slabbing - why or why not? AND has it hurt the hobby?

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

aggr1103
My posts can all fit in a short box
slabbing - why or why not? AND has it hurt the hobby?

Post by aggr1103 »

This thread developed out of a thread over at the CGC forums. Guy over there had a Peter Parker Spectacular #1 graded and it came back at 8.5. Needless to say, several folks criticized him for it because a higher grade copy could be bought for less than the slabbing price. I'm trying to defend his reason for doing it based on the fact that some folks will slab for posterity or sentimental reasons and not for the glory of the ol' greenback.

Its frustrating because I know I'll get eaten by the jackals over there. I don't think CGC has hurt the hobby but I think it definitely has drawn a line between business and the hobby itself - which I don't like. It's as if folks only collect for investment and others collect out of enjoyment. The latter being looked down upon for "poor taste" or making "poor investment decisions."

Sorry - just venting for a sec. Would like to hear what others think about it.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: slabbing - why or why not? AND has it hurt the hobby?

Post by magnusr »

aggr1103 wrote:This thread developed out of a thread over at the CGC forums. Guy over there had a Peter Parker Spectacular #1 graded and it came back at 8.5. Needless to say, several folks criticized him for it because a higher grade copy could be bought for less than the slabbing price. I'm trying to defend his reason for doing it based on the fact that some folks will slab for posterity or sentimental reasons and not for the glory of the ol' greenback.

Its frustrating because I know I'll get eaten by the jackals over there. I don't think CGC has hurt the hobby but I think it definitely has drawn a line between business and the hobby itself - which I don't like. It's as if folks only collect for investment and others collect out of enjoyment. The latter being looked down upon for "poor taste" or making "poor investment decisions."

Sorry - just venting for a sec. Would like to hear what others think about it.
It is fascinating. As soon as a book is rather easy to get in a certain grade, all lower grades take a big penalty price-wise. Two different markets have developed, one for slabbed and one for unslabbed books, and weird as it is, low grade books lose value by being slabbed. Like you say, once slabbed, the pure enjoyment is less of a factor.

/Magnus
Last edited by magnusr on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:35:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

I also frequent the CGC boards and I do have to say be careful of what you post over there as some of the folks are very egotistical and opinionated. They will eat you alive as soon as you post anything they don't see fit. I saw that thread you were talking about and frankly when it comes to slabbing, you will need to differentiate yourself as either a collector or a dealer. The only thing where I see CGC is hurting the hobby is with modern books. Modern slabs have a 99% chance of depreciating as time goes on. I never quite understood why people like to invest in them as NM/MT copies are just plentiful everywhere. Other then that, I would say CGC did help with online comic trading. You don't need to worry as much as you used to when buying raw books over mail orders to determine whether the grading was accurate and whether the book was restored.

jbtheo

Post by jbtheo »

I was thinking of slabbing my copy of Spider-Man 300, because the copy I have is what I believe to be NM. But, I won't pay $50 to get it done. I can understand people slabbing a copy of Spider-Man #1 or Fantastic Four #50 or something, but even then they are paying thousands to get it done (I think, because doesn't CGC charge % of the market value for those kind of investment comics?). Why would someone do that if not to sell it for a large profit? If you want to keep it for posterity, then just get some high-end mylar sleeve and put it in a safety deposit box.

If you are a collector, I can understand CGCing something, because it does increase the value, but only is it is 9.6 or higher apparently. If you get something back that is a 9.4 or below, I hear it is not worth it because the market price (on ebay for instance) drops significantly and the price is more or less the same as what you would have gotten if you sold it "raw".

I don't know. I've never collected for $$$ or investment, so I cannot relate to it. :?

toddyboy
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by toddyboy »

jbtheo wrote:I can understand people slabbing a copy of Spider-Man #1 or Fantastic Four #50 or something, but even then they are paying thousands to get it done (I think, because doesn't CGC charge % of the market value for those kind of investment comics?).
can someone validate this statement? i might be in need of slabbing an "investment comic" that i have no intention of flipping in the near future...

Escaflown4

Post by Escaflown4 »

toddyboy wrote:
jbtheo wrote:I can understand people slabbing a copy of Spider-Man #1 or Fantastic Four #50 or something, but even then they are paying thousands to get it done (I think, because doesn't CGC charge % of the market value for those kind of investment comics?).
can someone validate this statement? i might be in need of slabbing an "investment comic" that i have no intention of flipping in the near future...
You will need to reference their grading tiers on their site. Check the following chart as they give you a maximum value on each tier you submit the book through. I recommend calling them beforehand if you do plan to submit your "investment" book just to make sure.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/services_and_fees.asp

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Take a look for yourself at the CGC Services and Fees webpage. They do have a tiered pricing system based on the "value" of the book post grading which has been debated here in other threads.

dbostejano
Here's my not so custom custom.
Here's my not so custom custom.

Post by dbostejano »

Wow so to grade a Walking Dead 1 if you hope for 9.8 it's gonna cost about 60.00?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

dbostejano wrote:Wow so to grade a Walking Dead 1 if you hope for 9.8 it's gonna cost about 60.00?
No, put it down as a modern book worth $200 (ungraded) and it will cost $17 to slab.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

toddyboy wrote:
Is it worth more than $3,000? If not, the slabbing will cost $85.
(If you have 3 books of that caliber, you can get all three slabbed for $109.)

For books worth more than $3,000, the cost of slabbing is $25 per $1,000 with a minimum fee of $120.

The only way slabbing a comic costs $1,000+ is if the comic itself is worth $40,000+. (2.5% of value)

The CGC service at that price point is more about "authetication" than just grading.
You would want a team of experts looking at a book worth $40,000+ whether you're buying or selling.
Should that team of experts charge a % of the market value? That's debatable...
but it seems clear that the benefit to both the buyer and the seller is more than the 2.5%.

Auction houses don't really do anything and they get 10%+.
Last edited by greg on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:29:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggr1103

Post by aggr1103 »

I'd love to see a legitimate competitor to CGC finally rise up. Seems like baseball and trading cards have like 5 different grading agencies they can use these days.

There's great presentation in having a comic book slabbed. That matters to some folks.

toddyboy

Post by toddyboy »

thanks for the info guys.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

greg wrote:
dbostejano wrote:Wow so to grade a Walking Dead 1 if you hope for 9.8 it's gonna cost about 60.00?
No, put it down as a modern book worth $200 (ungraded) and it will cost $17 to slab.
Ah, if it were only true. Sending that book in alone would probably cost about $50 with all the shipping costs added on.

terreth
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by terreth »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts all.

I find this topic very interesting.

Another question that comes to mind is how will the industry continue to change in light of slabbing? For instance:

1) If slabbing value is a bubble that will eventually burst, how should collectors and investors approach this?

2) If slabbing is here to stay, how should that effect the way collectors or investors approach it?

Perhaps their is a parallel here in the feelings some people have in overall comic marketing (comic shops vs. Wal Mart, etc. & issues vs. collected editions).

I have been tending to think lately that the gap between collectors and investors is growing as time goes on.

Any thoughts?

Escaflown4

Post by Escaflown4 »

terreth wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts all.

I find this topic very interesting.

Another question that comes to mind is how will the industry continue to change in light of slabbing? For instance:

1) If slabbing value is a bubble that will eventually burst, how should collectors and investors approach this?

2) If slabbing is here to stay, how should that effect the way collectors or investors approach it?

Perhaps their is a parallel here in the feelings some people have in overall comic marketing (comic shops vs. Wal Mart, etc. & issues vs. collected editions).

I have been tending to think lately that the gap between collectors and investors is growing as time goes on.

Any thoughts?
If the CGC bubble would ever burst, I doubt it will have much effect on Golden Age books and Silver Age major key issues. Anything from the Bronze to Modern books will most likely take the biggest impact. If you're really concerned with long term investment in slabs, I would focus on Golden and Silver Age.

aggr1103

Post by aggr1103 »

This whole discussion reminds me of the arguments for "significant" comic book issues. Investors put scarcity and value ahead of overall impact of a comic to the medium or change of canon in a series.

aggr1103

Post by aggr1103 »

Finally coming to terms with my slabbing frustrations. It took some pm's from folks who shared my anger towards the snobbery of grading to help me get centered about the issue.

The majority of the grading snobs focus on modern tier comics, which through slabbing provides them inflated value. A 9.8 comic that came out this month is really just worth cover price and not more. All the slab does is inflate its value. Eventually, in my opinion, this bubble will burst on modern tier 9.8's. I think more modern cgc submissions will focus on signature series as a justifiable means of increasing a modern comics value.

I still believe that if a comic means something to you and you want it encapsulated - slab it. No matter the age.

As far as golden and silver age comics, I believe slabbing provides legit accuracy of grade for sale and trade, as well as assists in determining its value against other issues sold.

terreth

Post by terreth »

aggr1103 wrote:Finally coming to terms with my slabbing frustrations. It took some pm's from folks who shared my anger towards the snobbery of grading to help me get centered about the issue.

The majority of the grading snobs focus on modern tier comics, which through slabbing provides them inflated value. A 9.8 comic that came out this month is really just worth cover price and not more. All the slab does is inflate its value. Eventually, in my opinion, this bubble will burst on modern tier 9.8's. I think more modern cgc submissions will focus on signature series as a justifiable means of increasing a modern comics value.

I still believe that if a comic means something to you and you want it encapsulated - slab it. No matter the age.

As far as golden and silver age comics, I believe slabbing provides legit accuracy of grade for sale and trade, as well as assists in determining its value against other issues sold.
:thumb: Well said.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

ckb wrote:
greg wrote:
Ah, if it were only true. Sending that book in alone would probably cost about $50 with all the shipping costs added on.
I sent in 5 books to be graded, and it ended up costing me an average of $22 per book for grading and shipping to & fro.

Five seems to be the breaking point number for us who don't slab a lot, if ever past the first time.

-slym

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Comics are meant to be read - not slabbed. I refuse to buy CGCs and not because of the price, but because I can't open up my **** book! :!:

You know what I really like the most about old/old comics? Especially the Golden Age ones -- the smell. Yeah I'm a dork! :lol:

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

BruceReville wrote:Comics are meant to be read - not slabbed. I refuse to buy CGCs and not because of the price, but because I can't open up my **** book! :!:

You know what I really like the most about old/old comics? Especially the Golden Age ones -- the smell. Yeah I'm a dork! :lol:
I know what you mean. Draco got me a JLA v1 #2 for my birthday and the first thing I did was smell it and it was good.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Drift wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Comics are meant to be read - not slabbed. I refuse to buy CGCs and not because of the price, but because I can't open up my **** book! :!:

I know what you mean. Draco got me a JLA v1 #2 for my birthday and the first thing I did was smell it and it was good.

Yeah that was a cool moment watching someone else enjoy that dank musty flavour, plus we got some kooky looks from some freaks on the other pool table.

:wink:

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Draco wrote:
Drift wrote:

Yeah that was a cool moment watching someone else enjoy that dank musty flavour, plus we got some kooky looks from some freaks on the other pool table.

:lol: freaks on the pool table... from the peeps smelling old paper! :lol: :thumb:

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

I've been going through my old ASMs. I think the smell is nasty.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Draco wrote:
Drift wrote:

That's fantastic and quite a gift :clap:

One of my buds and I have often done that when we break open an old 60's issue or so...I love the smell of old comic newsprint! It's the scent of nostalgia --- non-comic people will just never understand :roll: