Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Daredevil #1 Need Help Evaluating

Post by mkb28 »

Hello Everyone:

I have come across quite a collection of DC and Marvel books in my area and I found a copy of Daredevil #1, which I would love to add to my collection. The Seller told me to make an offer and I need your help evaluating this book for condition and possible value. Here are some pics I took:

I noticed some staining on the back cover so I asked the Seller to take some pictures of the inside of the book:

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael
Last edited by mkb28 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:41:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkb28
Re: Daredevil #1 Need Help Evaluating

Post by mkb28 »

Here is a larger picture of the front and back covers:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

It’s all about the cover and I can’t see it really through the plastic. I too would love that book!

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

It is a great copy. Your interior pictures don't show the centerfold. Be sure there are 8 wraps plus the cover. Pages and interior of the cover are so white I would expect no rust on the staples.

It is going to top out at fine. I am a bit worried about some of the wrinkling in the light of the water spots. If the wrinkling is from water damage it will top out at VG.

Here is a sale or two. Yours looks nicer that that 3.5, depending on the water.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384956998637?h ... SwSD9iriXV
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325270613828?h ... SwuVBi0ZVR

Even with all the uncertainty, and given the pages are all there, I would be comfortable with paying $1500 just from the photos. In hand it's likely going to bring that offer up. If it grades out at fine at CGC it is worth much more.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

ckb wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:11:39 pm It is a great copy. Your interior pictures don't show the centerfold. Be sure there are 8 wraps plus the cover. Pages and interior of the cover are so white I would expect no rust on the staples.

It is going to top out at fine. I am a bit worried about some of the wrinkling in the light of the water spots. If the wrinkling is from water damage it will top out at VG.

Here is a sale or two. Yours looks nicer that that 3.5, depending on the water.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384956998637?h ... SwSD9iriXV
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325270613828?h ... SwuVBi0ZVR

Even with all the uncertainty, and given the pages are all there, I would be comfortable with paying $1500 just from the photos. In hand it's likely going to bring that offer up. If it grades out at fine at CGC it is worth much more.
Thank you, Chris! Great information! I think the Seller and I are worlds apart. I offered $1,000 and she said she posted the book on an on-line grading community site and they told her it would grade 4.0-5.0 and it is worth $3,500 with a pressing and cleaning. I tried to explain that she would have to pay all of the fees associated with getting the book pressed, cleaned, and graded, plus the shipping costs to and from CGC. I also tried to tell her that grading the book from pictures was not a sure thing. I asked her for the best price she is looking for and I have not heard back, so I think we may be done negotiating at this point. :(

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

No response from the Seller, but I did increase my offer to $1,500 cash. :hope:

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

I love all these people who come to my shop saying "if you get it graded it's worth X." Yeah, but it's not and we don't know the grade and it's going to take a long time to get it back from grading, so unless you are willing to do that I'm not getting that. Even if it was graded, we aren't offering the sales price cause what point is that for us to break even?

It's a really nice looking copy other than that back. $1500 based on those picks and the sales linked is a more than fair offer. They can eBay it themselves if they want more.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Just a quick update to share. I increased my offer from $1,500 to $1,750, but she said they won’t take anything less than $2,000. She said they have an “expert” coming today to evaluate the books for grading, pressing, and cleaning. Sounds like she is using a middleman to get key books graded at CGC. I wonder if they will end up making more than my offer after they pay for his services, grading, seller fees, etc? Only time will tell. She said the expert told her he could clean up the back cover of the Daredevil book with no problem. I wished her good luck and told her I hope they get a nice grade on the book.

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Based on the sales linked for what seem like lower grade books than this one, yes, they will net well over $1750 if they find a buyer. They always would if they bothered to do all of this.

If they wanted to sell it as is, no, they weren't going to do better.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

SwiftMann wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:17:41 pm Based on the sales linked for what seem like lower grade books than this one, yes, they will net well over $1750 if they find a buyer. They always would if they bothered to do all of this.

If they wanted to sell it as is, no, they weren't going to do better.
:thumb: Thanks, Brother!