Bad Idea rubbing people wrong?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Bad Idea rubbing people wrong?

Post by TheFerg714 »

grendeljd wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:31:51 pm Personally I’m not a fan of the marketing plans from the guys so far.

I’m very interested in some of the titles due to their premises & creative teams, and my own goodwill toward Dino & Co. - but it was a close call to manage to land a 1st print copy of Eniac #1 from my local store (and it was almost a miracle that my local shop got to carry the books at all). I wanted to get a first print in particular to help support these guys as a fan right from the start. It shouldn’t have been that difficult to do so.

It seems to me like they’ve engineered a false sense of scarcity to generate some media buzz over them. You can consider that smart marketing and you’d probably be right, but it doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t plan on being a social media soldier/supporter for them at this point because of all that, but I will gladly support any & all of their comics that are quality titles that appeal to me regardless of who is publishing them.
The thing is... there's plenty of issues to go around. You don't need the first printing.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:10:15 pm
grendeljd wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:31:51 pm Personally I’m not a fan of the marketing plans from the guys so far.

I’m very interested in some of the titles due to their premises & creative teams, and my own goodwill toward Dino & Co. - but it was a close call to manage to land a 1st print copy of Eniac #1 from my local store (and it was almost a miracle that my local shop got to carry the books at all). I wanted to get a first print in particular to help support these guys as a fan right from the start. It shouldn’t have been that difficult to do so.

It seems to me like they’ve engineered a false sense of scarcity to generate some media buzz over them. You can consider that smart marketing and you’d probably be right, but it doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t plan on being a social media soldier/supporter for them at this point because of all that, but I will gladly support any & all of their comics that are quality titles that appeal to me regardless of who is publishing them.
The thing is... there's plenty of issues to go around. You don't need the first printing.
You want to start picking on me for wanting to get a 1st print copy of a Bad Idea comic? Of the *first* Bad Idea comic? Let’s not start down that judgemental path please. I don’t *need* to buy *any* comics... nobody does, they’re luxury items we all can do without if we lived in a state of poverty. But we do not. People are allowed to want what they want, and acquire what they can afford to acquire.

And do not mistake my interest in a 1st print of a comic I want to support for any sort of toxic fan-boy entitlement. If I didn’t feel like putting any effort into getting a 1st print of Eniac, I would have settled for a second print. But I did want one. I kept in contact with my shop to make sure I was getting a 1st print despite all the hoops the store & I were made to jump through to get it. I went into my shop on new release day specifically because I was looking forward to getting Eniac #1 on that day. I did not get up early and try to line up for a chance at a shiny marketing button to proclaim my fandom for others to see. I also don’t judge others who did participate in that and enjoyed themselves for that participation. It’s not for me this time around. I enjoyed doing that for the early VEI days, but not now - even though I like these guys as a publishing team. I’m burnt out on that stuff.

I just want to be a fan that supports good comics - but I’m not sure why I deserve a bit of flack for wanting to get a 1st print copy of a good comic. I’m simply expressing a bit of distaste for the marketing method these guys have chosen to engage in. I understand it, and why they are trying it. It can’t be easy to get noticed in an ocean of sameness, accepted practices & expected norms in an industry like comics.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

There's only one way for you to prove that bold theory:

Trade your FIRST PRINTING for grendeljd's NOT-FIRST PRINTING.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Well said my friend. But you forgot the part where some people pushed a button to hurry the release date to finish and had to wait 5 more months. Im all played out. Kinda *SQUEE* me I cant go get a pin because thers no shops here and I get to pay for shipping. Ya probably wont be getting much from the.
I Miss the good old days.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

grendeljd wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:38:08 pm

You want to start picking on me for wanting to get a 1st print copy of a Bad Idea comic? Of the *first* Bad Idea comic? Let’s not start down that judgemental path please. I don’t *need* to buy *any* comics... nobody does, they’re luxury items we all can do without if we lived in a state of poverty. But we do not. People are allowed to want what they want, and acquire what they can afford to acquire.

And do not mistake my interest in a 1st print of a comic I want to support for any sort of toxic fan-boy entitlement. If I didn’t feel like putting any effort into getting a 1st print of Eniac, I would have settled for a second print. But I did want one. I kept in contact with my shop to make sure I was getting a 1st print despite all the hoops the store & I were made to jump through to get it. I went into my shop on new release day specifically because I was looking forward to getting Eniac #1 on that day. I did not get up early and try to line up for a chance at a shiny marketing button to proclaim my fandom for others to see. I also don’t judge others who did participate in that and enjoyed themselves for that participation. It’s not for me this time around. I enjoyed doing that for the early VEI days, but not now - even though I like these guys as a publishing team. I’m burnt out on that stuff.

I just want to be a fan that supports good comics - but I’m not sure why I deserve a bit of flack for wanting to get a 1st print copy of a good comic. I’m simply expressing a bit of distaste for the marketing method these guys have chosen to engage in. I understand it, and why they are trying it. It can’t be easy to get noticed in an ocean of sameness, accepted practices & expected norms in an industry like comics.
First of all, I apologize if I've offended you in any way. Your comment just seemed emblematic of a mindset that I've noticed on social media. People seem to be focusing a bit too much on the damn printing, instead of the fact that they got one at all.

My only point is that having the first printing seems to be something that has ultimately turned you off from Bad Idea. You would be supporting them by buying the second printing, just as much as the first printing. I wanted a first printing too, but I didn't end up with one, which is unfortunate, but that's sort of the game Bad Idea is playing with us. Are you in it for the collectability or the story? If you're only in it for collectability, it might take some digging and extra money to get that first printing. If you just want to read the book and show support, get the not first printing and move on.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

For example, I am quite excited about reading Eniac, Megalith, The Lot, and anything that Dysart will be writing - but I’m not interested in Whalesville, Tankers, or any of the silly looking comedy books. I won’t be blind-buying everything they put out this time around.
I wasn't that excited for Whalesville and Tankers I was on the fence, but then I talked to the creative teams, saw the artwork and now I am very excited. Did you see our Bad Idea Chat with the gang from last year? If not I suggest you check it out.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

As far as the scarcity of Eniac #1 first print. I do not think it was intended to be as scarce as it was. We will be asking Dinesh & Warren about it on the next Bad Idea Takeover of The Comic Source.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

TheFerg714 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:10:22 pm

First of all, I apologize if I've offended you in any way. Your comment just seemed emblematic of a mindset that I've noticed on social media. People seem to be focusing a bit too much on the damn printing, instead of the fact that they got one at all.

My only point is that having the first printing seems to be something that has ultimately turned you off from Bad Idea. You would be supporting them by buying the second printing, just as much as the first printing. I wanted a first printing too, but I didn't end up with one, which is unfortunate, but that's sort of the game Bad Idea is playing with us. Are you in it for the collectability or the story? If you're only in it for collectability, it might take some digging and extra money to get that first printing. If you just want to read the book and show support, get the not first printing and move on.
I appreciate the apology - and no worries. I don’t really think you were aiming to be offensive there, I just took exception to the idea of being judged for wanting to buy a 1st print copy of a new comic. It’s often a challenge to fully articulate a point with emotional intent intact via text only.

This is not a further rant targeted at you Ferg, but just in general - since when do any of us have to just be content with not getting a first print of a new comic on the day it’s released, if we have made the simple effort of pre-ordering and arriving at the store on release day to pick it up? Since when are we expecting too much by wanting that?

I’m not turned off Bad Idea in any way yet as far as checking out their titles and seeing if the quality is there or not - I anticipate that there will be some great comics from them. And the idea of getting that 1st print is not the turn-off, it’s the idea of creating false scarcity around a 1st print copy and running with that as a marketing gimmick. I don’t find it clever to call your company Bad Idea and then run with actual bad ideas like it’s a funny inside joke. The name is great, and there is humour to be had in it - but this isn’t it.

I have been a comics fan who enjoys quality comics in addition to enjoying their collectability all my life. What is wrong with wanting to enjoy both elements? I do have limits on how far I’ll go for the collectibility factor though - enjoying a good read is a higher priority for sure. If I want something bad enough, I will pay more if & when I can afford it. But again, I don’t like the general implication that wanting to buy a 1st print of a regular brand new comic off the shelf (even from a small press/indie publisher) is somehow wrong. Or the idea that if I want that, I will have to expect to go through some more extreme collector measures to pay for it instead of just getting what I ordered on new release day.

Anyways, that’s enough ranting & rambling :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Jace wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:42:15 pm

For example, I am quite excited about reading Eniac, Megalith, The Lot, and anything that Dysart will be writing - but I’m not interested in Whalesville, Tankers, or any of the silly looking comedy books. I won’t be blind-buying everything they put out this time around.
I wasn't that excited for Whalesville and Tankers I was on the fence, but then I talked to the creative teams, saw the artwork and now I am very excited. Did you see our Bad Idea Chat with the gang from last year? If not I suggest you check it out.
I think I did! :high-five:

For me, even seeing the artwork is not enough to tempt me on those titles. It’s the subject matter that I’m not interested in. I think the art looks really great on both books, and they’re probably both going to be fantastic comics - but they simply don’t interest me. I am not and have never been OCD about owning every book put out by a given publisher that I am a fan of (even small press publishers), and while I did actually attempt to do that for a time with early VEI (not with variants, but each issue of each title published), it’s not my normal habit.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Jace wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:44:23 pm

As far as the scarcity of Eniac #1 first print. I do not think it was intended to be as scarce as it was. We will be asking Dinesh & Warren about it on the next Bad Idea Takeover of The Comic Source.
They started out saying only 50 stores would be carrying their books. Then they increased it to 100. Then they increased it to 150. STORES. At what point did they not realize they didn’t have enough copies to support the “unexpected” demand? It doesn’t quite add up.

I know there is a distinction between number of stores carrying a book and how many copies those stores will actually order, but if they were concerned about covering all their orders initially with 1st prints, then maybe they shouldn’t have expanded to more stores so fast before launching. They want to meet the demand with sales, obviously (not blaming them for that), but it’s a bit underhanded.

The second prints do easily cover all the “extra” orders, especially since they’re just unlimited “not 1st prints” (which is an idea that I actually like very much for handling anything after the 1st print edition), so they can certainly meet demand that way... but then there’s that expectation again that people should just be happy with getting a second print

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote: I don’t *need* to buy *any* comics... nobody does, they’re luxury items we all can do without if we lived in a state of poverty.
Finally, my years spent on this site have paid off. I have finally exposed the great Canadian socialist conspiracy against blue-blooded Americans' God-given rights to enjoy American comic books! It's right here folks from the fingertips of a dirty socialist Canadian to our digital screens to our eyeballs.

Don't let them get away with this!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.