*Counterfeit Valiant Update- Midnight, On Earth w/ Jim Shooter Ep 89 - NEW EPISODE

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
Re: *Counterfeit Valiant Update- Midnight, On Earth w/ Jim Shooter Ep 89 - NEW EPISODE

Post by valiantdude »

i think chiclo gets it, others not so much..
can you explain what the term bogus books means?

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
Re: *Counterfeit Valiant Update- Midnight, On Earth w/ Jim Shooter Ep 89 - NEW EPISODE

Post by mrwoogieman »

Well, I for one welcome our new counterfeit Valiant book overlords.
:hm:

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

valiantdude wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:33:10 am i think chiclo gets it, others not so much..
According to Theodore “Ted” Logan, bogus is the direct opposite of excellent.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:20:27 pm
valiantdude wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:33:10 am i think chiclo gets it, others not so much..
So bogus books would be… Dynamite? DMG?

It seems pretty obvious that Shooter is referring to counterfeit books when he says they thought there were bogus books, reproductions of Valiant comics printed apart from the regular print run. Does anyone have any other interpretation of the phrase?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

is jon hartz still alive?

Blood of Heroes

Ask Fred Pierce. I bet he'd know.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
Damn it. You beat me to this joke.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Blood of Heroes

lorddunlow wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:06:07 pm
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Damn it. You beat me to this joke.
:lol: Sorry Dunlow

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

well again the facts are showing there are counterfeits out there.. seriously does anyone know how to get ahold of jon hartz?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

valiantdude wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:47:26 pm well again the facts are showing there are counterfeits out there.. seriously does anyone know how to get ahold of jon hartz?
No, the facts are showing that no one involved with Valiant in the 1990s still believes there are any counterfeits, and no counterfeits have ever been found.

Jim Shooter said he heard about "bogus books" from "probably Jon Hartz". But Jon Hartz, if "probably" means "definitely", didn't investigate the situation, and Jim didn't investigate, it was Fred Pierce who investigated.

Why don't you reach out to Fred Pierce and see if he has anything to say to you? He's the only one that would know for sure. Jim Shooter said so.

Blood of Heroes

If only there were some manner of social media platform where one could reach out to @fredpierce1 and ask him a question…

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

good job wifebeater guy finding fred.. now find jon hartz! haha

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

valiantdude wrote:good job wifebeater guy finding fred.. now find jon hartz! haha
When did Hobo post in this thread?

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Blood of Heroes

lorddunlow wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:44:35 pm
valiantdude wrote:good job wifebeater guy finding fred.. now find jon hartz! haha

valiantdude wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:55:54 am now find jon hartz! haha

Find him yourself

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

lorddunlow wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:44:35 pm

<snort> :lol:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

JON HARTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE KNOWWWWSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE CALLED THEM COUNTERFEIT AND BOGUS BOOKS, NOT OVERPRINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNN HHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!1

greg

Post by greg »

Do you really think Jon Hartz actually had even one counterfeit book in his hand but didn't show Jim Shooter?

No.

Jon Hartz HEARD about books being sold that weren't coming from the distributors.

Jon told Jim.

Jim told Fred.

Fred investigated.

Just give it up. There are no counterfeit books.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

I’ll sell my blue copies for $100 each….Counterfeit variant I tell you. Did you hear VARIANT!!!’ Means more money for me! Hahahahaha
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

greg im sorry you are wrong on this one..
you will have a crow sandwich, as will many :)

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Did I miss something? Has Jon Hartz come forth to confirm the counterfeit books?

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

valiantdude wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:47:26 pm well again the facts are showing there are counterfeits out there.. seriously does anyone know how to get ahold of jon hartz?
Over two days later and this post still amuses and confuses me. Literally zero FACTS have been presented by anyone in this entire discussion that has now gone on for months. Shooter has a vague recollection of something he was told third hand. But somehow... "Facts." Truly amazing times we are living in.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

SwiftMann wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:16:40 pm
Over two days later and this post still amuses and confuses me. Literally zero FACTS have been presented by anyone in this entire discussion that has now gone on for months. Shooter has a vague recollection of something he was told third hand. But somehow... "Facts." Truly amazing times we are living in.
Nobody involved with the incident has offered any other version of the incident(s?) in question. On one hand, we have an absence of evidence that we didn’t even know to look for. On the other hand, we have a bunch of blue Solar 1s that we didn’t even know to look for. As someone told me lately, “controversy is the mother’s milk of archaeology.” Until anyone else that was closer to the incident weighs in, I will stand with Shooter.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

heres the situation, you have greg insinuating he contacted fred pierce, he brings up sparta printing in illinois. he claims stolen overprinting, or stolen from actual orders going out (highly unlikely)
the blue solars are barely an example and might not even be counterfeit, as jim said, but also disagreed with greg about weathering, perhaps a printing error, maybe not. jim says hes never seen them before ever on the podcast. jim has said that there were many different books counterfeited. He says defer to fred only because he thinks his memory is fuzzy, and fred is older than jim, and somehow jim memory bad, fred memory good. jim even distinctly remembered them being characterized as counterfeit, bogus books he said. perhaps he is being too generous with defering to fred. other people know besides jim and fred. im sorry, change my header, believe fred, but the crow will run deep when we find jon hartz, i mean bob layton should know.. there are massive holes in this story..

greg

Post by greg »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:25:37 am heres the situation, you have greg insinuating he contacted fred pierce, he brings up sparta printing in illinois. he claims stolen overprinting, or stolen from actual orders going out (highly unlikely)
the blue solars are barely an example and might not even be counterfeit, as jim said, but also disagreed with greg about weathering, perhaps a printing error, maybe not. jim says hes never seen them before ever on the podcast. jim has said that there were many different books counterfeited. He says defer to fred only because he thinks his memory is fuzzy, and fred is older than jim, and somehow jim memory bad, fred memory good. jim even distinctly remembered them being characterized as counterfeit, bogus books he said. perhaps he is being too generous with defering to fred. other people know besides jim and fred. im sorry, change my header, believe fred, but the crow will run deep when we find jon hartz, i mean bob layton should know.. there are massive holes in this story..
Massive holes in the story? What are they?
No one has found a counterfeit Valiant book... ever.
CGC has graded 35,000 Valiant books dated 1990 through 1992. No counterfeits... ever.

Why won't this story go away?

Here's a clue:
valiantdude wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:07:49 am when i read this i was like... this is so cool, ive never seen this before.. then it says that i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then.
still do!!
I don't speak pothead, but I think it's something like this:

Dude, man... whoa! Dude!
What if... *** heh *** <<snort>>... what if... the STORY about the counterfeit books is what's actually BOGUS!?

DUDE!

Wait. Wait. Wait.
If it's the story about counterfeit books that is bogus, that's like, man, like reverse bibliography or something, man.
It means there are no counterfeit books.

What? No. No no no.
That's not true because I have seen blue Solar #1 and Solar #1 was blue, but not THAT blue. Printing in color doesn't just have the colors change in the middle of the run like one of the inks is low or something. No. NO! Whoa. No yelling. Sorry. Oh, that was me. *** heh ***

He's what we need, dude. Chill! Chill, man. We just need, uh, we need, like, someone to stay on this until the TRUTH comes out.
No matter what, we need someone to keep pushing, man. Don't give up! There are MASSIVE holes in the story!
First... uh... Find out what they all had for breakfast that day, man.
Like, if it was Cheerios, that's one thing, but, man, if they had, like, Poptarts without frosting?!? Dude, there would HAVE TO be counterfeit books.

Never give up! It's too import.... ***zzzzzzzzzzz***

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

greg youre a pretty striaght guy, buy you also had no memory of sending me a PM about my original webtv email address i signed on with in 02. then i had to show you the PM. youre trying to connect 2 different thigs. people forget things, like jim and fred..dont hate on people that smoke weed jesus, im not the only one here. you sound like you od'd on the DARE program in elementary school bro...haha!
your theory that they stole ordered books that would then be missing from stores orders in 1991 thru 1992 is ridiculous..
theres the hole.. its huge, thats all you have, and you think its because fred told you so. chiclo gets it.
again youre characterization of people who smoke cannabis is so outdated, it looks like you still defer to the DARE program for your thinking. you probably do a lot of deferring and not a lot of thinking. at least thats what the evidence suggests.
i like my new header thanks, sorry you dont live somewhere where cannabis is legal
Last edited by valiantdude on Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:02:47 am, edited 1 time in total.