CGC Resubmissions

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger
CGC Resubmissions

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Would some of you mind sharing your personal CGC resubmission stories? I've never cracked open a case to resubmit, and truthfully, I'm very hesitant to do it. I have a 9.6 ASM 300 and a 9.6 Uncanny X-Men 266 that I think could come back at a 9.8. I bought both of these books in their current state about 8 to 10 years ago.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: CGC Resubmissions

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I've redone a good handful of them. Many, I have had increases in grading. I will lead by saying I knew what the faults were before I cracked the slab, like smudges, lightly bent (non color breaking) corner, finger prints, etc. I would highly suggest you know what the faults are in the book before you crack the book open. If you have a color break somewhere, or some spine problem, cracking it open and pressing it or re-submitting it probably won't fix the issues. But, if you have a simple fix that you know can be corrected, then I say go for it!

I've resubmitted roughly 10 books, but all are below the 9.6 range. I've targeted 9.4's that I can find information on, or I can see the flaws are not great ones, and have turned many into 9.6's
Moose

greatbrandino11

TheeBaldMoose wrote:I've redone a good handful of them. Many, I have had increases in grading. I will lead by saying I knew what the faults were before I cracked the slab, like smudges, lightly bent (non color breaking) corner, finger prints, etc. I would highly suggest you know what the faults are in the book before you crack the book open. If you have a color break somewhere, or some spine problem, cracking it open and pressing it or re-submitting it probably won't fix the issues. But, if you have a simple fix that you know can be corrected, then I say go for it!

I've resubmitted roughly 10 books, but all are below the 9.6 range. I've targeted 9.4's that I can find information on, or I can see the flaws are not great ones, and have turned many into 9.6's
Good idea. Thanks for the response.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:I've redone a good handful of them. Many, I have had increases in grading. I will lead by saying I knew what the faults were before I cracked the slab, like smudges, lightly bent (non color breaking) corner, finger prints, etc. I would highly suggest you know what the faults are in the book before you crack the book open. If you have a color break somewhere, or some spine problem, cracking it open and pressing it or re-submitting it probably won't fix the issues. But, if you have a simple fix that you know can be corrected, then I say go for it!

CGC does allow you to view their responses to the grading, but you have to pay $5 each for them (unless they are under your account)
Moose

greatbrandino11

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:

CGC does allow you to view their responses to the grading, but you have to pay $5 each for them (unless they are under your account)
I have purchased notes once before. I bought an Iron Man 54 CGC 9.2 a couple of years ago and it looked like a 9.8 (still does). I bought the notes to find out what was up. It has a hairline tear on the cover that is very easy to miss. I was able to see it once the notes pointed it out. Thanks again for the reminder. It's a risk to resubmit so it is good to do the research.

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version

Post by aj583 »

I submitted my first batch of books to CGC. I noticed that some of my slabs had notes in my account screens, but many slabs did not have any notes. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

aj583 wrote:I submitted my first batch of books to CGC. I noticed that some of my slabs had notes in my account screens, but many slabs did not have any notes. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, I have. If they are 9.8's, then more than likely you won't get any grader notes. If it's anything lower, you might want to call them (great customer service), and they might be able to help you locate them.
Moose

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Depending on when you bought the ASM #300 9.6 it might be worth a shot. If it was after the original Spiderman 3 movie, prices were really down. If it comes back a 9.8 you will be in great shape. I think you can send it to be pressed in the CGC case if you are worried about transit damage, or just have it pressed/graded at a show.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

My experience

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 11&t=49794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

The 6.0 to a 9.4 was pretty awesome.

greatbrandino11

An interesting scenario. I just checked my ASM 300 in the CGC census. It was graded in 2009 at 9.6 and has no grader notes available. The book looks really good. I'm really, really thinking about resubmitting now.

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

greatbrandino11 wrote:An interesting scenario. I just checked my ASM 300 in the CGC census. It was graded in 2009 at 9.6 and has no grader notes available. The book looks really good. I'm really, really thinking about resubmitting now.

Can you post a scan? We can help you decide :clap:

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

I've done a lot of silver/golden age re-submissions, with about a 75-80% success rate, but as mentioned, you need to make sure the pressing can fix the defect. And that the cost is worth it. Moving a $200 book from 6.0 to 6.5 isn't worth, but moving a 6.5 to a 7.0 or a 8.5 to a 9.0 can be a multi-thousand dollar gain. Pressing, shipping, resubmitting can run $100+ a book, so keep that in mind.

I've had a PGX 5.0 go to a CGC 7.0 (my biggest sigh of relief ever when no resto), and I've had an 8.5 dirty go to a brialliant, gleaming, beautiful book, and still remain an 8.5.

Haven't had one go down yet.

Also, be careful with some early Valiant books. They won't hold up well to multiple pressings, or even a single press. I had a few Harbinger #1 go bad when pressed, because the seams split, and that was with a top presser.

It can be fun, but never a sure thing.

greatbrandino11

The picture I took of the top right corner of the back cover did not turn out well for some reason.

greatbrandino11

Good luck being able to see anything in these pictures. I went through the trouble of posting them and they come up as thumbnails. Oh well.

apacseller
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

Might be better to share the grader notes. If it says something like "small tear, or crease that breaks color," a press won't do anything.

greatbrandino11

apacseller wrote:Might be better to share the grader notes. If it says something like "small tear, or crease that breaks color," a press won't do anything.
it says no grader notes available

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
apacseller wrote:Might be better to share the grader notes. If it says something like "small tear, or crease that breaks color," a press won't do anything.
It could have been done in a time where they didn't offer Graders Notes. I also know that in 2009 (when this book was slabbed), many didn't press their books for fear of it hurting the book (lack of knowledge).

If you have a Con coming up, where you can get sigs on it, that might be the best time. To me, it's a double win. You have the potential of a 9.8 and you get sigs. Even if it comes back as a 9.6, you still get sigs, so it's a win!
Moose

greatbrandino11

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:
It could have been done in a time where they didn't offer Graders Notes. I also know that in 2009 (when this book was slabbed), many didn't press their books for fear of it hurting the book (lack of knowledge).

If you have a Con coming up, where you can get sigs on it, that might be the best time. To me, it's a double win. You have the potential of a 9.8 and you get sigs. Even if it comes back as a 9.6, you still get sigs, so it's a win!
It will definitely be pressed. My only fear is that since this is one of the more popular books to submit to CGC, they may be a little more strict on grading, and what would probably be a 9.8 for any other book, they may consider a 9.6 for this one.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:

It will definitely be pressed. My only fear is that since this is one of the more popular books to submit to CGC, they may be a little more strict on grading, and what would probably be a 9.8 for any other book, they may consider a 9.6 for this one.
While I know nothing about their policy regarding more popular books, I would imagine they could care less the book, and grade it versus a standard. If I were running that style of business, that's exactly what I would want to relay to the people, that it doesn't matter the book/magazine/duma-flachie, I grade it versus a set standard, not influenced on popularity.
Moose

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

This was book was harder to get in 9.8 in years past due to a printing defect (don't remember what is was) but CGC started taking that into account and more 9.8s were graded. Yours maybe have been graded before that was taken into account. If you don't mind me asking, what do you have into the booK? The risk is worth it in my opinion. Couldn't really figure out anything from the pics. Anything you see that can be improved?

greatbrandino11

maraxusofkeld wrote:This was book was harder to get in 9.8 in years past due to a printing defect (don't remember what is was) but CGC started taking that into account and more 9.8s were graded. Yours maybe have been graded before that was taken into account. If you don't mind me asking, what do you have into the booK? The risk is worth it in my opinion. Couldn't really figure out anything from the pics. Anything you see that can be improved?
I paid $179 total about 9 years ago through Heritage. Truthfully, I don't think pressing will help too much. I have seen 9.8s that look worse than this book so I may try my luck. I'll see if I can get better pictures posted this weekend.