recommendations for giving away post-Unity issues?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

brettculp
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor-Smith
recommendations for giving away post-Unity issues?

Post by brettculp »

I need to consolidate my comic book collection for space. I have a few short boxes with duplicate copies of post-Unity VH1 books. Nothing with any real monetary value - I don't think it's worth trying to sell them.

Any recommendations for giving them away? I suspect my LCS wouldn't want them. And I don't think the library or Goodwill accepts comics in bags/boards.

Thoughts?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: recommendations for giving away post-Unity issues?

Post by IMJ »

Just take your longboxes and bring them to your LCS and take whatever they give you. A common LCS longbox buy is 20 - 25 bucks. Take in store credit so that you see a little more out of it and then buy the best key you can with the credit.

I mean that's the best way to get value out of common back issues when you are done run building. Unfortunate truth. Not ever comic turns a profit and most comics don't work well as silver or bonds. ;)

brettculp

Post by brettculp »

IMJ wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:02:06 pm Just take your longboxes and bring them to your LCS and take whatever they give you. A common LCS longbox buy is 20 - 25 bucks. Take in store credit so that you see a little more out of it and then buy the best key you can with the credit.

I mean that's the best way to get value out of common back issues when you are done run building. Unfortunate truth. Not ever comic turns a profit and most comics don't work well as silver or bonds. ;)
Thanks, IMJ. I may give that a shot!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Someone on another site mentioned donating comic books to charity, estimating their value at $2 each, and getting something like $0.65 each in tax credit.
In the case of post-Unity Valiant books, the original cover price was $2.25 or $2.50, so I don't think the IRS would get too upset if you estimate the value at $2 each... but that's a risk I haven't tried yet.

brettculp

Post by brettculp »

greg wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:32:09 am Someone on another site mentioned donating comic books to charity, estimating their value at $2 each, and getting something like $0.65 each in tax credit.
In the case of post-Unity Valiant books, the original cover price was $2.25 or $2.50, so I don't think the IRS would get too upset if you estimate the value at $2 each... but that's a risk I haven't tried yet.
Excellent thought, Greg. I will look into this!

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

You might be able to sell some if you price them cheap ($1 a book would be worth more than the .65 tax credit) and put a list on the Facebook Valiant Buy/Sell page.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

brettculp

Post by brettculp »

kjjohanson wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:28:32 pm You might be able to sell some if you price them cheap ($1 a book would be worth more than the .65 tax credit) and put a list on the Facebook Valiant Buy/Sell page.
Thanks for the idea, kjjohanson!

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

kjjohanson wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:28:32 pm You might be able to sell some if you price them cheap ($1 a book would be worth more than the .65 tax credit) and put a list on the Facebook Valiant Buy/Sell page.
Just to build on this idea, if you do it maybe you can ask for friends and family payments to help with the fees. That way you'll actually capture a buck-a-book.....

And then anything that isn't picked can go into a longbox for your store credit trade at an LCS, or your tax-deduction donation.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

So I am not a tax pro but deducting donated property on your taxes is no longer the automatic thing it used to be. I think you have to itemize, and the number of people who have some benefit in doing that has never been smaller. The explosion in "free stuff" groups all over the country is not an accident. Anyway, please check into it before you think you will get some benefit from a donation.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

ckb wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:23:03 pm So I am not a tax pro but deducting donated property on your taxes is no longer the automatic thing it used to be. I think you have to itemize, and the number of people who have some benefit in doing that has never been smaller. The explosion in "free stuff" groups all over the country is not an accident. Anyway, please check into it before you think you will get some benefit from a donation.
I am a CPA and this type of donation of property would need to be itemized. With the new Trump taxes he increased the standard deduction so much that, from a federal tax perspective, the average American will no longer itemize because they get a bigger return using the standard deduction. You might be able to itemize them on your state return depending on the state you live in.

Also, if you take more than a $500 donation for donating property you are at a higher risk of audit as the government asks for more evidence of what you donated. A lot of people have tried to take advantage of this and the gov’t looks at this line if it is big number. I personally donate a lot of stuff and never go above $500 if the value is squishy.

Just my :twocents:
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

caxiotis wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:11:00 pm
ckb wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:23:03 pm So I am not a tax pro but deducting donated property on your taxes is no longer the automatic thing it used to be. I think you have to itemize, and the number of people who have some benefit in doing that has never been smaller. The explosion in "free stuff" groups all over the country is not an accident. Anyway, please check into it before you think you will get some benefit from a donation.
I am a CPA and this type of donation of property would need to be itemized. With the new Trump taxes he increased the standard deduction so much that, from a federal tax perspective, the average American will no longer itemize because they get a bigger return using the standard deduction. You might be able to itemize them on your state return depending on the state you live in.

Also, if you take more than a $500 donation for donating property you are at a higher risk of audit as the government asks for more evidence of what you donated. A lot of people have tried to take advantage of this and the gov’t looks at this line if it is big number. I personally donate a lot of stuff and never go above $500 if the value is squishy.

This.

I used to give cheap books to a children’s hospital, but they started turning me away, like most other places. It’s just not stuff kids want. Most people don’t. I sell that crap at $20 a short box because that is easier than giving it away.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:02:13 pm
caxiotis wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:11:00 pm

This.

I used to give cheap books to a children’s hospital, but they started turning me away, like most other places. It’s just not stuff kids want. Most people don’t. I sell that crap at $20 a short box because that is easier than giving it away.
That was where I was going with my recommendation as well, although 20 bucks a short box is pretty good man. Most LCS will do 15 to 20 a long box! Unless you are talking direct sales to someone..... But still that's pretty good.

The dark truth about comic books "investing".

I've been spending a lot of time across this last year going through my boxes, making sure everything is bagged and boarded properly, accounted for in my inventory, checking for outilers on grade (both high and low). It's been fun, but I can't help but think that I'm also doing this as part of a long-term letting go project.

brettculp

Post by brettculp »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Lots to consider!