Invisible Book - Money gone, box never arrived.

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Not_Bloodshot
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: The Goat
Favorite writer: David Micheline
Favorite artist: Davis
Invisible Book - Money gone, box never arrived.

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

Hello All,

I am not sure if any of you have ever dealt with Dinesh directly, but if you have, I have a question. What would you recommend I do in this situation?

On Dec 31/Jan 1, Bad Idea sent out a promotional email where they would select people to sell the graded “Invisible” Books that they came up with. I live in an area that was severely impacted by Hurricane Ida this past year and I’ve been very occupied dealing with Contractors, Insurance Companies, and just figuring out how to work. (Our area didn’t have power, postal service, or safe running water for a month after the storm. 10 miles from where I live, people are still living under tarps because Insurance Companies and FEMA have not been very helpful…)

Anyways, I didn’t notice the promo email go out, but I responded to it around Jan 13/14 and stated the problems in my area and made an offer for one over $1,000 if they had any remaining. I received an email back from hello@badideacorp.com on Jan 15 with an email stating they felt bad for what the people in my area were going through and accepted my offer for a book. Along with that email was a PayPal invoice for the amount I offered and when I clicked on the link, it shows that I was sending the money to Dinesh. I thought, ok, I guess that could make sense. I paid the money and sent them a response so they would know it was sent. I didn’t hear anything back.

Since then I have sent 4 or 5 other emails checking to see if they had a timeline on when the book would ship out or if they had a tracking number in case it was lost or something. I have not heard any response and it’s been almost three months.

All I can say is, I have a pretty big collection. I owned all of the Bad Idea Books to that point, including all of the day 1 buttons/pins. Since this, I have received a few other marketing emails from other stuff Bad Idea has released, but I am not interested in even reading them.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting it to have arrived by now? I hate to even post something like this on a public forum, but there isn’t really a phone number to call or anything…

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: Invisible Book - Money gone, box never arrived.

Post by nonplayer »

Dinesh has always been admirable.
Must be nice to be able to dump 1000 bucks on gimic crap when your suffering from the aftermath of a tornado while worried about employment.
I Miss the good old days.

Not_Bloodshot

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

It is nice. I spent $20,000 of my own money in that first month brining back food, water, tarps, fuel and oil for generators, etc… to all of the people I knew in the area. I own my own business and I also reorganized sections of my office for people to live in since we have a whole building generator and fiber internet services so they could have some level of comfort while they were trying to rebuild. We only have one guy left at the office that is still living there. He just had the roof replaced at his house, but he is on a long waiting list of contractors to build the rest. I have rebuilt most of my house with the help of my family and he comes over from time to time to shower. I offered for him to stay in a room of the house, but he doesn’t want to be more of a burden.

My business has lost hundreds of thousands of dollars over these past 8 months. I have not laid off a single person, even when other businesses around me have. So yes. I did have extra to spend on something you would consider a gimmick, but that’s your opinion.

You may look at this book as a gimmick, but I see it as them finding creative ways to generate revenue to try and continue with their passions. What I don’t like is making an agreement with someone and them just taking my money and disappearing.

You have a high opinion of Dinesh. I’ve always heard good things, which is why I paid for that book and why I am posting here instead of on all of their social media pages. This site is a much lower key area to try and find a communication path to him to try and get what I paid for.

In the end, when I sent the original email, I thought there was no way they would respond. Once they did, I do admit I did feel a little guilty spending that kind of money on something so trivial, but after dealing with so much crap for so long, I wanted to get something for myself that I would like. Since I’ll never have the money to justify the purchase of a Hulk 181 or ASM 129, as those just keep skyrocketing in value, I buy other things that are less impactful financially to me, but still interesting. I enjoy the collection that I have and I’ve worked very hard over the years to be in the position I am.

Let’s just leave this as you don’t know me and I don’t know you. I’m going to consider that you may not be a terrible person, but you have no perspective on what people actually go through or do in situations like what we have been going through in this area. None of us have received any government or outside assistance. We’ve been on our own to rebuild and that’s hard, but it’s what we will do. We’ve paid our taxes all of our lives and still continue to do so, but when we need assistance, no one is there for us. The government and people have the same attitude that you come across as having and it’s frankly disgusting.

So, if anyone has anything constructive to add, I am just looking for advice, not judgement from people that lack facts.

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

You don't have to justify how or why you spend your money. I'm guessing there is a quite a few of us on this board that have spent that much on a comic, including me. You work hard for your money and you spend it anyway you want, without judgement. i wish i could have spent $1000 on that comic, but there's other comics i'd rather get before that one, and i plan on getting. ASM 300, Batman Adventures 12 & NYX 3 are on my list. Don't waste anymore of your time thinking about it.

I know that Dinesh posts on this board from time to time and i reckon there are people on here that correspond with him quite often. I think this is the right place to get in touch with him without bringing too much attention to your problem. I'm confident you'll get a message from him. He seems to be a very honourable guy and will do what he can to fix this.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Not_Bloodshot

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

First of all, I just heard back from someone at Bad Idea. They are shipping the book out by early next week at the latest!

If anyone on this board was able to help, but is staying silent on it, know that I appreciate anything any of you did. I was partially worried that it was lost in the mail or someone forgot because a lot of the comic cons have been happening and they may have lost track. It may sound stupid because in the grand scheme of things, it's just a thing, but I've been getting more angry than usual by seeing myself and people I'm close to being screwed over by companies we were supposed to trust. I was worried, but hopeful for a long time that this was lost in the mail or they just got busy at Comic Cons since those have returned since the pandemic, but 3 months of no responses just felt too familiar and bitter in this area.

If I did come across as a bit of a jerk, I apologize if anyone felt that way.

The Chosen 1 - I hope you can get some good copies for good prices. I started rebuying my collection about 6 years ago and my original cap was $200 max for a book. I built my Valiant Collection first, then I switched to Marvel. As time went on, I kept creeping up my max per book cost. The first one that I spent about $900 on was ASM 300 CGC 9.6 Signed by McFarlane. Then I picked up Iron Man 128 CGC 9.8 Signed for I think $850. I also picked up two Bloodshot 0 platinums. One with the Printing issue and I was able to get that one graded by CGC with the Valiant Label before they discontinued those so it wasn't hit with the Green Label of Death! I can't remember what I paid exactly for those, but I am pretty sure that's when I crossed the $1,000 line. The last book I purchased for over $1,000 was the signed one off Bloodshot Salvation #12 Vin Diesel Variant. After that one, which was a lot over a thousand, my daughter came along and I've toned it down a lot.

I thought Action Comics #1000 and Detective #1000's million variant covers were ridiculous money grabs and when Bad Idea released this, it was basically the opposite of that. It seemed like a big f you to the exploiters of the industry. That's how I took it and I loved it. That's why I look at it as a cool piece of art, even though most people see it as a gimmick, and I get where it can easily be seen as that.

Batman Adventures 12 and NYK 3 are good ones. I don't have them. I bought a few key female character books for my daughter in case she is interested when she grows up. She is two now, so we've got a ways to go.

As I mentioned before, this was my one splurge buy since the pandemic and the storm. I have a full collection of bad idea books and pins, but I picked those up retail. (I didn't get the first secret book because by the time I found out about it, it was eBay only and $5,000 a book...)

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Not_Bloodshot wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:35:15 pm If I did come across as a bit of a jerk, I apologize if anyone felt that way.
Not hardly. You posted here looking for help. It's best to just ignore people with nothing useful to add. Lousy spelling is usually a dead giveaway.

Glad it got resolved. Post a picture when you get it! :thumb:

Not_Bloodshot

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

Thanks man. Will do!

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

We’re you told which grade you will get?
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Not_Bloodshot

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

I wasn’t told the Grade, but from what I understand, they had one made of each Grade that CGC issues and 10 or so that were all 9.8.

I feel like the giveaway books were always intended to be the 9.8’s.

Anyways, here are the pics in case anyone is curious. The date is interesting to me. It says 12/20, but I thought these were issued 12/21.

Either way, thanks again to anyone to helped close this out or if any of the Bad Idea people, or Dinesh himself, saw this and took care of it. I’m sure their email box gets jammed up with stuff so they probably just missed my correspondence for a while.

Oh, and if anyone sees my CGC Serial Number for sale on eBay or anywhere else, it’s a fake, I’m not selling mine!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Not_Bloodshot

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

Actually, one of my friends just told me they have three of these on eBay right now. One is a 3.0, the other is a 7.5, and the third is an 8.0.

So I guess my assumption was incorrect. They aren’t keeping the 9.8’s. It’s cool that they gave me a higher graded one!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I do enjoy a story with a happy ending. :thumb: