CGC sinking like the Titanic

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
Re: CGC sinking like the Titanic

Post by Aram »

Aport wrote:BaBoom!

CBCS is moving in for the kill.
Without a registry they really aren't. :-? :twocents:
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Aram wrote:

If CBCS had a registry right now I would have zero issues making the jump.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
Aram wrote:

If CBCS had a registry right now I would have zero issues making the jump.
Is the registry really that big of a deal? I think the point of it can be kind of dangerous. It's like saying I have all these, come rob me :thumb:

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

That would be true if our addresses were listed in the registry, which they are not.

Car shows do not harm the automotive industry. They provide enthusiasts the chance to publicly show their passion.

Likewise, people are motivated by a number of things, and while some might like to keep their collection in a box; others like to show their collections off a bit. I like to see incredible collections, and the registry has inspired me to complete certain collections I might never have otherwise completed.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Holy crap though! :o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TokJU2FsNtQ
There's also a part 2: https://youtu.be/-9LH88XQ4UA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I'm concerned about these issues. I have 6 invoices with CGC right now. 1 was received on 4/19 and is still scheduled for grading. The other was received on 5/9, and is now graded :o

I'm not submitting any additional until things are worked through. I might even wait until they get a new case altogether.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

nycjadie wrote:I'm concerned about these issues. I have 6 invoices with CGC right now. 1 was received on 4/19 and is still scheduled for grading. The other was received on 5/9, and is now graded :o

I'm not submitting any additional until things are worked through. I might even wait until they get a new case altogether.
On the CGC board, some got slabs back in the old pre-debacle cases upon request. For example, some got the recent DC Rebirth comics back in the old slab. You may call CGC to see if you can get your current submissions in the old slabs.

Aram

Post by Aram »

nycjadie wrote:I'm concerned about these issues. I have 6 invoices with CGC right now. 1 was received on 4/19 and is still scheduled for grading. The other was received on 5/9, and is now graded :o

What I'm getting is that there was a specific turning point WEEKS INTO THE RELEASE where CGC supposedly fixed the issue with their encapsulation process. Anything before this point is being re-encapsulated free of charge and top priority, and they say currently "there has been no known damage to any books".

I think these youtube videos are misleading and that it is not as big a deal as they make it appear. I mean seriously what are people going to jump up and down on their slabs or squish them intentionally with both hands over and over again to create the force needed for engine creep??

Even then I'm not convinced that "some" waviness detracts from the grade in any way. Most new books off the shelf (especially IMAGE) have MORE waviness than I'm seeing in these videos and pictures.

These new slabs are SOLID! I'd be super concerned about the engine creep if they were flimsy and easily shifted like CBCS's.

My Non Valiant books are on the way to me and they were Graded June 2nd and encapsulated soon after. Since others who submitted just a few weeks before me haven't seemed to have their books marked as shipped yet.. I believe the issue might have even lasted 6-7 weeks into the change over which I believe was back on April 4th?
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Aram

Post by Aram »

Any difference between the Type? AKA prescreen vs a regular sub? If the 4/19 sub is prescreen and is still on track with how long mine took, then it should be graded very very soon and on it's way to you in about 3 weeks.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Aram wrote:

What I'm getting is that there was a specific turning point WEEKS INTO THE RELEASE where CGC supposedly fixed the issue with their encapsulation process. Anything before this point is being re-encapsulated free of charge and top priority, and they say currently "there has been no known damage to any books".

I think these youtube videos are misleading and that it is not as big a deal as they make it appear. I mean seriously what are people going to jump up and down on their slabs or squish them intentionally with both hands over and over again to create the force needed for engine creep??

Even then I'm not convinced that "some" waviness detracts from the grade in any way. Most new books off the shelf (especially IMAGE) have MORE waviness than I'm seeing in these videos and pictures.

These new slabs are SOLID! I'd be super concerned about the engine creep if they were flimsy and easily shifted like CBCS's.

My Non Valiant books are on the way to me and they were Graded June 2nd and encapsulated soon after. Since others who submitted just a few weeks before me haven't seemed to have their books marked as shipped yet.. I believe the issue might have even lasted 6-7 weeks into the change over which I believe was back on April 4th?
The problem is really not external motion causing the issue - it is edge pressure on the books. I assume the 'fix' was to encapsulate with the pressure spread evenly over the book, but that is a pipe dream. Not all books are flat, most are thicker at the spine. And because of the pressure the books will be held in the squished position, so while some books start wavy at rest, they can still be damaged by the pressure.

Regular environmental vibration will be enough to cause a change over time. Uneven pressure is bad.
Last edited by ckb on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:43:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

6/24/2016 - CGC announced they're going to use an inner well again, in combination with the new outer holder style. My guess is that it will be possible to see the inner well, so buyers on Ebay, etc., will be able to tell old, new without inner well, and new with inner well.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

greg wrote:6/24/2016 - CGC announced they're going to use an inner well again, in combination with the new outer holder style. My guess is that it will be possible to see the inner well, so buyers on Ebay, etc., will be able to tell old, new without inner well, and new with inner well.

And that solves that!

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Ricomortis wrote:
greg wrote:6/24/2016 - CGC announced they're going to use an inner well again, in combination with the new outer holder style. My guess is that it will be possible to see the inner well, so buyers on Ebay, etc., will be able to tell old, new without inner well, and new with inner well.

And that solves that!
I'd like to know what the inner holder is made of... but yes, it does seem like a workable solution.

Aram

Post by Aram »

And CGC drops the mic..

:lol:

michael
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: none
Favorite title: EW
Favorite writer: Kirkman
Favorite artist: none

Post by michael »

Aram wrote:And CGC drops the mic..

CGC mic drop? NOT

Proves CGC's been lying to their customers about damages to comics. Proves that squishing a comic is a bad idea. Proves that they've been lying that they could not go back to an inner well. Proves that the customers were/are right and CGC just don't want to admit it. It shows me how they run their business and that will be the reason they will no longer receive my books. This proves you shouldn't do business with them either because they still wont admit anything except very vague lawyer talk.

I'm glad they are fixing "maybe" the holder. I still won't be sending my books to CGC or buying them for a very long time, if ever. But I think it's better for the hobby if the product they put out is viable. I get it that dealers are happy 'money wise" but on the collector side people should be very *SQUEE* off at CGC antics. Hopefully CBCS takes some of CGC market because competition is a good thing.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Jury is still out for me. We shall see.

Aram

Post by Aram »

michael wrote:
Aram wrote:And CGC drops the mic..

CGC mic drop? NOT

Proves CGC's been lying to their customers about damages to comics. Proves that squishing a comic is a bad idea. Proves that they've been lying that they could not go back to an inner well. Proves that the customers were/are right and CGC just don't want to admit it. It shows me how they run their business and that will be the reason they will no longer receive my books. This proves you shouldn't do business with them either because they still wont admit anything except very vague lawyer talk.

I'm glad they are fixing "maybe" the holder. I still won't be sending my books to CGC or buying them for a very long time, if ever. But I think it's better for the hobby if the product they put out is viable. I get it that dealers are happy 'money wise" but on the collector side people should be very *SQUEE* off at CGC antics. Hopefully CBCS takes some of CGC market because competition is a good thing.
I'm a collector and I'm very happy with them. I think they did an excellent job as a company addressing the issue. If they had taken longer or I had submitted a bunch of golden age books with existing page quality issues then my opinion might be different so I get where you are coming from but also disagree that they did a bad job.

I have more confidence in them now than before the issues with the new holder.

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

nycjadie wrote:Jury is still out for me. We shall see.

I agree, I do not see how the addition of the inner well is going to stop the books from warping. It's the design of the case, how will the inner well prevent that? I hope that I am wrong, but we will see what happens.

tevans333
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tevans333 »

Aram wrote:
I have more confidence in them now than before the issues with the new holder.
I have less trust in them now than before. Deleting forum threads, blaming customers, saying it was a minor issue that was fixed after weeks of denying there was an issue is not a way to run a company. They made this announcement and change because the customers forced them too. Had we listened to them from the get go and allowed them to delete any mention of problems, they would still be using the flawed design.

ckb

Post by ckb »

maraxusofkeld wrote:
nycjadie wrote:Jury is still out for me. We shall see.

I agree, I do not see how the addition of the inner well is going to stop the books from warping. It's the design of the case, how will the inner well prevent that? I hope that I am wrong, but we will see what happens.
This is going back to the tried and true inner well with the cutouts at the corners, now only the outer case has changed. So the old problem of SCS comes back, but that is much better than this pressure warping that was going on. I have no problem with the old-style inner wells.

To be clear, we really have three CGC inner wells in play:

old-style:

These are the barex wells that have little cutouts at the corners. Sometimes CGC has to put a little shelf in there at one of the edges to hold the book better. When they were doing it right, they used these on books with a thick cover stock or books that were thick overall because they did not play well with the...

new-style:

I called these "pillow" style because they basically just made a seal at all 4 sides of the book of 2 sheets of mylar. I hated these because, when slabbed improperly, the cover of the book could be held by friction and the interior could move, ripping the cover. When these first came out I had a set of books ruined from this. CGC made it right, but I always requested old-style wells on all my books, and I do not purchase new style wells unless I can examine them in hand.

failed-style:

The newest aborted attempt. They seemed to be much closer to new style than old.

So the best thing they can do is go back to the old-style. The outer cases are just drop protection, really. As long as these are being use there are unlikely to be any new problems.

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Will the new cases with the inner well have the micro-chamber paper in as well or is that gone?

ckb

Post by ckb »

maraxusofkeld wrote:Will the new cases with the inner well have the micro-chamber paper in as well or is that gone?
With the old barex well the micro chamber paper will be back. Barex does not allow the books to breathe well enough, thus the paper.