Cannot send PMs

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Cannot send PMs

Post by magnus20009 »

I could send PM's yesterday but when I went to send one today I get the same message on my mobile device and my desktop. Does anyone else have the same problem?

This is the error message

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@valiantfans.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Cannot send PMs

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

No problem here.

"Internal Server Error" -- probably just a temporary problem on the server side that has already been fixed.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:52:11 am No problem here.

"Internal Server Error" -- probably just a temporary problem on the server side that has already been fixed.
Still not working. However it seems like it only affects some users I am trying to send messages to. For example I can send to you but either replying to Ricomortis or trying to send a new message still prompts the same error message.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I don't really know what causes this, but an educated guess would be...

There is a never-ending log of email failures that the server keeps for notifications that are attempts to let users know about replies, private messages, or anything that's "followed" (with email notification).

As a result, the server may be blocking those with undeliverable emails, particularly if the server has determined that emails have not been delivered for a long time.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

greg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:03:39 pm I don't really know what causes this, but an educated guess would be...

There is a never-ending log of email failures that the server keeps for notifications that are attempts to let users know about replies, private messages, or anything that's "followed" (with email notification).

As a result, the server may be blocking those with undeliverable emails, particularly if the server has determined that emails have not been delivered for a long time.
Thanks Greg. Rico and I can send messages back and forth again so whatever was causing the server issues has resolved itself

Sunlight on Snow

greg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:03:39 pm I don't really know what causes this, but an educated guess would be...

"Never-ending log" sounds funny keeping in mind this is a rather less frequented forum.

There isn't much traffic and the amount of private messaging is just a fraction of that.

Did you actually do anything? Do you need help (figuring this out)?

greg

Post by greg »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:18:05 am

"Never-ending log" sounds funny keeping in mind this is a rather less frequented forum.

There isn't much traffic and the amount of private messaging is just a fraction of that.

Nah, it solved itself.

The never-ending log is real, though. Every day, the server keeps a record of all the emails that it couldn't send. Since this board is 17+ years old, there are lots of topics that have been "followed" by members at some point throughout the topic history. Each reply is supposed to send an email to the members who are "following". Emails are sometimes sent whenever someone is quoted in a reply. As a result, just three replies on this board that is "rather less frequented" can generate dozens of unsuccessful emails. They go in the log. There are thousands of inactive email addresses for the thousands of (former) members since 2004. It's a hoot, man. :D

I just realized I might be able to eliminate hundreds of problems if I turn off notifications for the "chain music title game". :hm:

Sunlight on Snow

greg wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:43:48 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:18:05 am

Nah, it solved itself.

The never-ending log is real, though. Every day, the server keeps a record of all the emails that it couldn't send. Since this board is 17+ years old, there are lots of topics that have been "followed" by members at some point throughout the topic history. Each reply is supposed to send an email to the members who are "following". Emails are sometimes sent whenever someone is quoted in a reply. As a result, just three replies on this board that is "rather less frequented" can generate dozens of unsuccessful emails. They go in the log. There are thousands of inactive email addresses for the thousands of (former) members since 2004. It's a hoot, man. :D

I just realized I might be able to eliminate hundreds of problems if I turn off notifications for the "chain music title game". :hm:
Okay, I didn't really think of this. So there's more traffic from zombies than living creatures meaning there's a Deadside on your server side and you need some sort of Deadside Intelligence Mechanism. I would write a server side script checking for those notifications that bounce back because of non-existing emails and then de-activate those accounts. They're clearly dead-dead instead of limbo-dead....no need to keep them in server-Deadside. :lol:

(((Server side scripting is my thing though.)))

Parentheses are sponsored by #BadIdea.
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:14:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greg

Post by greg »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:06:23 pm Okay, I didn't really think of this. So there's more traffic from zombies than living creatures meaning there's a Deadside on your server side and you need some sort of Deadside Intelligence Mechanism. I would write a server side script checking for those notifications that bounce back because of non-existing emails and then de-activate those accounts. They're clearly dead-dead instead of limbo-dead....no need to keep them in server-Deadside. :lol:

Server side scripting is my thing though.
I don't want to anger the creatures in the upside down.

Sunlight on Snow

greg wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:07:38 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:06:23 pm Okay, I didn't really think of this. So there's more traffic from zombies than living creatures meaning there's a Deadside on your server side and you need some sort of Deadside Intelligence Mechanism. I would write a server side script checking for those notifications that bounce back because of non-existing emails and then de-activate those accounts. They're clearly dead-dead instead of limbo-dead....no need to keep them in server-Deadside. :lol:

Server side scripting is my thing though.
I don't want to anger the creatures in the upside down.
The Upsidedownside is "valiant-sized" though. Don't mess with it!

You don't wanna mess with Texas either. :P