Valiant's problem with royalties

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Valiant's problem with royalties

Post by kjjohanson »

Not sure if it was discussed here, but some time back there was some comics news chatter about Dysart not getting expected royalties from Valiant in the new era, after the licensing of Harbinger. I just saw this on Twitter, so I guess it's not an isolated incident?
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.52.16 PM.png
:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
Re: Valiant's problem with royalties

Post by Jrosen »

I get Dysart's anger at Valiant, as he redefined the whole Harbinger universe and built the first real VEI crossover. But I have no idea what Tom Fowler did that would warrant getting royalties. I would argue that Priest and Bright have a much bigger claim on anything from Quantum and Woody, and Fowler doesn't seem to be involved in much else.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Jrosen wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41:48 pm I get Dysart's anger at Valiant, as he redefined the whole Harbinger universe and built the first real VEI crossover. But I have no idea what Tom Fowler did that would warrant getting royalties. I would argue that Priest and Bright have a much bigger claim on anything from Quantum and Woody, and Fowler doesn't seem to be involved in much else.
I don't disagree regarding the bigger claim (morally) on Q&W, but the reality is the company for which they created their books is defunct. Based on the tweet, Fowler seems to have had some agreement regarding royalties for the books he worked on, and he believes he's entitled to royalties that haven't been paid.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

From what i understand, Dysart was saying that he had a verbal agreement that basically amounted to "if we do well, you'll do well." Assuming that same structure, I don't see anything glaring on why he should receive royalties or that those royalties would be material. Artistically, he didn't add much value as the characters look very similar, minus the mullets, to Priest and Bright's work, and he not credited with any of the writing or plotting of the stories. Further, unless we are missing something, the TV project seems dead, and its not like his depictions of Q and W are driving millions of dollars in merchandise and/or comic book sales. Of course if his contract specifically states that he will receive some multiple of sales, then Valiant must honor the contract that was signed.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Between Valiant not exactly setting the world on fire at any point in the last 10 years and the DMG takeover, which likely voided previous agreements, it's not terribly hard to believe payments aren't flowing.

But without anyone seeing any actual, executed contracts, it's all baseless accusations and wild speculation.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

This is to me clearly a DMG choice. Half these people are currently working at Bad Idea. I don't think that would be happening if this was something from the OG VEI.