Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Another 9.6 with no grader notes!

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I'm starting to reach higher levels of frustration regarding CGC and their grading system. First, I have no problem with receiving a 9.6, if that's the way they grade it, I'm fine with it. My biggest problem is now this makes 3 9.6's I've received, with zero graders notes. No reasoning, no nothing. So, I call CGC, and the only thing they can say is that it clearly states graders MAY leave notes.

Seriously, how can I get better at picking 9.8's if they don't leave me a few notes on WHY they graded the way they did? Maybe I wouldn't be so frustrated if the books I had graded weren't so important to me. This latest one was a bit of a white whale, one of my top three Sigs I've been hunting for, and by sigs, I mean meet and greet/coffee/conversation.

The book, X-O Manowar #15 1:50 corrected, the signature, Kekai Kotaki.

Do you realize, he's only ever done two comic books in his entire life? Both are Valiant! So tracking him down and getting his signature and a chance to talk to him was epic (in my mind), guess I just wanted the 9.8 to put an exclamation point on the whole experience. Like I said, I would be fine with the 9.6, if I could know why.

Maybe it's just me, but have you had these experiences?
Moose

lobo
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re: Another 9.6 with no grader notes!

Post by lobo »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:I'm starting to reach higher levels of frustration regarding CGC and their grading system. First, I have no problem with receiving a 9.6, if that's the way they grade it, I'm fine with it. My biggest problem is now this makes 3 9.6's I've received, with zero graders notes. No reasoning, no nothing. So, I call CGC, and the only thing they can say is that it clearly states graders MAY leave notes.

Seriously, how can I get better at picking 9.8's if they don't leave me a few notes on WHY they graded the way they did? Maybe I wouldn't be so frustrated if the books I had graded weren't so important to me. This latest one was a bit of a white whale, one of my top three Sigs I've been hunting for, and by sigs, I mean meet and greet/coffee/conversation.

The book, X-O Manowar #15 1:50 corrected, the signature, Kekai Kotaki.

Do you realize, he's only ever done two comic books in his entire life? Both are Valiant! So tracking him down and getting his signature and a chance to talk to him was epic (in my mind), guess I just wanted the 9.8 to put an exclamation point on the whole experience. Like I said, I would be fine with the 9.6, if I could know why.

Maybe it's just me, but have you had these experiences?
Honestly, it will come from experience on how to tell. I can usually pick out the 9.6 flaw, even through the CGC case, knocking it down from a 9.8

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Another 9.6 with no grader notes!

Post by nycjadie »

I agree. I can almost always tell a 9.6 from a 9.8, maybe 98% of the time. They used to not do grader notes for notes for 9.6s at all, so you kind of had to just get really good at spotting. That being said, there are those 2% that drive me crazy.