Cloonan & Sharp on XO!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Cloonan & Sharp on XO!!

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Gregg-K wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:58:08 pm
nonplayer wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:28:20 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:20:34 am
nonplayer wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:53:48 pm Been out of the loop for a bit.
Can you confirm if I got it right?
Didn't xo advertise for end of August then November then cancelled but re solicited for March?
Am I all cought up?
Sounds about right
Sounds like they didn't get enough pre orders to justify a release so have put it off again and again.
I'm not at Valiant anymore, but I don't need to be to say that's very likely incorrect. One glance at the publishing plan shows they're currently operating with one single issue release a month, so X-O was pushed back to wrap up Book of Shadows before launching X-O. They may even view March as a stronger month for the launch, but that's just speculation on my part. And if I recall correctly, it was slated for November, then pushed with this new approach to publishing. So, it was moved once. Maybe my memory is off there, but I think that's how it played out. Either way, it would not be moved because preorders came in lower than anticipated. Just wanted to help clear that up.
Yup, they titled this news and new approach "the Epic Future of Valiant Entertainment Publishing".

1 book per month.

Pfff.

Truly EPIC indeed!

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

The more I see teasers of Liam Sharp’s art then the more I definitely want this book to come out. This could be the best art ever on an XO book..,is that a bold statement?

Not hearing great things about the writers ‘Cloonrad’ but they can’t be any worse than Dennis Hallum.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Didn't xo advertise for end of August then November then cancelled but re solicited for March?
Am I all cought up?
Sounds about right
Sounds like they didn't get enough pre orders to justify a release so have put it off again and again.
I'm not at Valiant anymore, but I don't need to be to say that's very likely incorrect. One glance at the publishing plan shows they're currently operating with one single issue release a month, so X-O was pushed back to wrap up Book of Shadows before launching X-O. They may even view March as a stronger month for the launch, but that's just speculation on my part. And if I recall correctly, it was slated for November, then pushed with this new approach to publishing. So, it was moved once. Maybe my memory is off there, but I think that's how it played out. Either way, it would not be moved because preorders came in lower than anticipated. Just wanted to help clear that up.
I could be mis-remembering, but I think this is the first time hearing that you’re no longer with Valiant… sorry to hear it, I always thought you were a good positive voice for what has become a rather rough period for the company. It couldn’t have been too easy dealing with so many of the negative fans that like to complain a lot in recent years (and I am sad to include myself in that group at times, although I’ve always tried to voice constructive criticisms when I do speak out rather than some of the insta-triggered nonsense that some people can be counted on to weigh in with all the time).

Hope you’ve moved on to better and brighter things.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:53:18 pm
Am I all cought up?
Sounds about right
I could be mis-remembering, but I think this is the first time hearing that you’re no longer with Valiant… sorry to hear it, I always thought you were a good positive voice for what has become a rather rough period for the company. It couldn’t have been too easy dealing with so many of the negative fans that like to complain a lot in recent years (and I am sad to include myself in that group at times, although I’ve always tried to voice constructive criticisms when I do speak out rather than some of the insta-triggered nonsense that some people can be counted on to weigh in with all the time).

That happened a few months ago, he got a job with CBR (I think).

Without putting words into his mouth and totally reading between the lines, I got the impression that Gregg knows what good comics looks like and the real challenge was having to market D to F level books. I’m sure he liked everyone involved in the creative process but no one who has read Valiant books for any length of time could see how poor the books were.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:00:31 pm
grendeljd wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:53:18 pm
Am I all cought up?
Sounds about right

That happened a few months ago, he got a job with CBR (I think).

Without putting words into his mouth and totally reading between the lines, I got the impression that Gregg knows what good comics looks like and the real challenge was having to market D to F level books. I’m sure he liked everyone involved in the creative process but no one who has read Valiant books for any length of time could see how poor the books were.
:thumb: I have a feeling I am just forgetting that I knew he had left - I may not post as much these days, but I do keep a finger on the pulse and pay attention to most Valiant news when there is some :)
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gregg-K
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Gregg-K »

Thanks for the kind words. Still have everything Valiant on my pull list and I'm sincerely rooting for them.

I left about 8 months ago for an opportunity with CBR - something I really couldn't say "no" to, gives me the chance to celebrate all of the things I love in the industry.