Rai #0's rarely mentioned cover secret...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

motorhead wrote:New exclusive stuff for the board members, I think that this could be cool. I hope it works out!
:thumb:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8027

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program. :wink:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

k_c_collectibles wrote:
John Taddeo wrote:
Greg and I are working on getting every board member an exclusive version of the Bart cover. We're trying to figure it out with the printer. It will be limited to the number of board members at the time of printing.

JT
JT,

I know I have said this before, but you are a real class act! :thumb:

Thanks for doing this for us - I very much appreciate it!!!
Chris
Ditto!

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Dissavowed
No Longer A Registered User

Post by Dissavowed »

Greg, wow! awesome education, thanks :thumb:

However, I personally always felt the Rai#0 cover was greatly overrated :!:

sorry, just my opinion :|

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

no hu-way Jose! it's top 5 easy!

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Todd Luck wrote:But it's a bit different than someone swiping a cover (I've never actually heard of anyone sueing over something like that).
DC threatened to sue Acclaim over two proposed cover swipes. It was during the month that all Acclaim Heroes covers were homages to other famous covers. The two they got threatened over were an Action Comics #1 swipe with Magnus, & a House Of Secrets #92 swipe with Shadowman. These images only appear in ads. Acclaim even used the Action Comics #1 Magnus swipe for the cover of their retailer newsletter that month!---Steve

dave

Post by dave »

i like the cover swipe on harbinger 13, and the cover swipe on rai 24 too-although for years i didn't realize it was one...

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Vault-Keeper wrote:
Todd Luck wrote:But it's a bit different than someone swiping a cover (I've never actually heard of anyone sueing over something like that).
DC threatened to sue Acclaim over two proposed cover swipes. It was during the month that all Acclaim Heroes covers were homages to other famous covers. The two they got threatened over were an Action Comics #1 swipe with Magnus, & a House Of Secrets #92 swipe with Shadowman. These images only appear in ads. Acclaim even used the Action Comics #1 Magnus swipe for the cover of their retailer newsletter that month!---Steve
You're kidding :o .

DC had to be trying to intimidate them or bleed them of money. No decent lawyer could've possibly thought they really had a case. Those covers are unambigiously satire which is a protected form of speech. In other words, there's clearly no copyright infringement there. I can't imagine a judge even letting it go to trial.

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Todd Luck wrote:
Vault-Keeper wrote:

DC had to be trying to intimidate them or bleed them of money. No decent lawyer could've possibly thought they really had a case. Those covers are unambigiously satire which is a protected form of speech. In other words, there's clearly no copyright infringement there. I can't imagine a judge even letting it go to trial.
It must have scared Acclaim....they changed the covers...

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Vault-Keeper wrote:
Todd Luck wrote:
Vault-Keeper wrote:

That was probably the point on DC's part.

The fear is always that you might find a judge who's too stupid to know the law and it goes to court. Copy right cases tend to be long and cost A LOT of money so most companies try to aviod even the slightest possibilites of getting into one, even if there is no merit to the case. Unfortuantely it opens the gate for everyone to threaten to sue everyone else just as a tactic to bully and bleed their competition.

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Todd Luck wrote:
Vault-Keeper wrote:
Todd Luck wrote:
Vault-Keeper wrote:

That was probably the point on DC's part.

The fear is always that you might find a judge who's too stupid to know the law and it goes to court. Copy right cases tend to be long and cost A LOT of money so most companies try to aviod even the slightest possibilites of getting into one, even if there is no merit to the case. Unfortuantely it opens the gate for everyone to threaten to sue everyone else just as a tactic to bully and bleed their competition.
Let me call my lawyer to see if I can sue you two for using English in your posts. :roll:

DC just went down a little in my book. :|

~Unblessed

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Unblessed wrote:
Let me call my lawyer to see if I can sue you two for using English in your posts. :roll:

DC just went down a little in my book. :|

~Unblessed
If makes you feel any better any sizable company with stakes in trademarked or copyrighted material tends to use similar tactics. You can loose the right to use it if you don't sue people who infringe on your rights, so companies can be over zealose sometimes.

But I have a hard time believing a clear case of satire in a form that's so rediculously common in the industry (There are what? Thousands of tribute covers in existance?) was percieved as a legal threat. But you never know. I can imagine some lawyers can get legal-action happy in their advice to their clients (sometimes to justify their own existance on the payrole).

dave

Post by dave »

of course any time you read about some of the weird decisions that have been made in the past (criminal suing home-owner because he got hurt during a break-in...hot mcDonald's coffee...etc) it can make you crazy.

maybe now you guys understand me a bit more. :!:

chuckwood
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by chuckwood »

Vault-Keeper wrote:
Is it illegal to do a cover swipe? Is the Zoom Suit cover legal? Why would DC sue Acclaim and not Valiant for Rai 0?

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

chuckwood wrote:
Vault-Keeper wrote:
Is it illegal to do a cover swipe? Is the Zoom Suit cover legal? Why would DC sue Acclaim and not Valiant for Rai 0?
I would think this sort of suit is highly unusual otherwise we'ld be hearing about them every week. Cover swipes are EXTREMELY common in the comic industry and most clearly fall under satire which is a form of speech clearly protected from type of law suit. That's why it's mystifying they would've sued anyone over any cover. Like I said, it's probably an isolated single incident of an overzealose lawyer getting too sue happy (or somebody with an ax to grind with Accliam getting back at them).

The Zoom Suit covers should be fine legally. The only hassling they'll get for their swipes (or homages) will probably be from the fans :) .

dave

Post by dave »

i meant to mention earlier that i think i read somewhere that marvel wanted to sue valiant for x-o manowar, and the judge eventually ruled against them-because the confusion always worked to marvel's advantage..and the judge made a comment to the effect that marvel wanted to TM the letter "x"....made me laugh.

why did plasmer ever get cancelled anyway? terrific book.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

dave wrote:i like the cover swipe on harbinger 13, and the cover swipe on rai 24 too-although for years i didn't realize it was one...
OK, I know I've seen the comic, but damned if I can think of it - of what comic was Rai #24 a cover-swipe?

:!:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

The Spider
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by The Spider »

slym2none wrote:
dave wrote:i like the cover swipe on harbinger 13, and the cover swipe on rai 24 too-although for years i didn't realize it was one...
OK, I know I've seen the comic, but damned if I can think of it - of what comic was Rai #24 a cover-swipe?

-slym
Isn't it a swipe of RAI #1's cover?

John Taddeo
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by John Taddeo »

Todd Luck wrote:
chuckwood wrote:
Vault-Keeper wrote:
I would think this sort of suit is highly unusual otherwise we'ld be hearing about them every week. Cover swipes are EXTREMELY common in the comic industry and most clearly fall under satire which is a form of speech clearly protected from type of law suit. That's why it's mystifying they would've sued anyone over any cover. Like I said, it's probably an isolated single incident of an overzealose lawyer getting too sue happy (or somebody with an ax to grind with Accliam getting back at them).

The Zoom Suit covers should be fine legally. The only hassling they'll get for their swipes (or homages) will probably be from the fans :) .

So far we received only compliments from fans. The only one that said anything about the covers was Nakia Mann (the penciler on the animation and a huge Batman fan). He said the "hero lifting the car" thing makes him want to puke. Specificly, he said, "Every hero in comics sooner or later winds up lifting that stupid car. What's next? The punisher lifts the car? Alfred lifts the car . . .Wait John, here's an idea for you - next isue Jarvis lifts the car!"

So I said, "you're fired. Pack your *SQUEE* skippy"

and he said, "You know, the more I look at it . . .it's starting to grow on me. I think I may have been wrong. . . can I have my job back?"

So you see, no complaints.

JT

( . . .and Nakia is still employed)
Check out Zoom Suit at www.superverse.com
February Previews for April 2006 shipping.

Technique
Thatched Roof Cottages!!!
Thatched Roof Cottages!!!

Post by Technique »

John Taddeo wrote:...

So far we received only compliments from fans. The only one that said anything about the covers was Nakia Mann (the penciler on the animation and a huge Batman fan). He said the "hero lifting the car" thing makes him want to puke. Specificly, he said, "Every hero in comics sooner or later winds up lifting that stupid car. What's next? The punisher lifts the car? Alfred lifts the car . . .Wait John, here's an idea for you - next isue Jarvis lifts the car!"

So I said, "you're fired. Pack your *SKREE* skippy"

and he said, "You know, the more I look at it . . .it's starting to grow on me. I think I may have been wrong. . . can I have my job back?"

JT

:lol:

Good one, John :thumb:

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

Back on topic, sort of (okay, my tangent not yours):

So, does anyone have one of those signed Rai 0 issues with the multiple signatures in different colors across the Rai figure on the cover? Those look SWEET!
:hm:

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

John Taddeo wrote:

So I said, "you're fired. Pack your *SKREE* skippy"

JT

Actually that's almost EXACTLY what I posted about that cover! (Except I didn't think about Punisher lifting the car...hmmm, does Marvel still take submissions? :) ).

Actually I was thinking specifically about a group of online comic fans, I think it was on Newsarama, who had an entire thread on how Sears' work on Zoom suit was a cheap rip off. Why? Because one cover he did looks like an old cover he did for X-O. Really, you don't say? :o I wonder why? :| :) :D :lol:

It's amazing the amount of comic readers who don't understand what a homage is (and how I manage to run across all of them :) )
Last edited by Todd Luck on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:06:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

The Spider wrote:
slym2none wrote:

-slym
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yeesh.... what an idiot I am. Wracking my brain, thinking of the older Marvel and DC's..................

-slym ( <--- everybody point and laugh at the dumb-a$$)

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

slym2none wrote:
The Spider wrote:
slym2none wrote:

-slym
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yeesh.... what an idiot I am. Wracking my brain, thinking of the older Marvel and DC's..................

-slym ( <--- everybody point and laugh at the dumb-a$$)
Don't feel too bad. Harbinger #24 did the same thing...
It's a bit "different" when a company does an homage to themselves.
"Swipe" isn't really the correct term in those cases... since "swipe" implies "take from others".
It's hard to steal from yourself. :wink:

muzzsucker
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by muzzsucker »

Also bumped for coolness :thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

muzzsucker wrote:Also bumped for coolness :thumb: