Magnus #5 (1991) cover sells for $10,000+

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Magnus #5 (1991) cover sells for $10,000+

Post by greg »

Magnus #5 (1991) cover by Art Nichols sold tonight for $10,088

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item ... itemType=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
Re: Magnus #5 (1991) cover sells for $10,000+

Post by valiantdude »

I saw the bloodshot #1 cover going for 30k on a comic art website last week.. pre computer comic art is going to be very valuable in the next 50 years..
I had a chance to by the a+a 0 cover from bws for 5k in 2004, I balked then..its worth way more now

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Barry Windsor-Smith had 3 pages in the same auction.

A beautiful Weapon X page went for $177,890.
BWS_WeaponXpage.jpg
Two early Solar pages from Valiant got $3,900 each.
Solar4pageAlpha.jpg
Solar2pageAlpha.jpg
https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/alls ... DSOR-SMITH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

That weapon x page is insane..coloring takes away from it..
I have one page...dark dominion #7 page 4...1st jg jones..
I got it for $40 on Ebay in 2015..
I should've been collecting the art the whole time..
Jesus..

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I bid pretty high on that Magnus cover. These don’t come up very often, but ths pre-Unity covers are higher than ever. If they are going for five figures now, I’m likely not to get another one.

The Solar pages also went really high. I expected 800-1000.

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

Yeah - I thought about it when it was still holding at $4,200. I am, after all, Rai-fan.

But $10k+ seems insane to me, esp. when the X-O # 1 & # 2 covers each sold a few years ago for more like $7500 apiece.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

greg wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:31:30 pm Magnus #5 (1991) cover by Art Nichols sold tonight for $10,088

:o :o :o

I wonder what the prelim would go for?

Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I didn't even know this was for sale. I'd have bid on it. Given my recent "letting go of things" and obsessive stock market infiltration I don't know if I'd have gone in for 10k, but who knows once the bidding bug bites?

I'd love to have the reverse cover to this one....

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Threads like this is a bit of mixed feelings. Should I be happy my collection might be worth more, or sad that nice items are way out of my reach?

Either way fascinating to see. Not just as a collector but also because it's a good illustration of how the whole economic system has changed. It's like a huge inflation, but only on non-essentials and housing.

And there's lots of nice pictures in this thread. :thumb:

/Magnus

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

sonicdan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:07:16 am
greg wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:31:30 pm Magnus #5 (1991) cover by Art Nichols sold tonight for $10,088

:o :o :o

I wonder what the prelim would go for?

That is pretty sweet, Dan!

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

greg wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:51:17 pm Barry Windsor-Smith had 3 pages in the same auction.

A beautiful Weapon X page went for $177,890.
BWS_WeaponXpage.jpg

Two early Solar pages from Valiant got $3,900 each.

Solar4pageAlpha.jpg
Solar2pageAlpha.jpg

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/alls ... DSOR-SMITH
Had a hunch I knew where some of these pieces went:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerynew.asp?GCat=2208

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

magnusr wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:36:38 am Threads like this is a bit of mixed feelings. Should I be happy my collection might be worth more, or sad that nice items are way out of my reach?

Either way fascinating to see. Not just as a collector but also because it's a good illustration of how the whole economic system has changed. It's like a huge inflation, but only on non-essentials and housing.

And there's lots of nice pictures in this thread. :thumb:

/Magnus
So I read this and I've got to throw this out there. I've been having a similar discussion with a buddy as we talk about my latest round of selling. I'm going to use an Iron Man knife here in my example.

Basically I've been going through my collection spreadsheets and inventories as I sell stuff. Along the way I've been moving things I have doubles of out first and I've been experiencing this sort of disconnect between what I paid for things in the past (past = between ten and 18 years ago) and what I remember feeling about what I've paid for things in the past. And oh man what a disconnect it is.

For example, I have the memory of sitting around and debating about whether or not to pull the trigger on the Franklin Mint Iron Man knife. Back in the day it was sought after in Iron Man circles and it was considered somewhat pricey. That's the memory I have of it. And in that memory I was recently thinking, "man what did this thing cost? Like 200 bucks for a knife?" - a thought based on my memory of the dissonance I had as to whether or not I should buy it.

I go back through my records on it. 36 bucks, man.

Collectibles were a different era back then. I've got a ton of 9.8 Iron Man common slabs - some of which wee 22 bucks shipped back in the day. But now everyone wants to get rich on their random, somewhat useless copper era slab.

I mean, I know prices go up, but I agree that things are getting out of reach, even for the regular "stretch" buyer who might've pulled the trigger on a four figure book once or twice back in the day. As I type this I"m watching the Heritage Live Auctions (when they go in real time with the automated voice auctioneer) and some of these sales are like "whaaaa???".

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

I have been wondering the same thing. The prices of so many items in the $1,000s, $10,000s of dollars just seems strange to me. There really are not that many people out there who can afford to spend a small fortune on comics.

Capgemini says the High Net Worth Population globally is ($1 million to $ 5 million of investable wealth) to be 17.6 million globally with 5.9 million in the USA.

Mid-tier High Net Worth ($5 million to $30 million) to be 1.75 million globally and Ultra High Net Worth (more than $30 million) to be 183,400.

That really is not that many people when you think of it - and only a very small sub-segment of that would be interested in comics. I sometimes think it is just the same small group of people passing the same books back and forth to each other.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

And on that note there were maybe 4 Iron Man volume one slabs I was targeting in tonight's heritage auction. One of them in particular is a sort of unknown unicorn of a slab (at least so I thought... unknown). 20 years of relatively passive looking for a white pages copy of that book and that was the only copy I've ever seen come to market. That grail of a slab sold for about $2300 bucks when you account for the buyer's premium.

And the others I was interested in? Just skyrocketed at the end - I couldn't justify it. I got my *SQUEE* handed to me on every single listing - I didn't win one book.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Impressive price on the Magnus cover - I was watching that and the two BWS Solar pages in that auction. I didn't really expect to be able to afford either of the BWS Solar pages, but I was honestly surprised they both went that high! Also, super glad to hear that Dino got both of them - they couldn't possibly have gone into a better personal collection! :clap: :clap:

I bid on some JRJr Starbrand pages that I consider to be pre-Valiant Valiant! :lol: :P
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:03:16 pm Impressive price on the Magnus cover - I was watching that and the two BWS Solar pages in that auction. I didn't really expect to be able to afford either of the BWS Solar pages, but I was honestly surprised they both went that high! Also, super glad to hear that Dino got both of them - they couldn't possibly have gone into a better personal collection! :clap: :clap:
Oh cool! Good for him! That actually makes me feel a little better about missing out on the Rai cover!

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:05:53 am
grendeljd wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:03:16 pm Impressive price on the Magnus cover - I was watching that and the two BWS Solar pages in that auction. I didn't really expect to be able to afford either of the BWS Solar pages, but I was honestly surprised they both went that high! Also, super glad to hear that Dino got both of them - they couldn't possibly have gone into a better personal collection! :clap: :clap:
Oh cool! Good for him! That actually makes me feel a little better about missing out on the Rai cover!
I don't think he won the Magnus #5 cover, unless he just hasn't posted it yet... but I did see in his gallery that he already owns the RAI #1 flipside cover art for that issue! :clap:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Also, even crazier than the BWS Weapon X piece - that Amazing Spiderman #299 cover by McFarlane went for $250,000!!! :o

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

grendeljd wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:40:24 pm Also, even crazier than the BWS Weapon X piece - that Amazing Spiderman #299 cover by McFarlane went for $250,000!!! :o

I actually showed that to my wife before auction started and I guessed the final price lol

I guessed 200k on the BWS wolverine

Too bad I couldn't afford anything, but just to watch