Saw something interesting Predator Vs Magnus

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Saw something interesting Predator Vs Magnus

Post by Oxmyx »

Great comic, by the way. It puts a lot of the comics recently to shame.

But in #1 Magnus has his classic white boots all the way until the end.
In #2, Magnus has grey boots in every panel except one...where his boots are red. I'd like to assume maybe his boots just got dirty or maybe when he got attacked in the middle of the night he put on the wrong boots. But #2 start is a direct continuation of #1 close.

Just funny, considering the story I read about the origin of his white boots due to a colorist miscommunication and the sort of big deal it made to Magnus classic look.

Does anyone know if #2 was art or color by Dark Horse maybe?

Second thing, the Predator in the first scene must be the Predator in the main arc due to me seeing that he's wearing the XO ring when the spaceship blows up behind him. It's the only time I saw the XO ring in #1

I didn't see the XO ring too much in #2 (until the end, of course) but I saw one panel that the penciller had drawn the XO ring but the colorist must have missed it and made the whole hand the same color!

Okay, maybe there's no point to this post, but I thought these were cool things to note.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Saw something interesting Predator Vs Magnus

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Perhaps the (different) colorist of the second issue wasn't familiar with Magnus and took inspiration from the final panel of issue #1 where the boots don't really appear to be white. This would be my best guess. The second issue was also published a couple of months after the first issue because it was around the time Shooter got kicked out. Shooter plotted the story but didn't co-write the second issue anymore. If he had still been around he would have probably noticed it and said something about the boots.
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I really enjoyed the series years ago...may be time to go over it again! :D

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Ramses818 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:12:14 am I really enjoyed the series years ago...may be time to go over it again! :D
I'm thinking now that this miniseries might be a good first Valiant book to recommend to a friend. I remember Unity being a bit overwhelming as a beginning. Then again, I enjoyed feeling like this was such a rich universe. But 4001 is kinda overwhelming too. What do you think would be a good first book in VH1? Haha in a perfect world maybe Harbinger #1? Or one of the TPBs?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Yeah, ya can't start with Unity. You have to know the characters a little to have an appreciation of what's going on. Fortunately (or maybe not) there's not too much to read before Unity.

Harbinger is an easy start. It's a well known archetype.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Oxmyx wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:46:07 pm
Ramses818 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:12:14 am I really enjoyed the series years ago...may be time to go over it again! :D
I'm thinking now that this miniseries might be a good first Valiant book to recommend to a friend. I remember Unity being a bit overwhelming as a beginning. Then again, I enjoyed feeling like this was such a rich universe. But 4001 is kinda overwhelming too. What do you think would be a good first book in VH1? Haha in a perfect world maybe Harbinger #1? Or one of the TPBs?
Harbinger, XO or Solar are great starts in VH1. I would get them trades. Those trades can normally be found for 5 bucks. Or less..get all three and they will be hooked! And you look like a big spender. :D