What sort of plant was Edgewater?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
What sort of plant was Edgewater?

Post by Chiclo »

I recently re-read (for probably the fourth time) Solar Alpha and Omega and #s 1 - 4.

One thing jumped out at me - twice, anti-proton pumps are mentioned as part of the equipment, but they call the plant a fusion plant. But - in fusion, at least regular, run of the mill matter fusion, you would not use anti-protons.

If they were doing anti-matter fusion, there might be anti-proton radicals by themselves, but it would be much easier to deal with anti-matter alpha particles (two anti-protons, two anti-neutrons), but anti-matter is difficult to make and would yield the same amount of energy as fusing matter. In fact, you'd probably end up with a net negative yield of energy, definitely not something desirable for a power plant.

If it was an anti-matter plant, one that got energy out of particle/anti-particle annihilation, then anti-protons (negatrons) would make sense. They would be a little bit easier to deal with than anti-electrons (positrons) and the yield would be greater per particle/anti-particle annihilation event than when using positrons, but accordingly they would require more energy to make them and it's not like there's an anti-matter mine on the surface of the earth or even a readily known supply of them in the known universe (all fanciful theories aside).

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Was it a regular plant? Wasn't the whole thing designed by Phil, the comic book geek?

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Wasn't it not real and in a comic book?

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

I was under the impression that it was a normal nuke with Phil's little project on the side that caused all the trouble. I suppose anything odd was his fault.