Spoiler Alert! BLOODSHOT MOVIE Discussion...come in only if you have seen the movie.

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
Spoiler Alert! BLOODSHOT MOVIE Discussion...come in only if you have seen the movie.

Post by Juki »

I guess I will be the one to get this going.... let’s discuss the Bloodshot movie! Ok....where were all the Easter Eggs? What did you think of the supporting characters? How did you like the action/graphics? How about the story? What about the ending? Anything and everything is game.

jakgrimm
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Re: Spoiler Alert! BLOODSHOT MOVIE Discussion...come in only if you have seen the movie.

Post by jakgrimm »

Fantastic movie!! As a 25 year valiant fan I really enjoyed all of it. It was not corny, or cheaply made or the hot mess it really could have been. I did not catch any Easter eggs, though I have to admit the 2012 version is not my area of expertise.

I will say that them not explaining the ending felt like a ripoff, Unless they are in a simulation from a backup copy of his files or something. There is no way he could have survived the ending for crying out loud.

And nothing after the credits. I was hoping to see Aric fly toward to the screen in his armor or something
Time to take a dump. -Torque

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis
Re: Spoiler Alert! BLOODSHOT MOVIE Discussion...come in only if you have seen the movie.

Post by hulk181man »

Saw it tonight and quite enjoyed it, was prepared for a disaster but my wife and I both found it MUCH, much better than Birds or Prey recently - which we both thought was god awful and could barely sit through.

Bloodshot does a nice job w/plot (for the most part), characterization, cast, special effects and even manages to inject some humor. The action scenes were well handled and didn't seem overly gratuitous in an effort to chew screen time. And seeing Dino's name in the credits was neat :thumb:
A few thoughts, when Bloodshot went after Rising Spirit wouldn't they have their own EMP capable weapon as a safeguard against him? And will an EMP always take him out or will he evolve against this 'kryptonite'?

Wish they'd snuck in a few Easter eggs of other characters --- greatly missed opportunity there! When he went to England I was hoping for at least a brief bump into some dude named Colin King. Finally, they could have explored his nanite abilities in greater detail. I was waiting for him to alter his appearance, etc.

I give the film about an 8 of out 10, a pleasant surprise. 17 people in the theatre....
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Juki wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:34:02 pm I guess I will be the one to get this going.... let’s discuss the Bloodshot movie! Ok....where were all the Easter Eggs? What did you think of the supporting characters? How did you like the action/graphics? How about the story? What about the ending? Anything and everything is game.
Easter egg: My son was pretty sure he saw a Bloodshot issue 1 comic, I missed it. Anyone else saw it? Then there were the clear references to the comics that have already been discussed.

The story itself was not really built on the comics. It had taken the vital elements from the comics and built something new from it. Considering that it is important to reach a new audience, I completely support that approach. Two friends who went with us did not know the comics, and they appreciated that the movie was self-contained.

On the other hand, I can now finally say that in my opinion, the trailer did give away too much.

The action/graphics were top-notch. That's the main strength of the movie. It was pleasant with a movie that delivers solid action without being contrived. I am afraid that this can be a disadvantage with the current empty theaters. It's a "for-the-moment" movie. And because of the virus, the moment could be missed.

I saw it in IMAX and some scenes just blew me away. Generally not a dull moment. Frankly, even if they had wanted to put in deep character development, there just wouldn't have been any time for it.

Thinking back, there was so many parts of the story that could have been expanded, that the movie could easily have been six hours long. But when watching it, it didn't feel rushed. It was well paced and still gave a well balanced intruduction to all supporting characters. And those characters were the right mix, and they all stood out just enough without becoming exaggerated.

The end was a bit of a cliché, and considering what they had said earlier in the movie, that leaves it open to interpretation.

/Magnus

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I loved it.

Tibbs was a great character, I loved the upgrade and the flying cameras when hunting bloodshot. Loved the electric bike, and all the information coming via the cameras to help him navigate. Was absolutely amazing.
Really enjoyed the Wiggins Character.
Have to watch the film again, hope Tibbs is not dead ( we don't see a body ~ but assume he is dead), could see the Character develop and switch sides.
Saying that, I am glad he didn't switch sides in the film.

The big fight at the end was fantastic, as was the story. Worked really well.

The dance at the start was soooo good.

Really loved the one liners, they didn't seem cheesy at all. Made a people laugh in the audience.

What stuck in my mind, that really annoyed me. As in Arrhhhhhhh!
Come on, the flower truck crashes. Its flower and flower dust everywhere inside an enclosed space. The first thing they do is light flares.
I was waiting for the explosion. Fine dust and flame will cause an explosion. As in a big explosion! Fine dust of any grain, and flame. That Annoyed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hS6IGO2tdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmrxFcTTv-c

If someone can explain that away? I would be happy. Maybe it was flame retardant flour safe for humans.

But the scene, and action sequence of that ~ was amazing.

Cannot wait to watch it again!
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Phantom wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:08:47 am The dance at the start was soooo good.
Like a Reservoir Dogs ripoff good?

Copied from RD 100% but maybe it is meant to be a homage to one of the best heist movies ever.

Sunlight on Snow

jakgrimm wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06:49 pm And nothing after the credits. I was hoping to see Aric fly toward to the screen in his armor or something
Sony only has the rights to touch Bloodshot but no other Valiant IP.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

magnusr wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:50:16 am
Easter egg: My son was pretty sure he saw a Bloodshot issue 1 comic, I missed it. Anyone else saw it? Then there were the clear references to the comics that have already been discussed.
Yes I saw it. Right before the credits really start rolling they HD the VH1 Bloodshoot issue on screen.

That was the only Easter Egg I noticed.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Double post

Sunlight on Snow

Phantom wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:08:47 am But the scene, and action sequence of that ~ was amazing.
The tunnel scene was really lame and far too long. But the chase scene was even more b-movie like.

This felt like 95 rather boring minutes of Universal Soldier and finally 5 minutes of Bloodshot and then it was over.

Very predictable even without the trailers but the trailers spoiled the best visual effects.

But hey, I watched this at 11pm and I did not fall asleep....

Average movie.

Easter egg.

I also saw the comic book. It was right in the center of the screen.

Best one (irony on) is Jimmy Dalton drinking a protein shake before shutting down Bloodshot to be recharged (irony off).

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I thought the cliche movie references where explained.
Guy Peirce says it to axe the it guy
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

magnus20009 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:13:45 am
magnusr wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:50:16 am
Yes I saw it. Right before the credits really start rolling they HD the VH1 Bloodshoot issue on screen.

That was the only Easter Egg I noticed.
The comic cover is sort of laying out flat, and was sort of a quick special effect, as I remember it.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

I was sitting next to my friend from South Africa in the theater, and she pointed out that the chase scene through London was actually the streets of Cape Town. As was the scene at the end of the movie, in case anyone was wondering what they filmed there.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:07:56 am
Phantom wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:08:47 am The dance at the start was soooo good.

Copied from RD 100% but maybe it is meant to be a homage to one of the best heist movies ever.
That was my initial reaction as well (not a straight rip off, but obvious very heavily influenced by RD), which in the context of the story ended up making sense, since there were people creating false memories, and one of them was a hack.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

2 Easter Eggs?

1) VH1 Bloodshot Comic...... I can’t believe that I missed this :(

2) Jimmy Dalton drinking protein shake before Bloodshot recharge......I didn’t put 2 and 2 together on this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Surely there had to be more than these 2 Easter Eggs. Did anyone see anything else?

I realize that there not going to be any references to any other Valiant characters due to filming rights. However, I was expecting more from the Bloodshot property itself.
Last edited by Juki on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:57:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

I was pretty pleased, but not overjoyed. But being genuinely pleased is saying a lot because most movies these days I walk out of the theater and think "Why did I pay good money for losing two hours of my life?"

I think they made the right call in adapting the Bloodshot signature look to the big screen. The bright red circle on Bloodshot chest is just too comicbooky for live action in my opinion. I'm not sure the internal heat buildup glow was the best decision, but the perfect circle just made very little live action sense.

I got used to seeing the big Marvel logo at the beginning of movies. I understand Valiant doesn't carry that much name recognition, but I was disappointed I didn't see it at the beginning. In fact, not until the end of closing credits.

The movie itself was very well done for 90%. Kudos to all. It was a action rollercoaster from beginning to climax.

The best surprise for me was the sadistic "fight for us willingly or we take back our tech and you die" aspect of HARD Corps used on the heroine (whose name doesn't come to mind). It's an idea I saw in VH1 HARD Corps, but I'm not sure about VEI HARD Corps. I know both have the "run and we blow up your brain" threat.

At least THAT wasn't in the trailer. I was very disappointed to learn that the trailer really DID give away the whole movie. Someone here had posted that they were laughing at non-Valiant fans who thought the trailer gave away the whole movie. That post made the very good point that with so much memory manipulation the entire trailer could be misdirection. Nope. Coulda woulda shoulda but nope. Sony doesn't do misdirection and subtly apparently. I'm sure the movie creators were *SQUEE*.

Okay...all that...and I thought the ending scenes were boring and kinda sappy. Good setup for a sequel I suppose but it felt like lazy writing. After such a good movie that was a downer.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

jakgrimm wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06:49 pm It was not corny, or cheaply made or the hot mess it really could have been....

...There is no way he could have survived the ending for crying out loud....

And nothing after the credits. I was hoping to see Aric fly toward to the screen in his armor or something
Exactly! This movie could have EASILY been a huge disappointment and was the opposite. I feel like I dodged a bullet and landed on a pile of cash.

I have to admit, I hadn't thought about the ENDING in THAT way. It should have bothered me but I guess I just had switched off my DISBELIEF by halfway through the movie.

You're idea about an Aric fly-by would have been such a beautiful moment. I'm jealous it didn't occur to me. I did stay until the end of the credits though.

I saw Kothari in the credits. I hadn't realized he was associated with the movie. I guess that is from before he betrayed us.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Several Easter Eggs

On the map when Ray is tracking Baris you can see other names on the map of others Garrison has killed and one is clearly D. Perlin

Also KT talking to Ray and they are discussing other members that had been enhanced both Layton and Van Hook last names were mentioned

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow

kjjohanson wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:16:06 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:07:56 am

That was my initial reaction as well (not a straight rip off, but obvious very heavily influenced by RD), which in the context of the story ended up making sense, since there were people creating false memories, and one of them was a hack.
OMG, I'm stupid! I take it back. Isn't he seeing glimpses from Reservoir Dogs in Acclaim's Bloodshot and are those glimpses (false memories) not connected to the mafia Gina DeCarlo's family is part of? So on second thought I think the dancing is 1000% homage to both Reservoir Dogs and Acclaim's Bloodshot and it's actually a heck of an Easter Egg. Damn, why didn't I see it that way in the first place?
Juki wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:07:47 am Surely there had to be more than these 2 Easter Eggs. Did anyone see anything else?

I realize that there not going to be any references to any other Valiant characters due to filming rights. However, I was expecting more from the Bloodshot property itself.
Well, there's the obvious ones.....e.g. the Mustang from Harbinger, BS lying on the table, that injection thing, some of his poses during action sequences are based on cover artwork.

Like I mentioned in another thread, in the novelization Bloodshot is being asked a few difficult questions by Harting that BS can only answer because of the nanites power. There's lots of details like this in the novelization that are missing in the movie which is part of the reason I don't really enjoyed the movie. Maybe I shouldn't have read the first 13 and a half chapters before watching it. Anyhow, if you're still planning to read it, don't look at the following Q&A because if you'll be able to connect the dots this will certainly bring a smile to your face.

SPOILER WARNING

[quote]"Who won the Nobel Price in Literature in 1953?" Harting asked, seemingly enjoying himself.[/quote]

[quote]Bloodshot: "Winston Churchill. Who said, 'The empires of the future are the empires of the mind'. This is cool!"[/quote]

Which of course is a reference to Toyo Harada and since Harada's name isn't even mentioned I was really hoping to have that in the movie. My best guess is, the director didn't even realize it's a reference to Harada.

Sunlight on Snow

betterthanezra wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:11:18 pm Several Easter Eggs

On the map when Ray is tracking Baris you can see other names on the map of others Garrison has killed and one is clearly D. Perlin

Also KT talking to Ray and they are discussing other members that had been enhanced both Layton and Van Hook last names were mentioned

-Brian
Yes, I noticed this, too, but forgot about it again. :!:

betterthanezra
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:20:56 pm

-Brian
That's ok it took me seeing it twice to catch the Perlin Easter Egg on the map

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow

Can we consider the guy from Memento playing Dr. Harting as an Easter Egg, too?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

The BWS Bloodshot 1 was pretty cool.

I saw VanHook, but I didn't see Perlin's name!

The programmed dream sequence with the Talking Heads song, and the Amalfi coast, etc. - that was supposed to be derivative on purpose. It's stuff that RST had come up with, and when I watched the movie, I was under the impression that it was Eric's contribution to the storyline (within the storyline).

That dance is a straight call to Reservoir Dogs, which was in the Acclaim run. I think it was Gina - when she mentioned "Reservoir Dogs" to him, he had a flood of memories. In the movie, there's the nod to Reservoir Dogs in the movie (one of my faves), but also when Ray's memory was jogged on hearing the Talking Heads song - a la Reservoir Dogs. It's all a circle.

You might call the Martin Axe character an easter egg of @X.

Not sure it's an easter egg, but Gina is from the Acclaim run. She gets taken out in the comic.

I look forward to seeing it again. I'm sure I'll pick up. more the second time, but the way it's looking, I may not see it in the theater with the virus and all.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

kjjohanson wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:14:34 am I was sitting next to my friend from South Africa in the theater, and she pointed out that the chase scene through London was actually the streets of Cape Town. As was the scene at the end of the movie, in case anyone was wondering what they filmed there.
Ah, I was wondering what kind of licence plates I was seeing.

/Magnus

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:20:56 pm

-Brian
Ok.... the Perlin, VanHook and Layton references are huge eggs.