Schools K-12 shut down in Louisiana till April 13th due to Coronavirus

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Schools K-12 shut down in Louisiana till April 13th due to Coronavirus

Post by lorddunlow »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:http://ldh.la.gov/coronavirus/

479 cases reported
1,047 tests completed

That's like almost 50%. That can't be right.
Yeah. We're in the propaganda/opportunistic troll part of this "crisis". Can't trust anything you read without verifying a legitimate source. Half of the actual medical community thinks the WHO actually recommended against using Ibuprofen. The French Health mi ister, sadly, did make that proclamation... literally based on the tweets of some random doctor in France who describe FOUR whole patients who were treated with ibuprofen who she felt had done pooy because of the ibuprofen.

We got the media making a big push with some really creative number manipulation to scare Millennials into thinking this is bad for them so they'll stop going out to restaurants and beaches when the data definitely shows it's basically the elderly and immunocompromised/complex medical issue people who die from this. Kids don't really get sick at all from it. I say this as a pediatrician who actually just discharged a "person under investigation" from the hospital today.

I'll say it again. Come to me when we've hit 12k dead in the US alone and I'll say we maybe didn't overreact. (That was the low end estimate of H1N1 flu deaths in 2009.) We didn't react like this in 2009 and over a billion people got sick and 100s of thousands died worldwide.

There are only 2 explanations for the rapid rise of the disease in China with an almost immediate cessation of new cases:

1. China is lying about their numbers and just aren't reporting new cases.

2. This virus is much more contagious (but much less deadly) than current data indicate, meaning virtually everyone in China contracted a subclinical case and became immune thereby rending the entire population (herd) immune which stopped its spread.

Both are likely. The latter case is the most likely. If the latter case is the most likely, then everything we are doing currently is a waste of time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

That is scary. China ousted US journalists from all major newspaper outlets, and the next day stated that no new cases had come about. That might be why Trump is calling this the China Virus. It's not racists, it's tit for tat.

If most of the world becomes infected, then yes, there probably isn't much we can do to course correct, can we?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

lorddunlow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:52:41 pmHalf of the actual medical community thinks the WHO actually recommended against using Ibuprofen.
Not so strange considering that the WHO did recommend against Ibuprofen. But then two days later they retracted that recommendation.
literally based on the tweets of some random doctor in France who describe FOUR whole patients
Mainly based on an article in the Lancet, which however only presented a hypothesis.

Good summary here:
https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-confu ... a-52824043
Kids don't really get sick at all from it.
Big question is whether they can spread the sickness. Probably not, but still an open question.
2. This virus is much more contagious (but much less deadly) than current data indicate, meaning virtually everyone in China contracted a subclinical case and became immune thereby rending the entire population (herd) immune which stopped its spread.

Both are likely. The latter case is the most likely. If the latter case is the most likely, then everything we are doing currently is a waste of time.
Must say the reports only confuse me, but I have read about some clusters that make it seem very contagious.

/Magnus

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:12:49 pm http://ldh.la.gov/coronavirus/

479 cases reported
1,047 tests completed

That's like almost 50%. That can't be right.
They are pretty rigorously pre-screening patients that they test. Roughly half of the pre-screened patients have tested positive. That suggests they are screening well, to me.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

This social distancing is ruining the alley. I could barely hear Sweetie Green saying "yup" earlier.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:47:28 pm This social distancing is ruining the alley. I could barely hear Sweetie Green saying "yup" earlier.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Yup. About like that.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Shortly after announcing new "guidelines" -- incl. staying at home and keeping a distance of 1.5m in public whenever and wherever possible-- German Chancellor Angela Merkel had to self-quarantine herself. A doctor she met on Friday has been tested positive.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:15:53 pm Shortly after announcing new "guidelines" -- incl. staying at home and keeping a distance of 1.5m in public whenever and wherever possible-- German Chancellor Angela Merkel had to self-quarantine herself. A doctor she met on Friday has been tested positive.
But who can know how far is 1.5m? Is that three feet? A hundred?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Chiclo wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:30:05 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:15:53 pm Shortly after announcing new "guidelines" -- incl. staying at home and keeping a distance of 1.5m in public whenever and wherever possible-- German Chancellor Angela Merkel had to self-quarantine herself. A doctor she met on Friday has been tested positive.
4.9 feet, the suggested distance in Louisiana is 6 feet.

Sunlight on Snow

Juki wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:34:46 pm
4.9 feet, the suggested distance in Louisiana is 6 feet.
:funnypost:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sunlight on Snow

I have "nanite-powered posting" now......woohoo!

Jódete, corona!

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

:lol:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Chiclo wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:30:05 pm But who can know how far is 1.5m? Is that three feet? A hundred?
Those who's done Lamaze class :) I remember spending one class first learning what is 1 cm, then 2 cm and so on up to 10 cm. Just take that times 15 ;)

/Magnus

Sunlight on Snow

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:55:40 pm I have "nanite-powered posting" now......woohoo!

Jódete, corona!
I don't know that I have ever seen that particular swear used in the wild. I always figured the vowel in the stem would devolve into a dipthong, i. e. juedete, particularly given that the Portuguese and Italian parallels are foder and fottere, respectively. (I wonder if there is a common etymology with the Bokmål faen?)

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09:30 amI wonder if there is a common etymology with the Bokmål faen?
I would assume that's the same word as Fan in Swedish, which means the devil.

/Magnus

Sunlight on Snow

Chiclo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09:30 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:55:40 pm I have "nanite-powered posting" now......woohoo!

Jódete, corona!
I don't know that I have ever seen that particular swear used in the wild. I always figured the vowel in the stem would devolve into a dipthong, i. e. juedete, particularly given that the Portuguese and Italian parallels are foder and fottere, respectively. (I wonder if there is a common etymology with the Bokmål faen?)
What do you mean? It's Spanish-Spanish. You're probably hearing and saying "chingate" more often in Texas.

Also, I saw an article titled "¡Jódete cáncer!" a couple of weeks ago.

From Wikipedia
"Faen is a contraction of the Norwegian word fanden, which means "the devil". Often used as an interjection. Can be translated to "*SQUEE*", though it does not refer to the act of fornicating. Faen ta deg means "*SQUEE* you" or, literally, "the devil take you"."

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

Yup. All the schools in Cody, WY where I live have closed down for at least two weeks.

I hope every one of you out there reading this is doing well. Knock on wood, but so car am showing no symptoms.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Fairfax, VA just ended the academic year. School is out for summer.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

magnusr wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:13:50 pm
Chiclo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09:30 amI wonder if there is a common etymology with the Bokmål faen?
I would assume that's the same word as Fan in Swedish, which means the devil.

/Magnus
That is somewhat disappointing.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:14:01 pm
Chiclo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09:30 am

Jódete, corona!
What do you mean? It's Spanish-Spanish. You're probably hearing and saying "chingate" more often in Texas.

Also, I saw an article titled "¡Jódete cáncer!" a couple of weeks ago.

From Wikipedia
"Faen is a contraction of the Norwegian word fanden, which means "the devil". Often used as an interjection. Can be translated to "*SQUEE*", though it does not refer to the act of fornicating. Faen ta deg means "*SQUEE* you" or, literally, "the devil take you"."
That was my point - I am aware of joder but only in an academic sense, not as a word that I have encountered in a real-life usage, even to the point that I had incorrect guesses as to its conjugation. I rarely speak to continental Spanish speakers even though I learned Spanish with a Castillian accent. I remember - or maybe I just think I remember - having heard an educated speaker of Latin American, Mexican or Tex-Mex Spanish use the form jodito once or twice or maybe I am just remembering wrong; whereas I quite commonly encounter forms of chingar in conversation.

Normally I avoid swearing but it is unavoidable when discussing profanity as linguistics. Especially in Russian. Lots of cursing in Irish but relatively little profanity (lots of suppositions about what the devil might do to you, not unlike the Norwegian thing). I will say, letting slip an occasional Y GOCH OEN is guttural enough to express disgust without crossing the threshold of profanity.

Sunlight on Snow

Chiclo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:48:17 pm That was my point - I am aware of joder but only in an academic sense, not as a word that I have encountered in a real-life usage, even to the point that I had incorrect guesses as to its conjugation. I rarely speak to continental Spanish speakers even though I learned Spanish with a Castillian accent. I remember - or maybe I just think I remember - having heard an educated speaker of Latin American, Mexican or Tex-Mex Spanish use the form jodito once or twice or maybe I am just remembering wrong; whereas I quite commonly encounter forms of chingar in conversation.

Normally I avoid swearing but it is unavoidable when discussing profanity as linguistics. Especially in Russian. Lots of cursing in Irish but relatively little profanity (lots of suppositions about what the devil might do to you, not unlike the Norwegian thing). I will say, letting slip an occasional Y GOCH OEN is guttural enough to express disgust without crossing the threshold of profanity.
Makes sense. Here in Germany I meet more Spanish than Latin American people or students and I travel to Spain/Portugal more often. In fact, I've never been to Mexico and Latin America. I studied something (Regional Science of Latin America) that included Portuguese and Spanish, linguistic, and Latin American history and economics but I stopped halfway (as the economics part wasn't my cup of tea at all) to start something else in IT. Instead of going to Latin America one day I then traveled to Vietnam and lived and worked their for 8 years. Quite the opposite direction and culture. When I started studying I learned Spanish for 2 semesters, then Brazilian-Portuguese for 4 semesters, then a couple of months at the university in Valencia/Spain. Old people in Portugal and people in Galicia always loved it when I mixed up everything.

In Valencia I met students from Honduras. They loved to swear using the word "pija" all the time. Que la pija this, que la pija that, me vale pija, pijudo/pijuda (actually meaning something is positive). When I started using it, too, they couldn't stop laughing anymore. They just loved the word and it certainly does sound funny. I keep using it. :lol:

I don't think I'm still fluent in any of the 2 languages, however, I keep swearing using Spanish because nobody in the family understands a word so I'm always 100% safe around the kids and everybody really. Swearing in Italian is fun, too. I think Italians/Sicilians use the word "minchia" just like Hondurans use "pija". It's interesting, though, both of these words are actually feminine but their meaning is certainly not.