VEI vs DMG Valiant: an honest poll

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Who made better comics in their first 2 years?

VEI (2012 X-O Manowar, 2012 Harbinger, 2012 Bloodshot, 2012 Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Harbinger Wars, Quantum & Woody, Eternal Warrior, Unity, Rai, Armor Hunters)
97%
DMG Valiant (Harbinger Wars 2, Bloodshot Rising Spirit, Psi-Lords, Roku, Incursion, Fallen World, Life and Death, Punk Mambo, KIllers, Livewire, Fatih Dreamside, Forgotten Queen, Visitor)
3%

Total votes: 29

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
VEI vs DMG Valiant: an honest poll

Post by syzhang28 »

I see comments from time to time that people don't think the new books are that bad and while that baffles me I try to keep an open mind. I also see that many of those who used to post when VEI was not DMG don't post much anymore. So I thought how about an honest poll to honor the 2 year anniversary of DMG Valiant? Who did the first two years better?

vs

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: VEI vs DMG Valiant: an honest poll

Post by BugsySig »

I do think not enough people call out VEI for their early failures (Shadowman and EW specifically, 2nd arc of Q&W, and some others).

Similarly, I don’t think DMG has been all bad either. A major knock on them has been the focus on non-tentpole characters.

People are going to take sides no matter what. A lot of peeps will stay loyal to Dino and Co and never give DMG a chance. Likewise, some old school VH1 cats never gave VEI the benefit of the doubt and only see that era with rose colored glasses.

Personally, I stopped reading most of the books about a year-plus before the DMG takeover (I bought every book VEI produced for their first 3-4 years) as I felt the quality and focus had shifted already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

My interest has waned to the point that I’m not reading them anymore, and I don’t buy the entire output. I’m a mega fan, and I was thinking about dropping everything altogether.

The Doctor Tomorrow previews look abysmal. The look and feel of the art is just not to my liking. I’m not saying it’s bad or terrible, but it has changed significantly to be a bit more juvenile, for lack of a better term, much like the previous-DMG Faith.

I still like the characters, but I’m not seeing stories that make me care. Where is the skin in the game?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

BugsySig wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:13:59 pm I do think not enough people call out VEI for their early failures (Shadowman and EW specifically, 2nd arc of Q&W, and some others).

Similarly, I don’t think DMG has been all bad either. A major knock on them has been the focus on non-tentpole characters.

People are going to take sides no matter what. A lot of peeps will stay loyal to Dino and Co and never give DMG a chance. Likewise, some old school VH1 cats never gave VEI the benefit of the doubt and only see that era with rose colored glasses.

Personally, I stopped reading most of the books about a year-plus before the DMG takeover (I bought every book VEI produced for their first 3-4 years) as I felt the quality and focus had shifted already.

You should check out 2017 X-O Manowar, Ninja-K etc. I think 2017 was their best year ever. Agree on year 2 for VEI, it seemed like they success of the first year overtook them. I do think they made up for EW with the amazing Wrath book and the 2017 Shadowman book started so strong and with such a clear focus I'm willing to bet had it got to run its course without a management change it would have been the same as Wrath. I loved all the Q&W books but I know that one is an acquired tasted

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

The poll question is a little lopsided in that VEI had the advantage of rebooting the line after many years of absence so there was a high anticipation factor.

DMG took over after the newness had worn off and everyone was in a "what have you done for me lately" mindset.

I was open-minded and optimistic -- but some of the initial DMG writers just crashed. Grevioux's Bloodshot broke me, and the first six issues of Livewire were boring as they tried to recover her character from the HW2 debacle. I stopped reading for a while. I did read The Forgotten Queen and liked it, but my reading habit had fallen into disrepair. The first few issues of Psi-Lords didn't help.

I still buy everything in anticipation of catching up... but I must admit that just tonight I was wondering why I'm buying comics I don't read. I should probably make some time to start reading again, I heard that Fallen World was pretty good.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:39:45 pm
BugsySig wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:13:59 pm I do think not enough people call out VEI for their early failures (Shadowman and EW specifically, 2nd arc of Q&W, and some others).

You should check out 2017 X-O Manowar, Ninja-K etc. I think 2017 was their best year ever. Agree on year 2 for VEI, it seemed like they success of the first year overtook them. I do think they made up for EW with the amazing Wrath book and the 2017 Shadowman book started so strong and with such a clear focus I'm willing to bet had it got to run its course without a management change it would have been the same as Wrath. I loved all the Q&W books but I know that one is an acquired tasted
I would actually say the opposite. They had all the pressure, nothing current to build off from and had to create a team roster for writers and artists from zero. On the other hand DMG Valiant even this last month has covers from some incredible talent that it took VEI years to find or groom.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:10:55 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:39:45 pm

I would actually say the opposite. They had all the pressure, nothing current to build off from and had to create a team roster for writers and artists from zero. On the other hand DMG Valiant even this last month has covers from some incredible talent that it took VEI years to find or groom.
Agreed. Staff, talent, publishers, distribution, systems, income, the list goes on. Imagine just the sheer distraction of having to create a company and all the decisions that need to be made. I’ve been there. It’s not easy. DMG received a package, even if it did push out the founders.

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

Dmg is equivalent to Acclaim imo. Both resulted in my quitting Valiant.
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

VEI was never perfect. DMG has been an unmitigated disaster.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:53:39 pm The poll question is a little lopsided in that VEI had the advantage of rebooting the line after many years of absence so there was a high anticipation factor.

DMG took over after the newness had worn off and everyone was in a "what have you done for me lately" mindset.

I was open-minded and optimistic -- but some of the initial DMG writers just crashed. Grevioux's Bloodshot broke me, and the first six issues of Livewire were boring as they tried to recover her character from the HW2 debacle. I stopped reading for a while. I did read The Forgotten Queen and liked it, but my reading habit had fallen into disrepair. The first few issues of Psi-Lords didn't help.

I still buy everything in anticipation of catching up... but I must admit that just tonight I was wondering why I'm buying comics I don't read. I should probably make some time to start reading again, I heard that Fallen World was pretty good.
I'm behind in reading too. I was just catching up by reading trades, but it looks like they're not going to be collecting everything in trades. It seems with Bloodshot Rising Spirit there was never a plan to collect those, but recently I received a notification from DCBS that the Psi-Lords collections had been cancelled by the publisher as well.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

kjjohanson wrote:
jmatt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:53:39 pm The poll question is a little lopsided in that VEI had the advantage of rebooting the line after many years of absence so there was a high anticipation factor.

I'm behind in reading too. I was just catching up by reading trades, but it looks like they're not going to be collecting everything in trades. It seems with Bloodshot Rising Spirit there was never a plan to collect those, but recently I received a notification from DCBS that the Psi-Lords collections had been cancelled by the publisher as well.
That’s bad news. Trades are a major source of continued revenue streaming in. If they feel like they can’t sell those—even a Bloodshot trade with a MOVIE coming out....yikes.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I couldn’t vote because Divinity was left off the list, and the Trilogy+Eternity was the best continuing series under the old regime. Plus, some of the books (Incursion) under DMG, I feel like fall under the old regime. IDK :|
#StayValiant

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

agent_graves wrote:I couldn’t vote because Divinity was left off the list, and the Trilogy+Eternity was the best continuing series under the old regime. Plus, some of the books (Incursion) under DMG, I feel like fall under the old regime. IDK :|
Divinity wasn’t in the first 2 years, which is what the OP was comparing to the 2 years of DMG.

Incursion was mostly VEI. LADOTH was all VEI.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Apples and oranges: a stupid poll.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

It’s the same fruit. Just a different vendor.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Okay, same fruit. Then this poll is comparing a fruit during spring time to the very same fruit in winter time, when it's already consumed or rotting away on a field somewhere.

Dinesh, Warren, and co. had have 1 year for preparation before they finally launched and rebooted the pre-existing Valiant Universe step by step.

Illidge and Meyers didn't have that luxury and Meyers probably doesn't have the same financial support either.

--------------------------------

Nobody's going to say the current books are of the same (much less better) quality than the books from 2012-13.

There's no need for an honest poll.

Not even Dan Mintz would click on the second option....if he had read any of the comic books in question.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:45:49 am Okay, same fruit. Then this poll is comparing a fruit during spring time to the very same fruit in winter time, when it's already consumed or rotting away on a field somewhere.

Dinesh, Warren, and co. had have 1 year for preparation before they finally launched and rebooted the pre-existing Valiant Universe step by step.

Illidge and Meyers didn't have that luxury and Meyers probably doesn't have the same financial support either.

--------------------------------

Nobody's going to say the current books are of the same (much less better) quality than the books from 2012-13.

There's no need for an honest poll.

Not even Dan Mintz would click on the second option....if he had read any of the comic books in question.
1 Dinesh and Warren also had to build an entire company, tone, universe, creator stable which was then handed to DMG

2 if you think Dan Mintz wouldn't pick the second option then you havent seen the cringe inducing interview he did or the cringe inducing video valiant just put out where they say the books are better than they ever were and take credit for the bloodshot movie.

my poll is based on the fact that valiant is out there saying they are better now and im curious if thats propaganda or if its just me

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Is there continuity left in the Valiant books?

Is there any continuity left at least between the 2012 series and the DMG books? I've got quite a few (not all) of the Deluxe editions through maybe FCBD X-O (with the yellow cover) but after that, nothing.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:53:39 pmI still buy everything in anticipation of catching up... but I must admit that just tonight I was wondering why I'm buying comics I don't read. I should probably make some time to start reading again, I heard that Fallen World was pretty good.
I would recommend Fallen World. :thumb:

I promised myself a long time ago that I wouldn't buy comics on auto-pilot like that anymore [I totally used to do it too, so I can relate!]. I feel no need to have piles of things around the house that cost money and don't get a second glance [or even a first glance], especially when there are so many other things I feel passion for collecting & actively enjoying, and have to store somewheres :)

VEI was not perfect every time, but they had a very high ratio of quality comics published. The very best stuff that VMG has put out to date has mostly had at least a vestigial tie to the original crew. Not nearly as much high quality there overall, but not all garbage either.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

IMJ wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35:35 pm Is there continuity left in the Valiant books?

Is there any continuity left at least between the 2012 series and the DMG books? I've got quite a few (not all) of the Deluxe editions through maybe FCBD X-O (with the yellow cover) but after that, nothing.
Yes, there is continuity, but there have been a few books like the recent Bloodshot which is sort of a soft reboot (or at least relook). Honestly though, a reboot of Livewire would probably do the character some good.

There seems to be a desire at Valiant now to give these characters a refresh. I think it's not only unnecessary, but also unwarranted. It's not like these are 30 year old characters updated for an adult audience. These are characters that are just a few years old already made for an adult audience, with X-O the only title withe more than 30 issues.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Obviously VEI. If this was a boxing contest the ref would have stepped in to stop any further punishment.

Similar to what Dinesh is doing now with Bad Idea, VEI went from zero to mostly fantastic books together with a special buzz about the company. This wasn’t accidental. Dinesh selected the right editors and in turn assembled a great set of creators. In contrast DMG selected poor editors in illedge and Meyers who in turn selected mostly mediocre creators.

XO, Incursion and LADOTH I’d consider VEI books. It’s possible Meyers has learned a lesson from the disaster that was 2019, but only time will tell. The Bloodshot books have been disastrous in the run up to the movie. We can only wonder what Dinesh would have done with the books and in particular Bloodshot during the last 12 months, maximising on the hype the film will bring.

nwoslave
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nwoslave »

i didnt vote because both had their hits and misses with me. i gave bloodshot, LADOTH, roku, killers, incursion and punk mambo all a chance. ill just say so far DMG, which one could view that as shorthand for damage, has been pretty forgettable with LADOTH being the exception.

currently im only reading Rai and Bloodshot with no plans to add any future books to my hold. Ill just wait until they are in the dollar bin to be honest.

i will give props to DMG for bringing in some well known writers for those titles.