[Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Post Reply

Favorite X-O Arc?

1. By The Sword
9
35%
2. Enter Ninjak
6
23%
3. Planet Death
4
15%
4. Homecoming
2
8%
5. At War With Unity
1
4%
6. Prelude to Armor Hunters (+#25)
1
4%
7. Armor Hunters (tie-in)
1
4%
8. Enter Armorines (+#0)
0
No votes
9. Dead Hand (+#33)
2
8%
10. Exodus (+#38 [the wedding issue])
0
No votes
11. The Kill List (+Commander Trill #0 & Anniversary Special)
0
No votes
12. Long Live The King
0
No votes
13. Succession and Other Tales (Annual 2016, Fall of X-O, and 4001: X-O)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
TheFerg714
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 950
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:25:48 pm
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
[Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by TheFerg714 »

To celebrate the return of Dino, Warren, Kindt, Venditti, Braithwaite, and everyone else, I thought some polls would be fun! You can choose 2 options.
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:37:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
syzhang28
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20:02 pm
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by syzhang28 »

one of the all time great comic runs if you ask me. loved it all but these are the stand outs:

Went with volume 1 because it turned a story i already loved from vh1 into one i loved even more but it was a hard choice.

enter ninjak was such a great follow up and doesn't get enough credit for changing ninjaks personality from vh1 where he was bland into the rogue *SQUEE* that you still love.

prelude to armor hunters and armor hunters are vei crossover perfection. they took the mantle set by unity and made it a yearly even. they did these types of stories better than anyone imho and i hope they do them at bad idea

long live the king is the one that i was most scared for because how do you end a run like this but they did such a good job by making it so emotional

User avatar
TheFerg714
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 950
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:25:48 pm
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by TheFerg714 »

syzhang28 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:02:04 pm
prelude to armor hunters and armor hunters are vei crossover perfection. they took the mantle set by unity and made it a yearly even. they did these types of stories better than anyone imho and i hope they do them at bad idea
No one does events like VEI. Literally nothing can compare.

User avatar
Sunlight on Snow
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11:03 pm
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00:41 am
No one does events like VEI. Literally nothing can compare.
There's still a huge gap between events like HW & Armor Hunters on one side and events like HW2 & 4001 A.D. on the other side. The first two were all about continuity, the other two either threw continuity overboard (at least the eponymous "Harbinger" side) or just wasn't relevant to the main timeline.

Then there was Book of Death that also brought us Legends of the Geomancer; the first glimpse of #BadIdea marketing that--IIRC--signaled the beginning of the end for some Valiant fans (around here).

User avatar
Sunlight on Snow
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11:03 pm
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

1 -- Enter: Ninjak!
2 -- Dead Hand
3 -- The Kill List

User avatar
mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Posts: 4495
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:16:51 pm
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Location: Kansas City, MO
Contact:
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by mkb28 »

Number 1 for me was “By the Sword.”
Number 2 was “Enter Ninjak.”

I was collecting Batman only in the 90’s and missed out on reading and collecting Valiant. When I saw the 2012 X-O Manowar on the shelf in my LCS, I was hooked and that started my quest to collect everything Valiant. :cloud9:

User avatar
TheFerg714
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 950
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:25:48 pm
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by TheFerg714 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59:08 am
TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00:41 am
No one does events like VEI. Literally nothing can compare.
There's still a huge gap between events like HW & Armor Hunters on one side and events like HW2 & 4001 A.D. on the other side. The first two were all about continuity, the other two either threw continuity overboard (at least the eponymous "Harbinger" side) or just wasn't relevant to the main timeline.

Then there was Book of Death that also brought us Legends of the Geomancer; the first glimpse of #BadIdea marketing that--IIRC--signaled the beginning of the end for some Valiant fans (around here).
I would actually say Book of Death and 4001 A.D. as some of the best events I've ever read. I appreciate that they tried to do things differently than the mega-events that you see far too often in other publishers. They were different than HW and AH, but still very effective as events imo.

HW2 is barely even an event. It's just a 6-issue story.

User avatar
Sunlight on Snow
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11:03 pm
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:41:04 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59:08 am
TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00:41 am
No one does events like VEI. Literally nothing can compare.
There's still a huge gap between events like HW & Armor Hunters on one side and events like HW2 & 4001 A.D. on the other side. The first two were all about continuity, the other two either threw continuity overboard (at least the eponymous "Harbinger" side) or just wasn't relevant to the main timeline.

Then there was Book of Death that also brought us Legends of the Geomancer; the first glimpse of #BadIdea marketing that--IIRC--signaled the beginning of the end for some Valiant fans (around here).
I would actually say Book of Death and 4001 A.D. as some of the best events I've ever read. I appreciate that they tried to do things differently than the mega-events that you see far too often in other publishers. They were different than HW and AH, but still very effective as events imo.

HW2 is barely even an event. It's just a 6-issue story.
HW & Armor Hunters are much better examples when it comes to "crossover perfection."

The main story line of BOD is only 4 issues, too, and mostly focusing on Gilad & Tama only.

It's not my fault VEI had advertised HW2 as the next big thing and then it ended up being quite underwhelming.

User avatar
TheFerg714
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 950
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:25:48 pm
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by TheFerg714 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:43:01 pm
HW & Armor Hunters are much better examples when it comes to "crossover perfection."

The main story line of BOD is only 4 issues, too, and mostly focusing on Gilad & Tama only.

It's not my fault VEI had advertised HW2 as the next big thing and then it ended up being quite underwhelming.
Well BoD and 4001 both included 12 issues total. I'd say that makes them events, and damn good ones at that. HW and AH are better "crossovers" I suppose, but I think all four were very effective "events." AH was solid all-around, but as for HW, I don't think Bloodshot Vol. 3 really came together all that well, so I don't know if I'd call that "perfection."

HW2 wasn't really VEI's fault either. The original plan would have felt much more like an actual event, even if it was just four oversized issues.

User avatar
syzhang28
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20:02 pm
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by syzhang28 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:41:04 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59:08 am
TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00:41 am
No one does events like VEI. Literally nothing can compare.
There's still a huge gap between events like HW & Armor Hunters on one side and events like HW2 & 4001 A.D. on the other side. The first two were all about continuity, the other two either threw continuity overboard (at least the eponymous "Harbinger" side) or just wasn't relevant to the main timeline.

Then there was Book of Death that also brought us Legends of the Geomancer; the first glimpse of #BadIdea marketing that--IIRC--signaled the beginning of the end for some Valiant fans (around here).
I would actually say Book of Death and 4001 A.D. as some of the best events I've ever read. I appreciate that they tried to do things differently than the mega-events that you see far too often in other publishers. They were different than HW and AH, but still very effective as events imo.

HW2 is barely even an event. It's just a 6-issue story.
Book of Death and 4001 are my two fave VEI events too. I love how emotional both were while still being so big in scope. Especially BOD. Such a small story told while such a big one (number of characters but also past and future) was happening. perfection.

User avatar
syzhang28
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20:02 pm
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by syzhang28 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:43:01 pm
TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:41:04 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59:08 am
TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00:41 am
No one does events like VEI. Literally nothing can compare.
There's still a huge gap between events like HW & Armor Hunters on one side and events like HW2 & 4001 A.D. on the other side. The first two were all about continuity, the other two either threw continuity overboard (at least the eponymous "Harbinger" side) or just wasn't relevant to the main timeline.

Then there was Book of Death that also brought us Legends of the Geomancer; the first glimpse of #BadIdea marketing that--IIRC--signaled the beginning of the end for some Valiant fans (around here).
I would actually say Book of Death and 4001 A.D. as some of the best events I've ever read. I appreciate that they tried to do things differently than the mega-events that you see far too often in other publishers. They were different than HW and AH, but still very effective as events imo.

HW2 is barely even an event. It's just a 6-issue story.
HW & Armor Hunters are much better examples when it comes to "crossover perfection."

The main story line of BOD is only 4 issues, too, and mostly focusing on Gilad & Tama only.

It's not my fault VEI had advertised HW2 as the next big thing and then it ended up being quite underwhelming.
You can't really argue that BOD is only Tama and Gilad focused because of all the flash forward to the future AND a crossover by definition is a story told in multiple books. Can't isolate any one part and call it the whole. even the main book. BOD with all the one shots and LOTG is incredible storytelling. i mean how hard is it to get each death to be so fitting.

User avatar
syzhang28
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20:02 pm
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by syzhang28 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:10:18 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:43:01 pm
HW & Armor Hunters are much better examples when it comes to "crossover perfection."

The main story line of BOD is only 4 issues, too, and mostly focusing on Gilad & Tama only.

It's not my fault VEI had advertised HW2 as the next big thing and then it ended up being quite underwhelming.
Well BoD and 4001 both included 12 issues total. I'd say that makes them events, and damn good ones at that. HW and AH are better "crossovers" I suppose, but I think all four were very effective "events." AH was solid all-around, but as for HW, I don't think Bloodshot Vol. 3 really came together all that well, so I don't know if I'd call that "perfection."

HW2 wasn't really VEI's fault either. The original plan would have felt much more like an actual event, even if it was just four oversized issues.
Yeah, HW2 is exactly what you get without Dinesh being there to steer the ship. I was so disappointed that they cut Hieserer down to one prelude issue and went back on their word to do double issue flip books.

User avatar
Sunlight on Snow
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11:03 pm
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

syzhang28 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:45:09 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:43:01 pm
TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:41:04 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59:08 am
TheFerg714 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00:41 am
No one does events like VEI. Literally nothing can compare.
There's still a huge gap between events like HW & Armor Hunters on one side and events like HW2 & 4001 A.D. on the other side. The first two were all about continuity, the other two either threw continuity overboard (at least the eponymous "Harbinger" side) or just wasn't relevant to the main timeline.

Then there was Book of Death that also brought us Legends of the Geomancer; the first glimpse of #BadIdea marketing that--IIRC--signaled the beginning of the end for some Valiant fans (around here).
I would actually say Book of Death and 4001 A.D. as some of the best events I've ever read. I appreciate that they tried to do things differently than the mega-events that you see far too often in other publishers. They were different than HW and AH, but still very effective as events imo.

HW2 is barely even an event. It's just a 6-issue story.
HW & Armor Hunters are much better examples when it comes to "crossover perfection."

The main story line of BOD is only 4 issues, too, and mostly focusing on Gilad & Tama only.

It's not my fault VEI had advertised HW2 as the next big thing and then it ended up being quite underwhelming.
You can't really argue that BOD is only Tama and Gilad focused because of all the flash forward to the future AND a crossover by definition is a story told in multiple books. Can't isolate any one part and call it the whole. even the main book. BOD with all the one shots and LOTG is incredible storytelling. i mean how hard is it to get each death to be so fitting.
Maybe we just have slightly different definitions of a perfect crossover and maybe my definition is wrong and/or not the intended one?

For me it's not just about multiple books featuring multiple characters.

It's more about combining multiple story lines from multiple ongoing series into one big story (and crossover event).

No matter how many issues BOD has in total, the core series only has 4 and the story is solely based on the arrival of Tama at the end of The Valiant. The one-shots are add-ons (instead of tie-ins) and Legends is just a bonus story. Don't get me wrong. It certainly is great story-telling and I would not want to miss any of the one-shots or Legends. JJ Ryp is one of my favorite artists and Legends is one of the reasons why.

User avatar
Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Posts: 2130
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19:05 am
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Location: United Kingdom
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

By the Sword and Enter Ninjak!

XO Manowar #1 by Vditty was the first coming book I’d picked up since the 90’s...and what a book!

otomo
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:04:27 pm
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by otomo »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:18:46 pm
To celebrate the return of Dino, Warren, Kindt, Venditti, Braithwaite, and everyone else, I thought some polls would be fun! You can choose 2 options.
Wait was there an announcement?
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

User avatar
TheFerg714
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 950
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:25:48 pm
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: [Poll] Favorite X-O Manowar (by Venditti) Volume/Arc?

Post by TheFerg714 »

otomo wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:20:54 pm
TheFerg714 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:18:46 pm
To celebrate the return of Dino, Warren, Kindt, Venditti, Braithwaite, and everyone else, I thought some polls would be fun! You can choose 2 options.
Wait was there an announcement?
Bad Idea


Post Reply