Print Runs of 90s Zelda and Captain N The Game Master comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
Print Runs of 90s Zelda and Captain N The Game Master comics

Post by Juki »

Does anyone know the general print runs of these two sets of comics, Zelda and Captain N, from the 90s? Zelda seems to have 3 versions ($1.95 1st printing, $1.50 second printing, and “no price variant). Which version of the Zelda comics ($1.95, $1.50, no price) is the rarest and/or most desirable, and why?

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Re: Print Runs of 90s Zelda and Captain N The Game Master comics

Post by ckb »

The general consensus, supported by statements from people at valiant at the time, are that the runs on these books are huge. Along with that though is the fact that they were largely sold outside of the direct comic market. Walmart and the like.

The cardstock cover versions of Zelda were the first. The no price version exists because it was the top book on a three pack and the price did not apply. They simply reprinted the cover with a mask over the price.

The $1.50 versions do not have cardstock covers and are considered second printings. I think that they just wanted a cheaper version of essentially the same book and when they went back to print them again it was an easy call.

Common Sense says the number of no price Zelda number one books has to be less than the ones with the cover price. But common sense may not apply if they printed a million three packs. Given how often they appear on the market though it does seem that they had a much smaller run.

The story with Captain N is pretty much the same. The first book was part of the same three pack and sometimes it was on top.

Since these were not collected in the same way as normal comics there are far fewer on the market than you would expect. And that is doubly so for higher grade. Demand for these was clearly outstripping supply during the pandemic but has eased quite a bit in the last 6 months. Collectors for these books seem to be coming from outside of your normal comic collecting circles and I'm not sure the different versions have the expected relevance to that crowd.

All IMHO.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Thanks CKB. I am assuming the “no price version” was for issue #1 only of Zelda and Captain N. Would that be correct?

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

Here are the (3) I've run across, Juki:

Captain N the Game Master (1990) – 1(with price), 1(no price variant)
The Legend of Zelda (1990 - $1.95) – 1(with Price), 1(No Price variant)
Nintendo Comics System 1(with Price) (2/91), 1(No Price variant)
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431