CGC Submission Questions

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tevans333
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
CGC Submission Questions

Post by tevans333 »

Hi All, I've never submitted to CGC before, but am considering dropping some books off tomorrow at a local Con that they will be at.

My first questions is, do I need to be a member? I see on their site there are 3 tiers with different membership fees.

If I do need to be a member, it looks like the middle tier for $150 is the best deal since you get a $150 credit. Can that credit be used to pay the grading fee?

edit: Also, does CGC offer pressing services, and is pressing worth it? I have a couple of books that got slightly bent and have a small noticeable crease in the middle of the spine.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: CGC Submission Questions

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I like their pressing service (CCS); however, I prefer their full pressing service to their quickpress option.

Anything worth pressing is worth pressing right. :thumb:

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

tevans333 wrote:Hi All, I've never submitted to CGC before, but am considering dropping some books off tomorrow at a local Con that they will be at.

My first questions is, do I need to be a member? I see on their site there are 3 tiers with different membership fees.

If I do need to be a member, it looks like the middle tier for $150 is the best deal since you get a $150 credit. Can that credit be used to pay the grading fee?

edit: Also, does CGC offer pressing services, and is pressing worth it? I have a couple of books that got slightly bent and have a small noticeable crease in the middle of the spine.
Yes and no on that $150 credit. If you are just dropping books to get pressed then graded, then you pay for the shipping, the pressing, they pay for the grading, you pay for the shipping back to you. If it is a signature series, then the credit does not go towards anything. I've had 40+ books graded this year, and only 1 of them was without a signature (oh, but it's pretty).

If you are going to go with the $150, and you don't plan on getting signatures, then ensure you have $150 worth of books to get graded (doesn't have to be all at once). Might as well use as much of that free credit as possible. If you are hunting sigs, just go crazy!

Guess it's all in what you want.
Moose

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

I also have a question. .I typed in to get my walking dead 1 pressed and graded. And it said it would cost over 100 dollars is that right? Seems kind steep to me

tevans333

Post by tevans333 »

Thanks for the replies, somehow I missed that this thread had been replied to!

I didn't wind up taking any in with me, just ran out of time to look them over.

I have 10 books that I plan to send in, none with sigs and only 5 of those I plan to have pressed. So I think I should be able to use up the $150 credit with my first submission if my understanding is correct.

So that leaves me with another questions; Can I send all 10 books to CCS and only have 5 pressed and have them forward all 10 to CGC to save on shipping? Or do I have to ship 5 to CCS and 5 to CGC in separate orders?

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

corey wrote:I also have a question. .I typed in to get my walking dead 1 pressed and graded. And it said it would cost over 100 dollars is that right? Seems kind steep to me
Corey, if you have a #1, first print book that probably costs $1200, then it's in a different category all together. Care has to be taken to ensure they don't destroy the book.

Now, don't get me wrong, care is taken with each book, but if they destroy a book that cost less than $200, then that's pretty easy to pay off. Your book costs a crazy amount, so they will probably personally walk it through. Had a friend that just graded a #1 Star Wars ($.35) with a guestimated cost of around $5k. His easily cost that much (I can't recall exactly the amount he spent). That book came out an 8.5, and is now one of the highest rated #1's (I believe. Again, I can't recall). So, let's say it hits a 9.6 or (I hope for you) a 9.8, is spending $100 to get it pressed worth the investment? I would say yes, but that's just me
Moose

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

tevans333 wrote:Thanks for the replies, somehow I missed that this thread had been replied to!

I have 10 books that I plan to send in, none with sigs and only 5 of those I plan to have pressed. So I think I should be able to use up the $150 credit with my first submission if my understanding is correct.

So that leaves me with another questions; Can I send all 10 books to CCS and only have 5 pressed and have them forward all 10 to CGC to save on shipping? Or do I have to ship 5 to CCS and 5 to CGC in separate orders?
Hmm, I don't know the answer to this one, but I can give you my thoughts. I would say no, as CCS only wants those books you want pressed, they don't want to be responsible for books they are not working on (what if they lost one? damaged one?). I'm guessing you would want to submit a totally different ticket, ship in a totally different box. It'll cost more (maybe) to ship separately, but it is what it is.
Moose

tevans333

Post by tevans333 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
tevans333 wrote:Thanks for the replies, somehow I missed that this thread had been replied to!

Hmm, I don't know the answer to this one, but I can give you my thoughts. I would say no, as CCS only wants those books you want pressed, they don't want to be responsible for books they are not working on (what if they lost one? damaged one?). I'm guessing you would want to submit a totally different ticket, ship in a totally different box. It'll cost more (maybe) to ship separately, but it is what it is.
That's what I was assuming, but would be nice to reduce shipping costs!

Since I've never graded or pressed anything before, could anyone wager a guess as to if pressing would substantially help out these creases? I don't expect the deeper ones to disappear completely, but to what degree would it help? How many points would this deduct after pressing (I know nobody here is a professional grader and will not be held to any guesses :D ), just looking to learn what to look for and how much certain things matter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I don't think these are worth pressing. Those are too damaged to garner a 9.6, which would be your minimum necessary to make it worth your time (if not a 9.8).

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Yea, gotta agree
Moose

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Yea, gotta agree
Hey Moose, how did you find the return shipping charges from CGC on your last sub? Also, did someone say if you create the CGC invoice (and pay) before June 1st, the current rates would apply? Been super-rammed lately, but maybe I'll spend a bit of time to create the invoice, I'll probably poll the board here for some questions.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

GGSAE wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Yea, gotta agree
Hey Moose, how did you find the return shipping charges from CGC on your last sub? Also, did someone say if you create the CGC invoice (and pay) before June 1st, the current rates would apply? Been super-rammed lately, but maybe I'll spend a bit of time to create the invoice, I'll probably poll the board here for some questions.
My last group I did at ECCC, so shipping cost was on the paperwork. I've never sent from home, and unfortunately I don't remember the brrakdown (my mind was melted by that point)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose