Valiant VHS Tape?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Valiant VHS Tape?

Post by nycjadie »

Anyone here get this? Anyone know what’s on it? I haven’t owned a VCR since the early 90s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364058090346?m ... media=COPY

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Valiant VHS Tape?

Post by magnusr »

Never heard of before. That's two rare items in two days. These boards never cease to amaze.

/Magnus

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

[Slowly Raises Hand] Yep - I got it, nycjadie and magnus, along with another one I'd never heard of before (both VHS tapes were sold with Best Offers below asking price): Deathmate Promotional Internal VHS Voyager Image Acclaim Comic Books

I don't have a VCR either, but my plan is to get these eventually converted to DVD.

Would be happy to share the videos in a fashion that both satisfies curious fans and operates within any legal constraints. Advice and recommendations welcomed. :)

On a similar note, I have a Valiant Continuity Bible I'd love to digitize and share with so many interested fans, but you know. Law and stuff. :) :(
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

That is super cool. Thanks for sharing and let us know what’s on it!

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

unityshadowman wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:24:31 am On a similar note, I have a Valiant Continuity Bible I'd love to digitize and share with so many interested fans, but you know. Law and stuff. :) :(
Dude :o ! How do we make this happen?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

unityshadowman wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:24:31 am [Slowly Raises Hand] Yep - I got it, nycjadie and magnus, along with another one I'd never heard of before (both VHS tapes were sold with Best Offers below asking price): Deathmate Promotional Internal VHS Voyager Image Acclaim Comic Books
:o
I don't have a VCR either, but my plan is to get these eventually converted to DVD.

Would be happy to share the videos in a fashion that both satisfies curious fans and operates within any legal constraints. Advice and recommendations welcomed. :)
Sure hope it works out legally. Would love to see them.
On a similar note, I have a Valiant Continuity Bible I'd love to digitize and share with so many interested fans, but you know. Law and stuff. :) :(
Actually I got permission to put that up in 2004. But as Valiant has changed management since then I am not sure what can be shared now.

/Magnus

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:10:30 am Actually I got permission to put that up in 2004. But as Valiant has changed management since then I am not sure what can be shared now.

/Magnus
I feel like there's only about 5 to 10 people in the world who really care about VH1 continuity at this point, and I don't think any of them work at VEI. :twocents:

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Without addressing whether VEI actually acquired the rights to the Continuity Bible (which is just like a glorified internal memo, right?), it seems like you'd be covered under the fair use doctrine if you just post a page every now and then and include some scholarly notations or comments.

But I'm not an IP lawyer, so don't rely on me.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I am an IP lawyer, and in legal parlance we would say this is a low practical risk given the owners are unlikely to sue or even file a takedown. The damages would be nominal at best, and would not be worth the cost of a demand letter. Further, gentle pushback on the defensibility of the post, or hints of negative PR might dissuade even a takedown. The IP ownership is also questionable, given the provenance, and ultimately its best for the community to have this posted.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I also understand some reluctance from people who had to spend the money to get these on ebay, scanning and uploading a pdf copy might feel like it would bring the value/scarcity down.

One other possibility would be to make a new print zine version for free (shipping only) and only for the people who want one on this site. We could make it clear that it's a second printing copy and not an original. I would be happy to work on the clean up, formatting, printing, construction and shipping of the zines. If anyone who has a copy is interested feel free to PM me.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

In legal parlance, printing these without significant new unique commentary would increase that oarctical risk.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

nycjadie wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:32:54 pm In legal parlance, printing these without significant new unique commentary would increase that oarctical risk.
:hm: I'm imagining a free fanzine for like 20 people. It would be similar to friends playing an rpg together and one of them making photocopies of the book so everyone has the rules. On top of it the VCB isn't even a commercial product nor is it relevant to VEI, more like a historical curiosity.

Well I don't have one anyway. Don't sue me VEI :lol:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

I previously, with the permission of the Valiant IP owners of that time, put up a web site for cleaning up the half good OCR I had made of the VCB. Unfortunately the web provider removed ASP from their services long ago. I have now moved the site to a 60 days trial at myASP.net. Anyone who wants to help cleaning up the old scans are welcome to help. Anyone feeling that this is illegal is also welcome to speak up. Personally I feel that this is a continuation of the efforts put in by Seaborn Adamson and Clifford VanMeter. The header was written in 2004 and is a bit out of date. I will fix that.

Currently the URL is http://magnusr-001-site1.itempurl.com/comics/index.asp. I will try to find a better domain.

I notice that the valiantcomics.com URLs are no longer valid. I will see if that can be fixed.

For those who wants to help the steps are as follows:

Open two browsers.
First browser:
Select work area: Comics
In the drop-down, select a title.
Select: Issues
In the new drop-down (to the right), select an issue.
Select: Annotate
If no information shows up, this issue needs to be annotated.

Second browser:
Select work area: VCB
In the drop-down, select the page that corresponds to the issue selected in the other browser.
Select: Show

This will download an RTF file, which probably is best shown in Word.
Copy and paste information from the RTF file to the corresponding text fields in the first browser.
Fix the OCR mistakes.
Select: Store

Thanks for your help.

/Magnus

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:31:01 pm I previously, with the permission of the Valiant IP owners of that time, put up a web site for cleaning up the half good OCR I had made of the VCB. Unfortunately the web provider removed ASP from their services long ago. I have now moved the site to a 60 days trial at myASP.net. Anyone who wants to help cleaning up the old scans are welcome to help. Anyone feeling that this is illegal is also welcome to speak up. Personally I feel that this is a continuation of the efforts put in by Seaborn Adamson and Clifford VanMeter. The header was written in 2004 and is a bit out of date. I will fix that.

Currently the URL is http://magnusr-001-site1.itempurl.com/comics/index.asp. I will try to find a better domain.

I notice that the valiantcomics.com URLs are no longer valid. I will see if that can be fixed.

For those who wants to help the steps are as follows:

Open two browsers.
First browser:
Select work area: Comics
In the drop-down, select a title.
Select: Issues
In the new drop-down (to the right), select an issue.
Select: Annotate
If no information shows up, this issue needs to be annotated.

Second browser:
Select work area: VCB
In the drop-down, select the page that corresponds to the issue selected in the other browser.
Select: Show

This will download an RTF file, which probably is best shown in Word.
Copy and paste information from the RTF file to the corresponding text fields in the first browser.
Fix the OCR mistakes.
Select: Store

Thanks for your help.

/Magnus
:thumb: Took me a bit to figure out the site but I'd be happy to help out.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:59:51 pm :thumb: Took me a bit to figure out the site but I'd be happy to help out.
:clap:

/Magnus