Finally found this ghost!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Finally found this ghost!

Post by syzhang28 »

I've been looking for one of these since right after they came out. Anyone know how many (or few!) they made? And does anyone else have one? There seem to be a few things like this from the Dinesh / pre-DMG days that have just disappeared. It's very hard to find some of the preview books, the store exclusive free comic book day books, the deluxe editions and the this. Just absolute ghosts

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Finally found this ghost!

Post by IMJ »

Is it htf now? Dammit! I meant to order that a long time ago. LOL! It was on the DCBS site for a very long time, and I think I was hesitant because there, as I recall, was some criticism about the omnibus format in that the page presentation wasn't done well or something like that.

I always felt like that was a book I'd "just be able to pick up whenever...." and so I never got around to it.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I have one and got it pretty late. It's nice. Mine came a bit dinged. DCBS....

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:48:48 pm I have one and got it pretty late. It's nice. Mine came a bit dinged. DCBS....
I've ordered monthly through them for maybe 12 years now (although I began with ..... what was it? Mail Order Comics). My biggest gripe with them is that on the one or two occassions that I didn't get a ratio book I've ordered, that book turned out to be a big after market mover. Like the Riri Apocalypse variant.

ugh.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

IMJ wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:34:36 pm [My biggest gripe with them is that on the one or two occassions that I didn't get a ratio book I've ordered, that book turned out to be a big after market mover. Like the Riri Apocalypse variant.

ugh.
Their business model is very close to bait-and-switch. Their customer service told me that every month the managers have a meeting to decide which orders they honor or not.

Also they now and then forget to pack valuable books that are on the shipping manifest.

But what made me stop ordering from them was when they tried to blame VEI for their mistakes (especially one manager has the habit of making false claims even when the truth is easily checked).

I did order the omnibus. Even carried it to a con to have Bob Layton sign it. I managed to ding it a bit, but that's worth it for have a memory of meeting a creator. Congrats to syzhang28 for finding his and hope one turns up for IMJ.

/Magnus

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

You got yours signed? Do you have a photo?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

IMJ wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:09:58 pm Is it htf now? Dammit! I meant to order that a long time ago. LOL! It was on the DCBS site for a very long time, and I think I was hesitant because there, as I recall, was some criticism about the omnibus format in that the page presentation wasn't done well or something like that.

I always felt like that was a book I'd "just be able to pick up whenever...." and so I never got around to it.
Impossible to find!

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

syzhang28 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:49:00 am It's very hard to find some of the preview books…
Which preview books are difficult to find?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

The pullbox previews. Hard to even be sure how there are!

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:53:59 pm
IMJ wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:09:58 pm Is it htf now? Dammit! I meant to order that a long time ago. LOL! It was on the DCBS site for a very long time, and I think I was hesitant because there, as I recall, was some criticism about the omnibus format in that the page presentation wasn't done well or something like that.

Impossible to find!
I got lucky I guess. I didn't realize it was hard to find. It was the only HC I did not have as I had the regular Omnibus cover. Felt it was a bit of a hole in the collection so looked on eBay that day and got a still sealed copy for $70 as the sole bid on an auction later that week. ($91 with tax and shipping).

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:53:29 pm You got yours signed? Do you have a photo?

As I took this picture, desperately trying to show the dustjacket, I started to wonder - how much was different in the variant? The book itself or only the dustjacket? In my book they list cover credits for both versions, how is it in the regular omnibus?

/Magnus

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

This is irritating...DCBS canceled mine last year stating it was canceled by the publisher. UGH!

Apr 24, 2019, 1:58 PM

Discount Comic Book Service
Hi,

The following items have been cancelled and have been credited in your account to the order listed. The reason for each cancellation is provided as well. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Title Reason Order Qty Credit
X-O MANOWAR COMPENDIUM TP VOL 01 (C: 0-1-2) [JUN182099] Cancelled by Publisher XXXXX 1 $38.99
Last edited by unityshadowman on Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:31:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

unityshadowman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:22:04 pm This is irritating...DCBS canceled mine last year stating it was canceled by the publisher. UGH!

Hi,

The following items have been cancelled and have been credited in your account to the order listed. The reason for each cancellation is provided as well. Please let us know if you have any questions.

X-O MANOWAR COMPENDIUM TP VOL 01 (C: 0-1-2) [JUN182099] Cancelled by Publisher XXXXX 1 $38.99
Wasn't that the corresponding book for the "non-classic" X-O Manowar?

/Magnus

unityshadowman
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

magnusr wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:26:17 pm
unityshadowman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:22:04 pm This is irritating...DCBS canceled mine last year stating it was canceled by the publisher. UGH!

Hi,

Wasn't that the corresponding book for the "non-classic" X-O Manowar?

/Magnus
I think you're right, Magnus. It's this one, right: http://valiantentertainment.com/comics/ ... m-one-tpb/

And the Omnibus came out in 2014, if I recall. Getting my books confused.
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431