Saint Vanhook

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

VanHook
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!
RE: Artists and their moods

Post by VanHook »

JayJay's absolutely right. Everyone (including, perhaps ESPECIALLY artists) have those good days and bad days. Unfortunately it's that whole first impressions thing. As a fan who'd never met someone like Chaykin, that was a bad first impression. I'm sure I've done the same thing to somebody somewhere, even if I didn't mean to.

And some folks are characters. That's what they are and sometimes they're playing a role they've outlined for themselves. I really treasure the time I spent with Barry Windsor-Smith, but he is the character he projects--a moody, brilliant creative man who has little patience for ignorance and has a strong sense of what he feels is right and wrong and what he can and cannot endorse.

When I was at Valiant, Bob wouldn't sign his old Iron Man stuff. I gave him a hard time about it, but he felt he wanted to promote Valiant--where he was at the time.

While I didn't end up working with Shooter for another 10 years, I met him about six months after that Chaykin encounter and he was friendly, took time to look over my work and discuss it in detail, find a place away from other fans and just devote ten or fifteen minutes to helping me get where I wanted to go. I've never forgotten that and I made a point of telling him when we worked together.

As for JRJR, I've never met him, but I've only heard good things till now. He's a helluvan artist, creating a look and style unique from his father that has a wonderful vibrancy to it. I'm leaning toward that being a third-hand management guy opening his trap inappropriately. Of course, there may have been concern about liability. (If they forgot to send the piece back, if it was lost in the mail, whatever)

My list would be unending if I were to attempt to name all the good folks I've ran into. It's a field where people dream of doing it and that love carries over. That commonality between the fans and the creators is what creates a bond. The love of the medium.

KV
I had a dream that I was falling through time. I am falling still.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

x-omatic wrote:I know SonicDan had a problem getting a commission from a former Valiant artist as well.
Maybe you think of Dan's more recent slow delivery, but you remind me of the Art Nichols fiasco, which certainly counts as a negative experience. To be honest, he was very nice and pleasant, but he took money from maybe a dozen people, maybe more, and has not delivered yet. Neither has he returned the stuff I sent along for signing. Noone has been able to reach him the last years. I guess I had supressed that one. I hope one day he will make good.
This was my first time paying a professional to do a picture for me, and I probably will not take the same chance again.
I know the feeling. I've also been hurt when being too trusting. On the other hand, there's all the positive experiences, like what the subject states.

/Magnus