CGC Turnaround Times

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
CGC Turnaround Times

Post by StarBrand »

I sent four books off to CGC, and they posted them as received September 5th. They posted them as graded yesterday, September 20th. They haven't posted the grades yet, but so far that seems pretty fast to me. Of course, they haven't shipped them back to me yet.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Re: CGC Turnaround Times

Post by ckb »

What service did you use? If it was modern service, that's terrific. After falling to undreamed of depths they have brought things back into line.

If you used grading coupons, you get on an accelerated pace, Standard I think, which was never that far behind.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

ckb wrote:What service did you use? If it was modern service, that's terrific. After falling to undreamed of depths they have brought things back into line.

If you used grading coupons, you get on an accelerated pace, Standard I think, which was never that far behind.
I used the coupon for four graded books that comes with the type of membership I signed up for.

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
CGC Turnaround Times

Post by BloodShot »

StarBrand wrote:
ckb wrote:What service did you use? If it was modern service, that's terrific. After falling to undreamed of depths they have brought things back into line.

I used the coupon for four graded books that comes with the type of membership I signed up for.
Then your coupon was for "Standard" service, which AFAIK is a 15 (business) day turn-around time. Based on that, it sounds like you're right on track.

Also, just in case you don't know, your grades will not post until they physically ship out your slabs.
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BloodShot wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

Then your coupon was for "Standard" service, which AFAIK is a 15 (business) day turn-around time. Based on that, it sounds like you're right on track.

Also, just in case you don't know, your grades will not post until they physically ship out your slabs.
I didn't know that about when my grades will post. Thanks. They once posted a book of mine was graded 9.9, but when it arrived it was a 9.8. I was really let down. I did get a real 9.9 once, though.
One thing I will compliment CGC on. On my Magnus One For One I noticed they entered the wrong notes for it. Their notes said Shhoter, Reinhold, and someone else were creators on the book. They had it confused with the regular Magnus #1 that Dark Horse put out. The Magnus One For One reprints the original Magnus #1, and the creator is, or course, Russ Manning. The day they posted the wrong noted on that book, I called them, explained their mistake and that they had never graded a Magnus One For One before, and they changed their notes on the book that very same day.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

StarBrand wrote:I sent four books off to CGC, and they posted them as received September 5th. They posted them as graded yesterday, September 20th. They haven't posted the grades yet, but so far that seems pretty fast to me. Of course, they haven't shipped them back to me yet.
How do you know about received and graded book dates? I have a CGC charge on my CC on the 2nd, and the charge was higher than what I selected (fast track modern). Unless shipping was something crazy like $60, they must have upped the service (and charge). I know I'm in Canada, but I hope to be getting these soon (especially if I was charged 10 days ago)....

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Just got my books, shipping from CGC was $60! :o I guess fast-tracking the books had something to do with it, I didn't see anywhere on their website about what shipping might run. Opening the package helped lighten the load!

If you look to the right, the third book out of the package is a CEAR (green label) 9.8.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

What service did you use for return shipping? I sent off my 4 coupon books recently and used the USPS registered & insured option, "only" cost $42. FedEx & UPS were higher, and carried less insurance.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

slym2none wrote:What service did you use for return shipping? I sent off my 4 coupon books recently and used the USPS registered & insured option, "only" cost $42. FedEx & UPS were higher, and carried less insurance.

-slym
I can't remember service, I know I initially was invoiced for $30/35, and it got marked up to $60. I suppose it was related to the fast-track, otherwise the increased shipping cost should be defaulted when I submit the form.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

I had a 15-day Standard coupon submission take 17 days at CGC at received the books 3 days after I saw they had been marked graded.

Now, to sell my X-Men 94 CGC 9.2 and use some of that money to pay for an all-modern sub...

:D

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

GGSAE wrote:
slym2none wrote:What service did you use for return shipping? I sent off my 4 coupon books recently and used the USPS registered & insured option, "only" cost $42. FedEx & UPS were higher, and carried less insurance.
I can't remember service, I know I initially was invoiced for $30/35, and it got marked up to $60. I suppose it was related to the fast-track, otherwise the increased shipping cost should be defaulted when I submit the form.
Dang.

In related news, the box came in on Friday, the shipping charge clearly marked onthe label - $15 and change. So, minus the $5 submission form fee ( ??? ) I paid $22 for their box & bubble-wrap.

facepalm

C'mon, CGC... that's as bad, if not worse, a mark-up on S&H than the items sold via 30-minute infomercials at 2AM.

-slym

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

slym2none wrote:
Dang.

In related news, the box came in on Friday, the shipping charge clearly marked onthe label - $15 and change. So, minus the $5 submission form fee ( ??? ) I paid $22 for their box & bubble-wrap.

facepalm

C'mon, CGC... that's as bad, if not worse, a mark-up on S&H than the items sold via 30-minute infomercials at 2AM.

-slym

Wow, that is some expensive box, bubble-wrap and "handling" fees :(

But Holy Crap, Nice on the 9.2 on that book!! :clap: Good luck with your sale on this one, is it up on ebay? I see one listed there now for 1099. Is that you?

Care to elaborate on what you are looking to get in your modern-sub? Looking at VEI, or trying out some of the new x-titles?
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

CGC received my four books I used with the coupon for renewing my membership this year on September 2nd. So far they have them only marked as verified. I have another package there of 15 books they marked received on September 8th. Those are still marked as received.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

My first package at CGC is scheduled for grading! Any idea how long it will be now? My second package was bumped up to verified as well today.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

StarBrand wrote:My first package at CGC is scheduled for grading! Any idea how long it will be now?
A while.

-slym

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

slym2none wrote:
StarBrand wrote:My first package at CGC is scheduled for grading! Any idea how long it will be now?
A while.

-slym
They've only had it 14 days, so if it's a 45 day turnaround it could be. It's on a renewed membership coupon, though. Maybe those are faster. Lol

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

They've had my box for 20 days and it's only listed as Received. Not yet Verified.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

nycjadie wrote:They've had my box for 20 days and it's only listed as Received. Not yet Verified.
They've had my 2nd box 14 days, and it's marked received. :-|

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

My second order has been at CGC now for nearly two months! :!: Maybe it has so much value that they need to hire an armor truck to personally deliver it to me. :lol:

Mkb28

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

When CGC changed their modern tier to go back to 1975, which I believe was in response to CBCS starting up, that surely resulted in increased submissions.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

They've had my current package of 15 books for 37 days, and it's marked received. I'm thinking of sending another group of books to them in the next day or two, with an eye to it taking a couple months.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Seems neither company is doing very well on TATs, but at least CBCS has a real issue to take the blame.

Still, until I see a good bit of hard evidence (and not just a few sales here and there) that show CBCS is at least equal to CGC in prices realized, I will stick with CGC. I do have a few "new" modern tier books that I want to send in - a few X-Men that were not "modern" until CGC rolled back the dates.

I can get three of those graded for what one would have cost just a few months back.

-slym

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

slym2none wrote:Seems neither company is doing very well on TATs, but at least CBCS has a real issue to take the blame.

Still, until I see a good bit of hard evidence (and not just a few sales here and there) that show CBCS is at least equal to CGC in prices realized, I will stick with CGC. I do have a few "new" modern tier books that I want to send in - a few X-Men that were not "modern" until CGC rolled back the dates.

I can get three of those graded for what one would have cost just a few months back.

-slym
I'm probably going to split my submissions between CGC and CBCS. Mainly because I'm anal retentive and don't like multiple submissions waiting for grading. That means I generally will only submit one batch then wait to get that batch back before submitting another. With CGC and CBCS I can at least submit 2 batches without offending my anal retentive nature.

CGC Still owes me a grade on my Gold Key Star Trek #1. I've been waiting since July 25th.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

nscc wrote:Care to elaborate on what you are looking to get in your modern-sub? Looking at VEI, or trying out some of the new x-titles?
Didn't mean to miss this...

My next sub will be half late BA/early CA X-Men (95, 98, 99, 106, 118, & 125) and the rest is modern-moderns, like the Midtown JSC-drawn Sabrina cover, and one book I am waiting for in the mail (a NYCC variant.) I might also throw in "New" X-Men 128&129, but I am on the fence with those. I also have a small stack of books that need a little "attention" first (read:pressing) that will go someday... someday... (Magnus 12, UXM 282 newsstand, and some others I can't remember right now.)

:)

-slym

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Intrepidxc wrote:
slym2none wrote:Seems neither company is doing very well on TATs, but at least CBCS has a real issue to take the blame.

I'm probably going to split my submissions between CGC and CBCS. Mainly because I'm anal retentive and don't like multiple submissions waiting for grading. That means I generally will only submit one batch then wait to get that batch back before submitting another. With CGC and CBCS I can at least submit 2 batches without offending my anal retentive nature.

CGC Still owes me a grade on my Gold Key Star Trek #1. I've been waiting since July 25th.
Good luck!

:hope:

-slym