have anecdotally noticed), or that the pressing did not help (unlikely). Congrats man.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

nycjadie wrote:Thanks for sharing. I think you made out well with the CGC slab which is more marketable. It also suggests that CBCS’s standards are not as high as CGC (which I have anecdotally noticed), or that the pressing did not help (unlikely). Congrats man.
Thanks, Steve! I have no regrets, but I do wish the grade would have gone up a notch...or two. :lol:

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

8.0 and 8.5 have become my go-to grade for key first appearances that might otherwise start to get extremely expensive in 9.0 or higher. 8.0 and 8.5's make for true high grade examples of older keys, and generally display as nicely as 9.0's. They also maintain investment value and some prestige beyond those otherwise great mid tier books like the 5.0 to 6.0 family, but in the 8.0 family you don't get any or much browning of vintage paper, now cover chipping.

8.0 and 8.5 are simply great investment, display and ownership grades proportionate to the price point on most key books like your issue of 'Tec.......

1st Punisher 1st Harley
Image Image

1st Demon Etrigan

1st Wolverine

1st Mephisto

1st John Stewart GL

So basically, I think you picked a great grade to buy in on, man!

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Thanks, IMJ, and I love your key first appearance books. :clap: Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

IMJ wrote:8.0 and 8.5 have become my go-to grade for key first appearances that might otherwise start to get extremely expensive in 9.0 or higher.
8.0 and 8.5 are simply great investment, display and ownership grades proportionate to the price point on most key books like your issue of 'Tec.......
I'll go one further... I enjoy 6.0 and 6.5 for key issues, particularly for books that I am a fan but not a "big fan"... so that I can have the eye appeal and the pride-in-ownership, without the cost (but giving up the value difference) of the higher grades like 8.0+.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

If it was a character that I was a "big fan", I'd be ecstatic to own an 8.0 or higher. :thumb:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Awesome books, Greg! :clap: Thanks for sharing! :thumb: