BAD IDEA

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
Re: BAD IDEA

Post by FormerReader »

I’m in.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

AnarchoMambo wrote:
slack wrote: Sorry, but I'm not gonna convince myself it's great before I know what it really is.
Some of the names dropped with Bad Ideas (so far)

Dinesh
Simons
Lemire
Kindt
Dysart
Larosa

Anyone I missed? Regardless, I have an idea that this is going to be good:)
DirtbagSailor wrote:I'm 120% down for this. :thumb:
FormerReader wrote:I’m in.
+1 :thumb:
#StayValiant

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

So they are starting a new comics company?

If i were them i'd call it Valorous Comics and lead off with a character called Y-Z Manobattle. Then maybe follow that with Shademan, Bowman & Stronglimb, and Heralds.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

FormerReader wrote:I’m in.
Im definitely intrigued, but need more than a teaser, for sure!

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

syzhang28 wrote:
My dude WHAT are you talking about? Dinesh waited 7 or 8 years before publishing a monthly comic and 10 or 11 years before DMG were involved. His reputation is quality and PATIENCE. You understand you are literally saying the poster child for slow and steady was not slow enough facepalm
Well, I'm talking about the ACTUAL publishing. It doesn't matter how long he had the rights... there was no fanbase generating money, or interest, until they started publishing. So... they were talking about and pushing for movies and TV too soon into the actual publishing. They were wanting to make a shared cinematic universe BEFORE they had a truly established shared universe in the original medium of comics. You understand that I was LITERALLY not saying what you claim I was saying, and that you were just putting words in my mouth.

So... I'm interested to hear more about their plans, but I'm not automatically positive that its gonna be amazeballs.
Last edited by slack on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:42:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slack
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

kjjohanson wrote: From what I remember, Ales Kot had a pitch for a Valiant book, but Warren wasn't sure whether he'd be a good fit for Valiant, so he let him write a mini (which one can easily ignore, or pretend is not in continuity) to see if he had a good handle on Valiant's characters. The results would suggest he wasn't. I think Simons's solution to the tryout was a good one.
I think a better solution would have been to read it first, and notice that it was tripe... and then not publish tripe.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I think the North Korea Sony hack in 2014 really screwed up the intended agenda.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Sorry, but this idea that DMG “stole” VALIANT out from under Dino is just ridiculous. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Dino and everything he did to bring VALIANT back, but the “Nerd Boss” needs to takes the blame here.

Dino et al took DMGs venture capitalist money, betting on themselves that they could make that money back through TV and film. They couldn’t do it in time and DMG took what was owed to them—whatever the reasons may be, they couldn’t do it—they bet on themselves and they lost. Sorry nanny-boo-boo club with your inside info and secret iPads, but based on every bit of public (and some non public) information I read, that’s the baseline for what happened.

If Dino takes all the connections he made over the years developing VEI and comes up with a new comic imprint, I will be excited and more than willing to support it while DMG continues to run VALIANT into the ground.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

"You've ruined my hopes and dreams..."

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

michalward
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by michalward »

y'all had me at LaRosa

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

michalward wrote:y'all had me at LaRosa
:headbang: 8-)
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

slack wrote: Wrong. They didn't even wait five years before they were working on getting movies made. They took DMG money after 3 years or less of publishing. It was that RUSH to get movies in the works that got DMG involved in the first place. Had they waited longer and built a bigger fan base of of new readers, they might still be publishing Valiant comics, and we wouldn't have to worry about a disconnected film universe for a few more years.
This seems a little unfair. I think we can all agree that during the first few years of VEI they were publishing some of the best comics in the industry. But publishing was almost certainly still losing money. All of publishing was described to me as a "loss leader" by someone inside and high up. The whole gambit of VEI had to be predicated on getting multi-media projects off the ground. There was no way they were going to pay the highest page rates in the industry and maintain a full staff in a NYC office and make money on publishing, unless they happened to get a Saga or Walking Dead level fluke hit with huge circulation, and probably not even then. VEI was an IP farm from the beginning as far as any investors were concerned. The money to buy all that IP didn't come from people who just wanted to make comics. Props to Dinesh and team for making sure the comics were great, but that doesn't really affect the economics of the situation. They needed investors, and that required taking a risk with control of the company. I'm just sorry it worked out the way it did.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

slack wrote: Well, I'm talking about the ACTUAL publishing. It doesn't matter how long he had the rights... there was no fanbase generating money, or interest, until they started publishing.
Do you think the books were doing well enough that there was a meaningful fanbase generating money and interest after they started publishing? Because I think publishing was never making money and the fanbase never expanded beyond the 40 and 50 year old fans who were just there for '90s nostalgia. No offense. I agree the comics were great, but I never saw any success in bringing in more/new/younger fans except maybe when Faith got a little buzz for a hot minute.

The fan base seemed big and vibrant to us, from the inside, but I really don't think it was large enough to justify continuing publishing those comics at that level of quality forever. I think a lot of people are massively overestimating the importance of the comics sales & comics fan base in the overall economic picture for VEI. Operations had to be in the red, burning investor money every second, and the clock was ticking. It's simple math. Add up the salaries of office staff, page rates for the creatives, and office rent in NYC, and subtract the most VEI could possibly have been making back off publishing given the numbers we have and extrapolating from there. There's just no way it wasn't losing money. I'm sure it still is too.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

BugsySig wrote:Sorry, but this idea that DMG “stole” VALIANT out from under Dino is just ridiculous. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Dino and everything he did to bring VALIANT back, but the “Nerd Boss” needs to takes the blame here.

Dino et al took DMGs venture capitalist money, betting on themselves that they could make that money back through TV and film. They couldn’t do it in time and DMG took what was owed to them—whatever the reasons may be, they couldn’t do it—they bet on themselves and they lost. Sorry nanny-boo-boo club with your inside info and secret iPads, but based on every bit of public (and some non public) information I read, that’s the baseline for what happened.

If Dino takes all the connections he made over the years developing VEI and comes up with a new comic imprint, I will be excited and more than willing to support it while DMG continues to run VALIANT into the ground.
I think you don't know anywhere NEAR the details of what actually happened, and while you are free to make any assumptions you want, free country, just know that you are off the mark by a mile. Just because someone is not telling the whole story because they are a bigger person than the petty *SQUEE* who took over, does not mean the story is not there. That's all I will say.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

BugsySig wrote:Sorry, but this idea that DMG “stole” VALIANT out from under Dino is just ridiculous. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Dino and everything he did to bring VALIANT back, but the “Nerd Boss” needs to takes the blame here.

I get a very different impression reading the news that's out there. DMG were an investor that had a small piece of the company for their investment. Once Dinesh and company reached a certain level of success (maybe the Bloodshot movie starting?) DMG bought the other investors and forced Dinesh out. From what I've read there was no race to payback DMG as there was no loan but rather an investment. It was ego (Mintz wanted to run the movies) through capitalism (using DMG money to buy the ability from the other investors to push Dinesh out when Dinesh wanted to keep building) fueled by short sighted greed (the other investors taking the money from DMG rather than continuing until Valiant attained it's final form).

paradise
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

There is even MORE to it
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

slack wrote:
kjjohanson wrote: From what I remember, Ales Kot had a pitch for a Valiant book, but Warren wasn't sure whether he'd be a good fit for Valiant, so he let him write a mini (which one can easily ignore, or pretend is not in continuity) to see if he had a good handle on Valiant's characters. The results would suggest he wasn't. I think Simons's solution to the tryout was a good one.
I think a better solution would have been to read it first, and notice that it was tripe... and then not publish tripe.
:thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

leonmallett wrote:
slack wrote:
:thumb:
What if Warren thought it WAS good? :o :lol: :kidaround:

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Sounds like this will be something interesting and worth following. As another non-social media user, please keep us updated on this board with news about this project as and when it occurs :)
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Definitely onboard. :thumb: :hope:

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield ... :p0ume.7.2

Hivemind.....by Project Nerd Boss LLC :lol:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield ... p0ume.11.2

Bad Idea.....by Cincinnati Kid LLC :clap:

Interesting choice! #SHOOTER

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

I have a bad idea:

What if they worked out a way to buy the rights to the Gold Key characters?

That would be good.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

AnarchoMambo wrote:I have a bad idea:

What if they worked out a way to buy the rights to the Gold Key characters?

That would be good.
That's what I was thinking... what if "bad idea" refers to Dinesh and company actually working with Dynamite on the Gold Key characters? I don't think it's a "bad idea" for them to go after the Gold Key characters... but the "bad idea" part would be working with Dynamite. :lol:

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Please god don't let it be the Gold Key characters. I fully expect Dinesh and crew to offer up some fresh ideas. It would really be a shame to see them try to go backwards and trade on nostalgia. Besides, in 2019 the whole concept of Magnus Robot Fighter is preposterous. The idea that A.I. and robotics in the future will take the form of big punchable anthropomorphic robots is laughable now. Let the past be the past.