*Counterfeit Valiant Update- Midnight, On Earth w/ Jim Shooter Ep 89 - NEW EPISODE

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: *Counterfeit Valiant Update- Midnight, On Earth w/ Jim Shooter Ep 89 - NEW EPISODE

Post by lorddunlow »

So... Definitely Canadians.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
Re: *Counterfeit Valiant Update- Midnight, On Earth w/ Jim Shooter Ep 89 - NEW EPISODE

Post by Blood of Heroes »

lorddunlow wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:12:26 am So... Definitely Canadians.
I mean, can anyone prove it wasn’t Canadians? Didn’t think so.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:47:28 am
lorddunlow wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:12:26 am So... Definitely Canadians.
I mean, can anyone prove it wasn’t Canadians? Didn’t think so.
A guy on twitter recently told me that you can’t prove that it is immoral to murder apostates. He blocked me shortly thereafter because I said that Sharia law was a relic of colonialism and didn’t work. True story.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

so shooter chimes in and all we get are peanut gallery comments? isnt this a valiant comics board?😀

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Re-read through this thread and think this is the result of someone misusing the word "counterfeit" when they meant something different.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:41:03 am so shooter chimes in and all we get are peanut gallery comments? isnt this a valiant comics board?😀
Is there any new news? Did Shooter talk about these counterfeit books with Mike Baron?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

From the man himself, Jim Shooter:
Jim Shooter, the man himself wrote: Valiantdude is lame. He definitely likes Canadians more than real Americans. He probably eats babies. He has an inordinate amount of interest in greg's holes. Ask Fred. Or Jim... Wait. I'm Jim. Nevermind.

See guys, case closed. The man has spoken.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Blood of Heroes

valiantdude wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:41:03 am isnt this a valiant comics board?😀

I thought we were an autonomous collective

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

just sayin, a long time ago jim shooter adding to this story wouldve meant something.. ah well.. the whole thing if fading.. why the hell have i been posting here for 20 years? idk

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:27:17 pm
grendeljd wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:22:49 am Never forget, dunlow - we’re *always* up here, silently taking over the world in secret…
The fact that you guys got the whole world to buy rapeseed oil by calling it "Canola" is all anyone needs to know about your craftiness. :P
Uh-oh. You know too much

I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Love “They Live.”
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:46:05 pm just sayin, a long time ago jim shooter adding to this story wouldve meant something.. ah well.. the whole thing if fading.. why the hell have i been posting here for 20 years? idk
What was it that he added? To ask Fred?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

i love they live-- who knew back then it was a true story..
well chiclo, he shot down all of gregs theories, pointed out the other possibilities, and still left the whole thing open

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

valiantdude wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:34:57 pm well chiclo, he shot down all of gregs theories, pointed out the other possibilities, and still left the whole thing open
"...he shot down all of Greg's theories"
(translation)
"... he said the books were probably overprints indistinguishable from every other copy, not normal prints indistinguishable from every other copy."

There are no counterfeits.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

perhaps, it depends on how you define counterfiets..
however, there were never missing books from orders, which was your main argument.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:01:34 pm perhaps, it depends on how you define counterfiets..
however, there were never missing books from orders, which was your main argument.
I would define a counterfeit book as one that was printed separately from the original print run; either published at a different time, by a different publisher, or both. The theory that the original publisher either printed too many books, failed to fulfill orders, or failed to destroy books that were supposed to be destroyed - all these meet that criteria and the counterfeit books theory holds water.

It is too bad that in most of those cases, the counterfeits would be all but impossible to tell apart from books legitimately purchased from the printer. Unless the miscut Rais are it… :hm:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51:15 am
valiantdude wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:34:57 pm well chiclo, he shot down all of gregs theories, pointed out the other possibilities, and still left the whole thing open
(translation)
"... he said the books were probably overprints indistinguishable from every other copy, not normal prints indistinguishable from every other copy."

The overprints are the counterfeits! All your holes just got blown wide open, greg.

greg

Post by greg »

valiantdude wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:01:34 pm perhaps, it depends on how you define counterfiets..
My main argument is that comic book collecting DOES have counterfeits, but Valiant does not.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 has counterfeits
Cerebus #1 has counterfeits
Cry For Dawn #1 has counterfeits

Not a single Valiant book has ever been identified as a counterfeit.

greg

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:44:49 pm
(translation)

The overprints are the counterfeits! All your holes just got blown wide open, greg.
I know a woman who was so excited the day before her baby was born.
Unfortunately, it was identical twins. Surprise! Yep, she had a counterfeit baby.
She never told the second baby that he wasn't real, and she never actually knew which child was in the sonogram.
Maybe both twins will find out one of them must be counterfeit from a message board when they're 30.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:19:26 pm
(translation)

Unfortunately, it was identical twins. Surprise! Yep, she had a counterfeit baby.
She never told the second baby that he wasn't real, and she never actually knew which child was in the sonogram.
Maybe both twins will find out one of them must be counterfeit from a message board when they're 30.
Yes, that is exactly how counterfeits work!

greg

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:59:49 pm
(translation)

Only one child was authorized, the second, identical, child came out of the same factory without proper prior approval. Sounds like our Valiant situation and we have been assured multiple times they are "counterfeit".

Blood of Heroes

greg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:46:30 pm
Chiclo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:59:49 pm
(translation)

Only one child was authorized, the second, identical, child came out of the same factory without proper prior approval. Sounds like our Valiant situation and we have been assured multiple times they are "counterfeit".

Um, can Fred Pierce tell the babies apart?
Does, uh, Fred owe someone child support...?

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

I guess I just don't understand the point of any of this thread...

To start, variation in color (especially shades of blue and purple) was extremely common from the 60's to the 90's. Not as much anymore. So aside from Shooter, the sole supporting "evidence" is color variation. Now I'm not calling Shooter a liar, but without something to corroborate his claims beyond color variation, I'm not buying counterfeits.

Let's hypothetically say there are actual counterfeits. How do we definitively identify them? How much shade variation has to exist to be considered counterfeit? Which color is the actual counterfeit color? Like I mentioned with Werewolf by Night 32, colors on that book range from Deep Purple to Dark Blue and everything in between. What color is it supposed to be and how much shift the other direction is now counterfeit on a Valiant book?

Now, this is NOT me saying this is what's happening or intentionally, but here is my experience with collectors from comics, to cards, to video games, to action figures, to everything. Collectors like to have unique and valuable pieces. So what happens when two people have the same item? Well then collectors look for other ways to distinguish their item from the next persons....I have a 9.8 to your 9.6, or my 9.8 has a different shade of color and is cooler looking, or my item has an error and is more rare, or to the now more absurd with some Marvel books - the 2nd printing had far less copies than the 1st print so it is way rarer and therefore more valuable (check Marvel Now Point One 1st vs 2nd print prices).

So I guess my point is....who cares? From a scientific approach, we have Jim's word and nothing else...That's not enough. We have variations in blue-purple on the cover, which was fairly common in pre-2000's printing. We have no way to definitely say counterfeits occurred (or I suppose did not). So aside from trying to draw distinction between one copy of a book vs another, unless there's financial motivation here, I don't understand the point of this topic. It's never going to get resolved, no one with the belief in one camp is going to switch sides without something more definitive to come to light (damn unlikely 30 years past now). The cynic in me says this smacks of a way to justify asking more for a purple copy over a blue copy, or vice versa on a claim that one is legit or more rare than the other.

greg

Post by greg »

markie7235 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:17:03 am I guess I just don't understand the point of any of this thread...

I don't understand the point of this topic.
It is possible that the point is that the one who made the original claim about counterfeits desperately wants to be part of Valiant history like Woodward and Bernstein are synonymous with Nixon.

Unfortunately, Woodward and Bernstein had proof.

Just a small difference, really.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

It all depends on what your definition of the word "is" is.