Is Valiant jinxed?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Is Valiant jinxed?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Hear me out on this!

So I received the latest issue of Bloodshot #5 which had the front cover advertisement for the release date of the upcoming Vin Diesel Bloodshot movie ...and I thought, the release of this film has come at the exact moment of a creative low for Valiant. Aside from Rising Spirit, this latest Bloodshot is the weakest series the character has had since 2012. With the advertisement of the movie potentially attracting new readers, would this book be anyone’s choice for a new reader to be introduced to Valiant?

2 other key jinxed moments in Valiant’s history...

Valiant at a creative and commercial high under Jim Shooter, actually challenging Marvel and DC until he gets ousted and Valiant begins the slow death until they get sold to Acclaim.

Dinesh is building new VEI, slowly but surely, producing (mostly) great books and making deals to grow the company in different media. Incredible energy and attracting top talent like Lemire, Venditti, Larosa, Dysart, Clay Mann etc.....and then DMG oust Dinesh and the company nose dives.

‘Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory’

syzhang28
Re: Is Valiant jinxed?

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Hear me out on this!

So I received the latest issue of Bloodshot #5 which had the front cover advertisement for the release date of the upcoming Vin Diesel Bloodshot movie ...and I thought, the release of this film has come at the exact moment of a creative low for Valiant. Aside from Rising Spirit, this latest Bloodshot is the weakest series the character has had since 2012. With the advertisement of the movie potentially attracting new readers, would this book be anyone’s choice for a new reader to be introduced to Valiant?

Valiant at a creative and commercial high under Jim Shooter, actually challenging Marvel and DC until he gets ousted and Valiant begins the slow death until they get sold to Acclaim.

Dinesh is building new VEI, slowly but surely, producing (mostly) great books and making deals to grow the company in different media. Incredible energy and attracting top talent like Lemire, Venditti, Larosa, Dysart, Clay Mann etc.....and then DMG oust Dinesh and the company nose dives.

I was thinking about this too and I completely agree. I think there is no coincidence that they movie looks good with Dinesh heading that up and publishing looks so bad without him there but looked great when he was there. I think DMG inadvertently pulled out the nuclear engine at the heart of valiant that powered the submarine when they ousted Dinesh

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Hear me out on this!

I was thinking about this too and I completely agree. I think there is no coincidence that they movie looks good with Dinesh heading that up and publishing looks so bad without him there but looked great when he was there. I think DMG inadvertently pulled out the nuclear engine at the heart of valiant that powered the submarine when they ousted Dinesh
Yeah, I wonder why he couldn’t have stayed on as Chief Creative Officer? I seem to remember people saying it was because it was easier for DMG to take the company in a different direction without his influence. Not working out well so far.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

syzhang28 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
...and the company nose dives.

... I think DMG inadvertently pulled out the nuclear engine at the heart of valiant that powered the submarine when they ousted Dinesh
Oops

But as a more useful contribution, I'd point out that the Comics market collapse of that mid 90s was a major stroke of bad luck. It has a different flavor because it wasn't entirely a misstep but has the flair of a natural disaster mixed with unwitting negligence. But I wasn't around and don't know too much. What I've read is that tons of people held a grudge against Valiant (which wasn't very fair, but very human nonetheless)
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

It's pretty telling that ALL (or at least nearly all) the advertising for Bloodshot trades is around the Swierczynski run on the book.

Although if someone bought a Seeley/Booth issue, I doubt they'd be induced into pumping money into an "old" trade.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote:It's pretty telling that ALL (or at least nearly all) the advertising for Bloodshot trades is around the Swierczynski run on the book.

Although if someone bought a Seeley/Booth issue, I doubt they'd be induced into pumping money into an "old" trade.
I think the swierczynski run might be the best, better than Lemire’s. But yes, very telling that they advertise that book. Why can’t we have him back on Bloodshot? :?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:It's pretty telling that ALL (or at least nearly all) the advertising for Bloodshot trades is around the Swierczynski run on the book.

I think the swierczynski run might be the best, better than Lemire’s. But yes, very telling that they advertise that book. Why can’t we have him back on Bloodshot? :?
I was never sure why he left the book in the first place. He laid some seeds for Harby Wars in his last arc, and then there was the HW issues, but it seemed like he was mailing it in a bit by then. The first 2 arcs were pretty great though.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

Man, I loved that first volume of Bloodshot. Up until H.A.R.D. corps happened. That was when I fell off. Didn't come back until Lemire.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:07:46 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

I was never sure why he left the book in the first place. He laid some seeds for Harby Wars in his last arc, and then there was the HW issues, but it seemed like he was mailing it in a bit by then. The first 2 arcs were pretty great though.
I haven’t thought about this in a long while so I could be very wrong, but it seems to me that Swierczynski leaving the title kind of coincided with some personal matter in his life at the time - maybe a death in his family or something along that line?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

EDIT - I spent twenty minutes writing and editing. Posted, edited. Then realized I don't care enough to even post anything of merit. So. Deleted.
Last edited by IMJ on Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:18:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Heyyyyy Grendel’s back! :high-five:

I think swierczynski’s tragedy happened not that long ago, the last 2 -3 years I thought? What are your thoughts on current Bloodshot it has your reading fallen behind? When are you back on VCR?

Speaking of VCR, where’s Chris?!

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

IIRC he left to go write X for Dark Horse.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:13:49 am Heyyyyy Grendel’s back! :high-five:

I think swierczynski’s tragedy happened not that long ago, the last 2 -3 years I thought? What are your thoughts on current Bloodshot it has your reading fallen behind? When are you back on VCR?

Speaking of VCR, where’s Chris?!
Oh yeah, I think it was his daughter that died recently-ish...? She might have been ill as far back as when he left Bloodshot, but I honestly don’t recall for sure anymore.

I am behind in reading Valiant books, but I did read the first issue of the most recent edition of Bloodshot. I used to be a fan of Bret Booths art back in the day, but I’m not sure if I’m into it so much anymore.

It’s not too likely that I’ll be back on VCR anytime soon, but I’ll never say never - it could happen again someday!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

His daughter died last year. She was sick the year before. I think his leaving Bloodshot had nothing to do with that. I still love Bretts work. I for sure believe that Valiant is jinxed. If it goes down this time I am afraid it’s down for the count.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Another thing to add to the ‘is Valiant jinxed’ theory....just as the first ever Valiant movie is released Coronavirus hits! :o spoooky

And even worse, Heather Antos is promoted to senior editor :P

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
And even worse, Heather Antos is promoted to senior editor :P
Damn that's funny!

reddog
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: chu chuck
Favorite title: solar
Favorite writer: shooter
Favorite artist: lapham

Post by reddog »

when valiant fired shooter, an old woman named elephant gently cursed them. i dont think its ever been lifted.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

DMG -> China -> Corona -> facepalm

:lol:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Yes. I am now convinced. Feel bad for Dinesh, Warren, Hunter, Shooter, Layton etc. They all did great work and worked hard but it does seem like Valiant is cursed

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Cursed

Yes

Just too many things happen at certain times, it's like someone out there making sure Nothing falls into place at the right time

The Bloodshot Movie opens during the Pandemic of Coronavirus

The weekend is the worst on record since a low week in September 2000 with theaters nationwide only allowing 50% capacity

I feel that most theater chains will begin closing across the county with no new releases on the horizon

The only positive (not one i'm grasping) I think this will ensure Bloodshot will become a Cult Classic film on the same level of something like Dredd (2012)

Yes

Cursed

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

betterthanezra wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:40:49 pm The weekend is the worst on record since a low week in September 2000 with theaters nationwide only allowing 50% capacity

I feel that most theater chains will begin closing across the county with no new releases on the horizon
September 2000 or 2001?

Here in Germany it was 50% capacity for about 5 days. As of today, all theaters have been completely shut down.

No more gatherings of any type.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

All this talk about Valiant being cursed, but the real question is whether Dan Mintz/DMG is cursed. This all just feels like the universe giving him a huge middle finger for *SQUEE* up Valiant. Karma, bit*h.

buff-beardo
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

Curses don’t exist imo. That would take away free will. No point in anything if everything is preset.
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.