Magnus #11 CGC 9.8 Census Increase

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
Magnus #11 CGC 9.8 Census Increase

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the census has been increasing gradually over the past few months on Magnus #11 CGC 9.8. It seemed like last year there were 11-12 copies and now there are 27, with one seller on ebay selling three or four copies over the last few months. Thoughts?

VEI Reborn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Re: Magnus #11 CGC 9.8 Census Increase

Post by VEI Reborn »

Pressing has become very common and with the prices #11 were getting....why not bust out a press and send in some copies.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Untouched quantities of some of these books still exist.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the census has been increasing gradually over the past few months on Magnus #11 CGC 9.8. It seemed like last year there were 11-12 copies and now there are 27, with one seller on ebay selling three or four copies over the last few months. Thoughts?
Isn't that the general problem with grading? Every single item you own graded increases in quantity available over time, lowering the perceived 'rarity' of your item? I am sure there are still people with cases of that (or almost any) book that put them away when they bought them for their kids' college fund.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

paradise wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the census has been increasing gradually over the past few months on Magnus #11 CGC 9.8. It seemed like last year there were 11-12 copies and now there are 27, with one seller on ebay selling three or four copies over the last few months. Thoughts?
Isn't that the general problem with grading? Every single item you own graded increases in quantity available over time, lowering the perceived 'rarity' of your item? I am sure there are still people with cases of that (or almost any) book that put them away when they bought them for their kids' college fund.
I'm trying to get a MRF #11 CGC 9.8, however I won't pay the prices that are being asked for them on eBay since I too noticed the increased CGC census numbers. I'm hoping that the new availability of these books will result in some reasonable prices in the future.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Intrepidxc wrote:
paradise wrote:
I'm trying to get a MRF #11 CGC 9.8, however I won't pay the prices that are being asked for them on eBay since I too noticed the increased CGC census numbers. I'm hoping that the new availability of these books will result in some reasonable prices in the future.
Unless the prices of Magnus 11 raw increase significantly (highly doubt it in the short-term), the prices should come down. I refuse to buy any slab where there's a real disconnect between the graded copies and raws.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

VEI Reborn wrote:Pressing has become very common and with the prices #11 were getting....why not bust out a press and send in some copies.
For someone not that familiar with pressing, how exactly is it more common on this book than any other book. Let's just use Harby #1 for argument's sake...

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Same seller is auctioning several CGC 9.8 Archer & Armstrong 0 and CGC 9.8 Shadowman 8. I would think the smart thing to do is space out the sales. You are just asking for disappointing closing prices by offering so many at one time.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

greatbrandino11
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Intrepidxc wrote:
paradise wrote:
You'll be getting them dirt cheap sooner than later with the way people are submitting for grading.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

GGSAE wrote:
VEI Reborn wrote:Pressing has become very common and with the prices #11 were getting....why not bust out a press and send in some copies.
For someone not that familiar with pressing, how exactly is it more common on this book than any other book. Let's just use Harby #1 for argument's sake...
Harbinger #1 has a tendency to split on the cover fold, so pressing might actually cause damage.
Books with covers that don't split can usually benefit from pressing.

greg

Post by greg »

Magnus #11 and Magnus #13 have always been harder to get in CGC 9.8 because fewer were submitted.
I don't believe there's anything special about Magnus #11 and #13, so the higher prices were only a result of the lower census numbers.

Since neither book has "other" reasons to be valuable, the demand was totally based on the supply.
Completing a pre-Unity set would require having both books, and that is most likely the reason the prices have been high in the past.

If the CGC census increases to the point that #11 and #13 are as easy to get as #10 or #14, the prices would probably be essentially the same for all 4 books.

#12 will always stand out as a pre-Unity key because of the first Valiant appearance of Turok.
The CGC census for #12 has always been higher than #11 or #13 because #12 has always been collectible.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

And the reason there were fewer submitted is because I have never, ever, had a quantity of Magnus 11 or 13 to pick from - because I was never able to buy a quantity. If I did I would have submitted them. In general, it's usually safe to assume that I was responsible for submitting a sizeable chunk of the low demand pre-unity books on the census (and a nice percentage of the other ones too :) ) over the years. If I had more of them gradeworthy, they would all be on the census by now.

I don't know if it's luck or whatever with 11, 13, and to some extent 14. I always have had plenty of 8s, 9s and 10s. The Vintage Magnus books also fall into the "never had a lot of them" category. There are legitimate condition problems with those, though. With 11 and 13 the condition problems are going to be mainly from too much sloshing around in the cheap boxes.

greg

Post by greg »

I never had a particular reason to pick up raw copies of Magnus 10, 11, 13, or 14, and I have ended up with roughly the same number of each (plus or minus 2). :hm:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

greatbrandino11 wrote:Same seller is auctioning several CGC 9.8 Archer & Armstrong 0 and CGC 9.8 Shadowman 8. I would think the smart thing to do is space out the sales. You are just asking for disappointing closing prices by offering so many at one time.
This depends on the raw stock in hand.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

If a seller had a pack or a case of these 9.8 candidates. It woud not make sense to submit/slab them all at one time since you will deliberately increase the census numbers to a larger number increasing the supply.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

drmirage wrote:If a seller had a pack or a case of these 9.8 candidates. It woud not make sense to submit/slab them all at one time since you will deliberately increase the census numbers to a larger number increasing the supply.
It's possible the person subbing the books doesn't understand the Valiant CGC market. They see prices on an outlier book because the supply is low (doesn't know the book is quite cheap raw), and thinks there's enough demand to satisfy the increase.