CGC SS Con Etiquette and Tips

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
CGC SS Con Etiquette and Tips

Post by nycjadie »

I'm getting ready for ECCC and I've got a bunch of books I'd like to get the SS treatment on. I understand the fees involved, but can anyone provide thoughts/experience on etiquette with the artists? Do you talk to the artist first to see if they will sign before a signature, or do you just have the witness hover? I could get many at this con. Thanks!

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: CGC SS Con Etiquette and Tips

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Thursday and Friday are the best days for "business", At least, that's what I have found. It is good to know if there are any fees with artists, so a quick walk through might be best. I try and utilize twitter to find out fees, so I am prepared. Maybe there are some artists that don't sign (haven't met any yet), again Twitter is good for that.

Make your way to the booth, fill out the paperwork and let them know what (and who) you plan on having sign. If you are early enough, there will be plenty of witnesses hanging around.

I always have a route laid out so that I know exactly where I am going. This allows the witness to get back as quick as possible. The witness is just kind of a tag-along, as they are there just to watch the signature happen. I'll usually talk a little with the artist, but don't take too much time, as both you and the witness have got to get to the next one. I always double back and save the longer thank you's so there are fewer people waiting on my actions.

If you plan on getting any art slabbed, I always go and take a look at it first. This will give the artist all the ooohs and aaaahhs they deserve. Then, go and fill out the paperwork, get a witness, pick up the art, then head back to the booth.

Sorry if this sounds like noob-splaining, this is just what I do for all of my SS Slabs.

I'll have a few, so I imagine I will see you at the CGC booth!
Moose