CGC Valiants getting expensive.

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

I really don't see any reason to take a book out of the holder. If the book grades in that area, you pretty much wasted the money you sent to CGC since the demand is for the higher grade issues. The only reason to take it out would be to pass it off as what it is not. I have several books that I sent to CGC years ago that I graded on the fly, either in in store or a convention that didn't grade as I expected. Unfortunatly in that case the book is probably not worth what you paid CGC to grade it. A modern book might be worth $75+ in CGC 9.6, but an 8.5 might be worth $10.
A good example to use is the Frank Miller Wolverine Mini Series from the 80's. Ton's of the #1's have been graded, probably as many as any modern book. Check the prices and see you can probably pick up a CGC 8.5 for $20, or less.
From a buying standpoint, some of these books may not be bad deals because at least its permanantly slabbed and the average grade of most books that have been read is 8.5-9.2. I think, at least it used to be that, all prices in Overstreet, Wizard, and such were base on NM9.2 although I was thumbing through a wizard the other day and they no longer make that statement.

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by BodaZoffa »

wrunow wrote:I really don't see any reason to take a book out of the holder. If the book grades in that area, you pretty much wasted the money you sent to CGC since the demand is for the higher grade issues. The only reason to take it out would be to pass it off as what it is not. I have several books that I sent to CGC years ago that I graded on the fly, either in in store or a convention that didn't grade as I expected. Unfortunatly in that case the book is probably not worth what you paid CGC to grade it. A modern book might be worth $75+ in CGC 9.6, but an 8.5 might be worth $10.
A good example to use is the Frank Miller Wolverine Mini Series from the 80's. Ton's of the #1's have been graded, probably as many as any modern book. Check the prices and see you can probably pick up a CGC 8.5 for $20, or less.
From a buying standpoint, some of these books may not be bad deals because at least its permanantly slabbed and the average grade of most books that have been read is 8.5-9.2. I think, at least it used to be that, all prices in Overstreet, Wizard, and such were base on NM9.2 although I was thumbing through a wizard the other day and they no longer make that statement.
In the back of Wizard it states that all prices are for comics in 9.0 condition. It's towards the back by the CGC section.

Boda

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

Thanks Boda, I was looking in the beginning of the price guide area before page 1.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

greg wrote:Yesterday, I received Unity #1 Gold and Unity #1 Platinum in CGC 9.6
(I bought them from the same seller, I've been waiting for them to arrive.)

These books are absolutely perfect, as far as I can see, front and back,
fantastic corners... no marks at all on the spine... and they're "only" CGC 9.6.

I will be watching the CGC 9.6 Valiant auctions very closely now...
if the prices are falling on CGC 9.6... that's excellent news.
(In other words, don't get too caught up in the 9.8-mania.)
But...as you know, CGC holders do tend to hide some non-reflective (ie, spine stress that doesn't reflect back light at the point of pressue) wear, so there could be a problem you can't see. I got a Spiderman #34 a coupla years back graded F+, and it 'looked' VF/NM. I couldn't understand why the grade was so low (I'd bought it off eBay already graded), so, I popped open the case to examine WHAT CGC was thinking...and lo and behold, a very light, but very large (3" x 4") water stain was revealed on the front cover...TOTALLY hidden under the case. So, I found out that the case can hide significant damage that would otherwise be visible outside the case.

AND...as well, the grade isn't just for the front and back covers. An interior page with perfect covers, but an interior page with a 1/2" crease, can get a 9.6.

Typically..if the book gets a 9.6, and there's nothing YOU can see wrong with the book....there's something you CAN'T see, which puts it in that grade. That is, not all 9.6's are going to 'look' flawless.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

greg wrote:Yesterday, I received Unity #1 Gold and Unity #1 Platinum in CGC 9.6
(I bought them from the same seller, I've been waiting for them to arrive.)

These books are absolutely perfect, as far as I can see, front and back,
fantastic corners... no marks at all on the spine... and they're "only" CGC 9.6.

I will be watching the CGC 9.6 Valiant auctions very closely now...
if the prices are falling on CGC 9.6... that's excellent news.
(In other words, don't get too caught up in the 9.8-mania.)
I just got in the mail today 2 CGC comics as well.
Solar 10 CGC 9.4
---upper left corner 1/32 to 1/16 white edge
---lower left corner 1/32 to 1/16 white edge
---appears to be slight "streak" through the flat area of the Solar title

The rest of the cover looks perfect. There are not any dents or dings in the spine. There is no color break along the spine. The other corners are perfect.

Magnus #0 w/card CGC 9.4
---upper left corner has what looks like a binding tear less than 1/16 or 1/32 in length.
---on the back cover there appears to be a small "pencil tip" size dent in the lower right area.

The rest looks perfect. There is no color break or dents along the spine and there is no color transfer in the Valiant logo.

I will post again when I get my 9.6 books :D

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote: But...as you know, CGC holders do tend to hide some non-reflective (ie, spine stress that doesn't reflect back light at the point of pressue) wear, so there could be a problem you can't see. I got a Spiderman #34 a coupla years back graded F+, and it 'looked' VF/NM. I couldn't understand why the grade was so low (I'd bought it off eBay already graded), so, I popped open the case to examine WHAT CGC was thinking...and lo and behold, a very light, but very large (3" x 4") water stain was revealed on the front cover...TOTALLY hidden under the case. So, I found out that the case can hide significant damage that would otherwise be visible outside the case.

AND...as well, the grade isn't just for the front and back covers. An interior page with perfect covers, but an interior page with a 1/2" crease, can get a 9.6.

Typically..if the book gets a 9.6, and there's nothing YOU can see wrong with the book....there's something you CAN'T see, which puts it in that grade. That is, not all 9.6's are going to 'look' flawless.
Did CGC use different sized holders? The Solar 10 I recieved the outside holder is almost twice as think as the others I have. It is interesting though as you can tell that they have an internal holder that the book is in. I never noticed this on the smaller hard cases until now.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

But...as you know, CGC holders do tend to hide some non-reflective (ie, spine stress that doesn't reflect back light at the point of pressue) wear, so there could be a problem you can't see. I got a Spiderman #34 a coupla years back graded F+, and it 'looked' VF/NM. I couldn't understand why the grade was so low (I'd bought it off eBay already graded), so, I popped open the case to examine WHAT CGC was thinking...and lo and behold, a very light, but very large (3" x 4") water stain was revealed on the front cover...TOTALLY hidden under the case. So, I found out that the case can hide significant damage that would otherwise be visible outside the case.

Do CGC really look that closely at the inside of a book? Wouldn't that harm to condition of the outside?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

x-omatic wrote:Did CGC use different sized holders? The Solar 10 I recieved the outside holder is almost twice as think as the others I have. It is interesting though as you can tell that they have an internal holder that the book is in. I never noticed this on the smaller hard cases until now.
Yes, anytime a book is a little thicker or wider, they can select from
a few different sized holders in order to find the one that is the "best fit".
That's pretty common with CGC graded Golden and Silver Age books.

In some cases, two different sized holders might be used for identical books.

It just depends on what the "encapsulator" felt was the 'best fit' that day.
Solar 10 is already thicker than most Valiants, and it has an embossed cover.