GitCorp Bloodshot Collection

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: GitCorp Bloodshot Collection

Post by IMJ »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:09:53 pm I remember this, and we did talk about it on the FB page a little bit. Mainly though, it didn't affect many people. That, and it warned others to stay away. This went down how long ago? Several months, right?
The cancellation of the $90 collection went down in December, but the shipments of the Bloodshot discs that I'm going on about just happened in the last few days.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I used Google Street View to find the address for GITCorp's office, and it appears to be run out of someone's home.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

kjjohanson wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:59:53 pm I used Google Street View to find the address for GITCorp's office, and it appears to be run out of someone's home.
It has sales of probably less than 500 units last year. I’d be concerned if they were in an office.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

kjjohanson wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:59:53 pm I used Google Street View to find the address for GITCorp's office, and it appears to be run out of someone's home.
The original releases from years back were so good. In some cases, it was clear that they were doing quality scans of lower condition back issues, but nothing that interfered with reading them. The GIT Corp boxes I have in the picture on page one are great and sell pretty strongly on the secondary market.

These new releases will have no legs unless they are sealed and new. And even then I can't see anyone being interested because of the obstructive DRM, the ridiculous activation process, and the fact that when this company goes under, your digital comics are done for.

FYI, I emailed "them" earlier today to activate my disc. Curious to see how this is going to go.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

So after activation you get a series of downloads (you read that right... a series of them) including a license keyed to your name (WTF? These are comic books, dude), some reader program that I've never heard of from the friggin' UK, I don't even know what half this crap is. This is so ridiculous I can't stand it. I'm just following the process at this point simply to make sure that it is as outlandish as I thought, and it is.

I just installed a bunch of useless *SQUEE* on my computer for the once in a blue moon I'll read an old friggin Valiant digital book. And if I lose the license or delete a file then it's over.

I'll never buy a GIT Corp product again. I'll never buy a digital Valiant book EVER again. And I'm going to go to the ends of the Earth to explain all of this at every convention I go to and any forum I'm on when it comes up. Let that f'n "company" die. For all I know, half of this *SQUEE* I just downloaded has malware hidden in it. Next thing, GIT Corp is going to ask for your SS# as part of your product key so that you can, once in a blue moon, open up your useless, keyed to your name through 2 different license numbers, allowable on a mere two devices, through 30 file folders and some ambiguous unknown reader program download, Bloodshot books from 30 years ago.

I emailed this guy at GIT Corp with your sort of typical, confused business email - the "What is all of this? What is this? What is that? This is nonsense, what is this?" I'd ask for my money back on both sets I ordered, but I don't trust that to go well. What a *SQUEE* show.

If anyone did order these and haven't gotten them yet, I'd encourage you to cancel your order and never look back if you can. I'll never pay for a digital comic ever again. Never. And I'm going to explain this accurately to anyone even considering buying a GIT Corp DVD - there's no need for exaggeration, there's so much BS here I can't stand it.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Try and get these on an iPAd.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:47:22 am Try and get these on an iPAd.
I'm reading my books from the VEI collection on an iPad.

Owlwarrior
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Bloodshot

Post by Owlwarrior »

I’m a newer reader of Bloodshot (decided to check it out with the movie coming up) after purchasing the recent humble bundle. I read them on my Amazon Fire and they are great. I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered the Bloodshot digital comics collection from GitCorp. The feedback here is disappointing but for $20 figured I’d take that punt and see for myself.
It hasn’t arrived yet. Btw, what sort of packaging does it come in? A DVD case or software box?

Mk
Btw, what

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Owlwarrior wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:29:48 pm I’m a newer reader of Bloodshot (decided to check it out with the movie coming up) after purchasing the recent humble bundle. I read them on my Amazon Fire and they are great. I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered the Bloodshot digital comics collection from GitCorp. The feedback here is disappointing but for $20 figured I’d take that punt and see for myself.
It hasn’t arrived yet. Btw, what sort of packaging does it come in? A DVD case or software box?

Mk
Btw, what
Welcome to the boards!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Owlwarrior wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:29:48 pm I’m a newer reader of Bloodshot (decided to check it out with the movie coming up) after purchasing the recent humble bundle. I read them on my Amazon Fire and they are great. I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered the Bloodshot digital comics collection from GitCorp. The feedback here is disappointing but for $20 figured I’d take that punt and see for myself.

Mk
Btw, what
Welcome! The packaging is pretty nice. It is slightly smaller than a DVD case and sports a nice USB drive with the Valiant logo. The software is the frustrating part.

Great to have a new member!

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:09:53 pm I remember this, and we did talk about it on the FB page a little bit. Mainly though, it didn't affect many people. That, and it warned others to stay away. This went down how long ago? Several months, right?
I got mine in the mail two weeks ago. i've got a lot more to add, but right now I'm working on a method to convert all of these files on the disc to PDF. I am so disappointed because my excitement was based on the old DVD's that simply contained PDF files. NO more, no less.

But the hoops you have to jump through even to conform to this lunacy just to see the files on the disc are so outlandish that it's almost as if the intention was to sell you the DVD and then discourage your use of it. Seriously.

Owlwarrior

Post by Owlwarrior »

IMJ wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:55:51 pm
I got mine in the mail two weeks ago. i've got a lot more to add, but right now I'm working on a method to convert all of these files on the disc to PDF. I am so disappointed because my excitement was based on the old DVD's that simply contained PDF files. NO more, no less.
I tried PMing you but can't. Sounds interesting. Please keep us posted of your results.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Owlwarrior wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:44:12 am
IMJ wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:55:51 pm
I tried PMing you but can't. Sounds interesting. Please keep us posted of your results.
I will definitely keep Valiant fans posted so that they don't have to buy a GIT Corp release ever again.

Owlwarrior

Post by Owlwarrior »

I finally got my hands on the Bloodshot Gitcorp software.

I feel like I have been handed a locked briefcase and told there are a complete run of comic books inside.
The catch : only way to read them is I must enter a locked room and can only read what’s inside the room. I’m told I can’t share the comics with anyone. As soon as I enter the locked room, I must wait 24 hours for someone else to give me the combination to open the briefcase. Once that person arrives and the briefcase is opened, there are comic books galore inside but the spine of the comics run width ways (ie horizontally across the top) instead of length ways and they unfold like a fold out credit card wallet or a map. This is the only way to read them. The content is great but the way to read them isn’t.
This is the best analogy I can give of Gitcorp Bloodshot Collection.
They say that any review of any product, including software, is defined by your experience of that particular product.
That said my experience was just Ok as I knew for the most part what I was in for.
The Bloodshot Gitcorp DVD arrived in the mail yesterday at 11 am. I immediately emailed Gitcorp with the serial number on the DVD case. I got the standard typo letter everyone else did and was also a bit perplexed that the DVD in the red case was a Verbatim DVD-R with an inkjet printer label over it. Surely Gitcorp could have paid a replication company to print these actual discs?
No big deal.
By 9 am today Locklizard emailed me the licensing file from Gitcorp and I was reading away. Or so I thought.
I installed the Locklizard software on two devices : my Microsoft Surface and also my Amazon Fire Android tablet. The files open easily but the navigation of the Locklizard software is terrible.
In fact, most of my grievances with this product don’t come from Gitcorp but from my reading experience on the Locklizard viewing software. I like to read my digital comics by tapping the edge of the page, not swiping. I use comiXology a fair bit and also Comiccat to read my Bloodshot Humble Bundle. Both allow you to tap to go to the next page. Locklizard doesn’t allow this on their Windows or Android Software. On my MS Surface, the touch wasn’t registered in full screen mode if you even can get full screen mode. Some of the .PDC files open and run horizontal in their navigation instead of vertically. You have to scroll down, not across. Full Screen mode in Android somewhat works, but again you have to swipe to turn the page, not tap. This doesn’t feel relaxed at all like turning the page of a book. It’s like I’m dragging the page halfway across the screen to get to the next. If I don’t, it will go back to the previous page.
How was anyone’s reading experience that used this software on an Apple iPad?

And No, I couldn’t print the files to a PDF printer to convert them to PDF. Trust me. I already tried. The printer option is simply blanked out. Anyone else tried this? Let me know. I could use the Windows Snip and Sketch tool however to take a screenshot.

The DVD case (despite its minor typos) looks nice on the shelf but I’ll probably use it to burn my humble bundle Bloodshot .CBZ files to disc and house them in that.
Would I go for one of the larger complete run Gitcorp Valiant collections? Probably not. I’d think about going for the individual character collections they have coming out in the future , but only if Locklizard updated their software for a better reading experience, better features and better usability.

The bottom line : I knew I was in for some security restrictions but didn’t realise that reading the PDC files on Locklizard viewer would be so difficult and not a good experience. I don’t regret buying this collection though as $20 is not much to pay for a complete run of a comic in locked down digital form. I can say that I now legally own digital copies of these issues. If you can overcome the reading experience I described then go for it.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Locklizard sucks, it has sucked for years and will likely always suck. I will never buy a product with locklizard again and it has been years since I have (looking at you Overstreet price guide).