Valiant & Diversity: No-Holds-Barred Discussion!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Have your say here and keep the other threads free of now-tedious arguament on the topic.

Biting and gouging allowed.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Shadowman99
Re: Valiant & Diversity: No-Holds-Barred Discussion!

Post by Shadowman99 »

Just and simply for the purpose of getting this ball rolling:

Valiant comics have gone down the pan because they've replaced all their good creatives with a bunch of queers and ethnics.

Who agrees, who doesn't, and why?

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Shadowman99 wrote:Just and simply for the purpose of getting this ball rolling:

Valiant comics have gone down the pan because they've replaced all their good creatives with a bunch of queers and ethnics.

Who agrees, who doesn't, and why?
As I have stated before, they went and hired ARTISTS. IN NEW YORK CITY. Consider me surprised they hired colorful people .
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Shadowman99 wrote:Valiant comics have gone down the pan because they've replaced all their good creatives with a bunch of queers and ethnics.[/color]
I don't think that sentence nor what it implies is true. However, the virtue-signaling egos erupting from people who vilify any dissenting opinions is a problem.

1. You have loudmouth creator "m" doing a job that is completely ridiculous to begin with. You write comic books dude or sweetheart. Congratulations. They project that their "station" is going to allow them to save the world by their parameters of social justice. Against a readership that has likely been socially just their whole lives who don't like this agenda. Creator "m" calls people "misogynists" and "racists".

2. I question their real motivations. I believe many people who take this platform are self-aggrandizing and not actually altruistic. They are full of *SQUEE*. That's how I view most of what the modern left is nowadays. Full of *SQUEE* and taking actions for private reasons that differ from their spoken claims.

Comic book creators acting like they are going to "fix it" when in fact these fixes have unfolded across decades already. Back when someone more modest and realistic said "I included that because I thought we could show some representation and it would be good for everyone". But creator "m" use this as a marketing ploy with Tweeting loudmouths. Creator "m" doubles down, getting louder while the market share declines to print runs of 8k or less. Aside from a few outliers, this generation's current creative cohort couldn't win me back even if they "modest up". I see what they are about, I see what's in their hearts, what they are really pushing. I'm done.

To the hangers on who are like these people? Flinging opinions without actual knowledge, education or modesty? Standing on a platform to elevate yourself? You need to learn what negative information is. All you see around you are the 100 like-minded muppets. Start looking at all of the empty space instead.

All that empty space is ironic though, isn't it? Because you're so inclusive.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I don't know if Valiant sought out "diversity" or if Valiant started making a crappy product that was blamed on "diversity." Which came first? The chicken or the egg? It's the wrong question because the answer is usually the rooster.

I know my kids respond really well to seeing heroes who look like them and absolutely loved the hell out of Miles Morales in the Spiderverse movie this past year. I think that sort of storytelling should be encouraged. [Here's a challenge: pull up Netflix kids and find me shows that feature non-white kids as the leading characters. There aren't many.]

I don't know if a creator has to look and reproduce the same as their characters in order to be a good artist/writer. Some would say it's a requirement, but that seems ludicrous. I doubt it hurts though.

I think Obama has one of the better takes on woke culture: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/us/p ... lture.html

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

I think we need KJJ and Dallowspicer to weigh in here :lol:

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

Valiant under VEI was already diverse in output, albeit not necessarily in writing talent. Nobody cared about Livewire becoming black (though I do recall some people being upset that Jack Boniface was now half white). As things moved along they did become more colorful and queer people started popping up. It was all fun.

Then Gen Zero happened and people started complaining about the hipsterization of Valiant. I thought the book was fun, myself. And now I tire of seeing people fight about diversity. Diversity and quality aren't mutually exclusive. Having black writers and lesbian artists and female editors isn't killing comics. And having similar people on the page isn't killing comics. You can complain about the quality of the product without blaming it on skin colour and sexuality.

Diversity is not the problem. *goes back to lurking*
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Very well stated. You are younger than the average participant here, giving you a unique and valued voice.

armlessphelan

Post by armlessphelan »

AnarchoMambo wrote:Very well stated. You are younger than the average participant here, giving you a unique and valued voice.
I love that I'm in my 30s and still considered young. Thanks for the morale boost!
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

John Petrie is back with Valiant. Wonderful man. Please chime in if you think he's a "diversity hire"...so I know who the *SQUEE* are.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

GammaJosh wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:45:27 pm John Petrie is back with Valiant. Wonderful man. Please chime in if you think he's a "diversity hire"...so I know who the *SQUEE* are.
Peetree sounds like a Frenchy fella. We fought a whole war trying to keep them out, and they're here anyway? This is AMERICA.

But I have a funny observation. In the modern rush to codify non-binary sexualities and genders, did you ever notice they've completely ignored the Tri-Sexuals? It's never on any open-minded list
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?