Too many Variant - CGC 9.8 1:50 Variant sells for $20.50

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

I have always thought Valiant put out too many inventive covers (and lets not even start about retailer covers) and I time went on people would forget/not care about most of them. There are over 975 retailer incentive covers.

That said as many of you know I have been putting together a collection of 1:50 (and above) variants in CGC 9.8 so I have been keeping a close eye on prices.

I have though prices have been soft for a while not but not like what I saw today.

Ninjak 4 1:50 Ryp closed at $20.50 (I bought mine less than 6 months ago off the Boards for either $150 or $200 :!: )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valiant-NINJA- ... SwUrxeGqmU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Divinity II #4 1:20 closed for $6.50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valiant-DIVINI ... SwRsJeGqtO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the market really falling out of VEI back issues except those incentive variants from the 2020 books which continue to do well.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Too many Variant - CGC 9.8 1:50 Variant sells for $20.50

Post by nycjadie »

I bought those two, lol! Bargains and trade bait for later.

I also suspect you were bidder on the record seeking prices of today. It only takes a few of us to set the market for these things. It’s incredibly soft right now - Valiant. I see a glut of pre-Unity. If I had to hazard a guess, after the movie releases, there will be an initial frenzy followed by a drop in prices that we have t seen in some time.

I still think the VEI books will be alright, but only because there are a few of us out there collecting them, and so few on the market at high grade.

As an aside, I’ve been watching Valiant slabs for about 8 years. There have never been more available on eBay than right now.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

nycjadie wrote: I also suspect you were bidder on the record seeking prices of today.
Not an insult, I am sure. I too have placed silly money on a few books that I have not seen for sale since. And there is always the possibility that they will turn up again. With the exception that next time, my crazy bid won’t be there and the very same book will be had for a fraction of the cost. That Unity 6 might be one of those really tough books.

And it’s also a great idea to stock up on these books now as was mentioned on the previous post, IMO. I tried with the Ninja-K at $20. In fact, I lowballed every one of these books today, so it follows that I won not one. Yep, I was $5.00 on Divinity II 4 Lotay, because I’ve got multiple gradable copies sitting here, and that’s the cost plus ship that could have beaten the cost to submit one myself.