The Drop: Midnight, On Earth Podcast ft. Jim Shooter..4 hrs!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
The Drop: Midnight, On Earth Podcast ft. Jim Shooter..4 hrs!

Post by valiantdude »

okay...here it is the drop..

from Valiant's Dad --- JIM SHOOTER

But first very quick backstory - so i have a friend i am still friends with from middle school. We used to go to cons together a lot in Florida. There was a dude who was his friend that would join us sometimes, i didnt really know him at all, but remember him for sure.
flash forward to 2021, that dude has a very successful podcast and wanted to interview Jim Shooter, because he was an old school Valiant fan..
middle school friend asked me for help finding jim since i mentioned ive posted here for a long time, and i thought i could find someone here that could get a hold of Jim.
No luck here, after asking a couple folks... but in the meantime friend of friend with podcast gets a hold of Jim Shooter..
They have a 4 hour long (actually 5, apparently Jim kept going after the interview was over) conversation, friend of mine lets me hear the advance release hence my excitement.
the show releases every thursday, and thats why it was today...not my choice, just when the show airs. Scheduling.
Theres the backstory...

Now, it is officially released at www.midnightonearth.com , but it is also on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Audible, etc..
or www.midnightonearth.com/download

to say it is a must listen is beyond an understatement.

im not going to spoil it but here are just a very few highlights of a super dense interview

---counterfeit preunity comics--

---tons of unknown stories----

---credits are wrong on most preunity valiants--

and the absolutely devastating story of how Dinesh, Jason treated Jim... its comically bad (no pun intended) it's *SQUEE* ridiculous

After you listen to this you will have a different opinion of everything.

Ill come back later this evening after you all have listened to it then we can discuss.. it is 4 hours long after all

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Re: The Drop: Midnight, On Earth Podcast ft. Jim Shooter..4 hrs!

Post by JCP »

What is the approximate time stamp for the pre-unity counterfeit discussion?
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

HAHAHA! just listen to the whole thing... you will learn something.. promise

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jim-sho ... interview/

thank you CKB! you really helped out by suggesting Bleeding Cool..

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

JCP wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:49:25 am What is the approximate time stamp for the pre-unity counterfeit discussion?

About 2:35.

There really isn't a discussion, it is a colorful anecdote about Fred Pierce. There are no details there to actually go on, and the interviewer never got back to it.

The good part is that Fred will probably fill us in on what happened.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Don't worry.. They are going to do a follow up episode in about 6 - 7 months..

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

oh...oh..ohh... I keep forgetting, I have in my possession the unpublished script for Unity 2000 #5, plot was released, but no script. Until now

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

There's nothing really shocking here....except for the length. OMG!

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

really? interesting perspective, even the VEI stuff?.... its a good podcast overall, the other guests look interesting.. I subscribed

ckb

Post by ckb »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:43:11 pm There's nothing really shocking here....except for the length. OMG!
The "PHH" phone company promo seemed new. I may have an inkling of a lost promo but never anything that concrete.

Also, I think we always knew Shooter wrote pretty much everything, but I am not sure I had ever heard that every writing and editing credit should have been "Shooter" and instead the credits were handed out as perks.

A lot of it we have heard before, Shooter has always told a very one-sided story about things, and there are other perspectives out there. Even accounting for bias the man was a force and I believe he was singularly responsible for Voyager's success. The stuff with VEI is all very unfortunate and I hope the truth is somewhere in the middle of Dino's and Shooter's story on that.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

shocker. Jim Shooter has stories that he can't back up and is *SQUEE* on people? Didn't he learn his lesson a few years ago when he shat on someone that had died that day and the entire marvel bullpen came out to say his story was lies?

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

All that teasing for a podcast of Jim Shooter anecdotes?
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

I like the part where the VEI guys threw a sheet over Jim and put a bowl of fruit on his head when outsiders were visiting the offices!
:hm:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Dude your whole hype train and multi-thread kindergarten excitement rallying was basically to market some guy's podcast.
I'm not listening to some guys FIVE HOUR podcast to suss this crap out. And not only that, but from your oddly vague summary your entire "big reveal drop" was what? That Jim Shooter was treated badly by Dinesh?

I don't even know the story (because I'm not listening to a FOUR-FIVE HOUR podcast to hear it) but I can think of a million legit reasons for that even if it were true. Like maybe Dinesh put his family's wealth on the line to run a company and Jim Shooter (who I respect) maybe came in with too hard creative-control-tactics re: a company that was no longer his, and Dinesh had to put the breaks on it.

And I don't even know if that's true, but the point is... I mean.. lmfao dude all of your BS across the threads and you could've just as easily written "my buddy did a Podcast where apparently Jim Shooter has some story regarding bootlegged Valiant books and his hard interactions with VH2 ownership".

:roll:
valiantdude wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:07:34 pm oh...oh..ohh... I keep forgetting, I have in my possession the unpublished script for Unity 2000 #5, plot was released, but no script. Until now
And this? See you can't tell people that here and have anyone get excited. It's more non-starter nonsense. If that was an Iron Man script I'd convert it to PDF and publish it for the Iron Man guys to see.

I've got a box of writer's notes, scripts, and other stuff given to me by a myriad of Iron Man creators over the years. It's all fun stuff, but it's not worth a dime. It's just insightful stuff, dude.

I might be hammering on ya a little harshly I suppose, but seriously... what was all of this nonsense? F'n podcast.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

There is a lot more than that..dude its 4 hours of hardcore jim shooter with tons of revelations, did you read the bleeding cool story?
Sorry it didnt please you, other people don't feel the same as you
The podcasts speaks for itself, if you didnt 'get it' I'm sorry

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:43:10 pm There is a lot more than that..dude its 4 hours of hardcore jim shooter with tons of revelations, did you read the bleeding cool story?
Sorry it didnt please you, other people don't feel the same as you
The podcasts speaks for itself, if you didnt 'get it' I'm sorry
Sigh. Maybe I'll check out the podcast. I don't give Bleeding Cool the clicks if I have a choice.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Meh :|
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Remember that time valiantdude made a big deal about leaving the board and nobody cared?
And then a few months later he made a big deal about coming back because he realized that it’s hard to be an attention wh0re without an audience? And still no one gives a sh!t?

I remember

Jesus, dude. Just go away.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Jealous much? Don't be rude. And btw spousal abuse humour isn't funny, indicative of personality type
You see people posting positive things about my contribution, you just think differently, sorry you feel that way

Blood of Heroes

Jealous of what?? :lol:

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

usually when people are rude and trolly, they are jealous of something... you might think that your opinion is the most important (most wife beaters do), but it's just one opinion. no different than the other people that are thanking me. im glad you felt the need to express yourself in a negative way, but literally nothing i posted was negative ,just having fun.

Blood of Heroes

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

But she loves me.

Did I miss the wifebeater joke?

Blood of Heroes

Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:03:34 pm But she loves me.

Did I miss the wifebeater joke?
Spousal abuse humour isn't funny, Chiclo. And it’s indicative of personality type, I’m told.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

valiantdude wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:52:10 am usually when people are rude and trolly, they are jealous of something... you might think that your opinion is the most important (most wife beaters do), but it's just one opinion
Ummm? Wurt?!? -durp-