ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Official Calendar |
It is currently Sep 21, 2019 7:28:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:24:20 am 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma

Valiant fan since: 1992
Kothari's exit from Valiant was very mysterious and is long forgotten. He and Dinesh Shamdasani bought the rights to Valiant and worked together for many years to bring Valiant back and eventually relaunch comics in 2012. Strangely, right as they launched Jason Kothari stepped down with Dinesh taking on his duties. Strange timing as things were just starting to happen. Jason disappeared for a couple of years and then reemerged as CEO of something called Housing.com in India, which turned into another mess. Why isn't he involved at Valiant in any way despite all the success? And why did things take so long for Valiant Entertainment in the beginning.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
  Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:14:21 am 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!

Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Hi,

Welcome to the board.

Honestly, I don't know if anyone knows why he left Valiant in 2013.

There are a number of reasons that are possible:
A difference of opinion in terms of direction for the company.
Better opportunities elsewhere.
He possibly had a timed contract in regards to his position as CEO.
He failed to meet expectations and goals set by other members of the Valiant Entertainment Board.
and finally...He could have been pushed out by The Cuneo's.

If Dino (or someone with more knowledge than myself) is still lurking around the board, maybe they can enlighten the board.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:14:52 am 
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi

I've asked Dinesh at conventions a few times and he politely avoids answering. No one else from Valiant is saying either but they also don't have any love for him. I think the answer is in your question. "then reemerged as CEO of something called Housing.com in India, which turned into another mess. "

Here's the only article I've ever been able to find that doesn't read like a press release about what Jason Kothari did after Valiant. I believe he has since gone on to make a mess of at least one other company since this article:

http://allthingsvaliant.blogspot.com/20 ... s-not.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39:57 am 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma

Yes. I was quoting that article. And also, from personal experience in the corporate space here, I've seen his incompetency first hand and lack of leadership skills. While having a sociopathic knack of blaming everyone else for his shortcomings.

What has shocked me though in all this is how he's rampantly used his experience at Valiant to get jobs here, taking credit for a lot of Shamdasani's work, bad mouthing him every opportunity he gets, and trying to make his role and impact at Valiant seem way bigger than it was.

I wonder why no one has called him out on his lies and coverups, or exposed who he really is.

All in all, a thorough con job.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43:00 am 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma

As for all the articles on him reading like press releases, that's all he's been doing in India. Covering up for his incompetency by aggressively hiring PR agencies to "rebrand his image".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:20:59 pm 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma

Bump.

Anyone else know more on the matter?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:45:48 am 
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.

Favorite character: Kris
emitremmusneves wrote:
Bump.

Anyone else know more on the matter?

When we interviewed Dino for the OTV podcast, Jason's exit from VEI was one of very few topics - and may have been the only topic? - that he asked us not to bring up. I was left with the impression that Dino felt regret over the situation but never heard anymore said about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:49:59 am 
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.

Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
I do not have insider knowledge, but I will guess (for whatever that's worth, possibly nothing)...

Jason Kothari and Dinesh Shamdasani grew up together (as best friends(?)), but when they got to college, Dinesh went to USC film school and Jason went to Wharton Business at UPenn... opposite sides of the country.

So, having the opportunity to buy an entertainment company (Valiant) and work together was exciting for both of them, but for different reasons... creative (Dinesh) and business (Jason).

After a few years of Valiant work, primarily planning, legal, etc., it seems entirely possible that Jason was just ready to move on to another business challenge. Dinesh, being in it for the creative challenge, wasn't going anywhere.

I'm sure there are a million thoughts and feelings that go with that amount of time and work, but (again, just guessing) I'd say it might be as simple as Jason wanted business opportunities that he wasn't getting at Valiant.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48:49 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

That's as good an explanation as any. Sounds plausible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:54:37 am 
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?

Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
jmatt wrote:

Yeah sounds good but that's not the reason.

-Brian

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip

My Valiant story here

http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:31:18 am 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma

Isn't it strange it's such a secret and mystery?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:26:09 am 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.

Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Toyo Harada
People have falling outs all the time, and with business and marriage, it can be really personal, and the stories behind them are often times not that interesting, nor anyone's business really.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:17:39 am 
I do embrace my inner geekdom

Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
nycjadie wrote:
People have falling outs all the time, and with business and marriage, it can be really personal, and the stories behind them are often times not that interesting, nor anyone's business really.

this

:thumb:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:30:23 pm 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma

nycjadie wrote:

I agree completely. But in this case, he's bad mouthed Dino (whom I really look up to) a lot, which is not right. And Dino, on the other hand, has maintained his dignity and respected everyone's privacy on the matter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:05:18 pm 

Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
emitremmusneves wrote:
nycjadie wrote:

I agree completely. But in this case, he's bad mouthed Dino (whom I really look up to) a lot, which is not right. And Dino, on the other hand, has maintained his dignity and respected everyone's privacy on the matter.

That alone might be enough to show who is the better man... :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:18:41 pm 
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)

Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
The truth is quite simple. Jason was upset that Warren and Dinesh wouldn’t bring back the X-O bike. So he left. :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:41:45 am 

greg wrote:
I do not have insider knowledge, but I will guess (for whatever that's worth, possibly nothing)...

Jason Kothari and Dinesh Shamdasani grew up together (as best friends(?)), but when they got to college, Dinesh went to USC film school and Jason went to Wharton Business at UPenn... opposite sides of the country.

So, having the opportunity to buy an entertainment company (Valiant) and work together was exciting for both of them, but for different reasons... creative (Dinesh) and business (Jason).

After a few years of Valiant work, primarily planning, legal, etc., it seems entirely possible that Jason was just ready to move on to another business challenge. Dinesh, being in it for the creative challenge, wasn't going anywhere.

I'm sure there are a million thoughts and feelings that go with that amount of time and work, but (again, just guessing) I'd say it might be as simple as Jason wanted business opportunities that he wasn't getting at Valiant.

If this was true i dont think everybody would be keeping quiet. not to mention the article about his dealings in india and the OP who seems to feel he was bad at his job also. it must have been ugly or embarrassing for Jason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:54:45 pm 

I personally have no knowledge of why, but I can say from personal experience, starting a business together with a friend can and often is a horrible idea. The problem is when creative differences emerge, different goals/agendas, financial responsibility in terms of spending, different views on how to best run the company, etc collide, it often leaves that friendship in tatters and dysfunction in the company. It also can run the other way that if for some reason a friendship sours for non-business reasons, now you have that toxicity in the business also.

For me personally, I was happy and ready to move on when someone offered me a significant profit from what I paid to start my business. The only part that irks me to this day is my ex-friend I started the business with has re-branded all of it as his idea, his vision, etc. He basically stole my intellectual ideas and successful management that made the company profitable and everyone now believes he's the reason it exists. Frustrating, especially when the business only launched because I fronted the money in the first place...He didn't have two nickles to rub together.

Point being, I'm sure several of the ideas people mentioned in this post, if not the full truth, ring close to some of the things that transpired and it was time for Jason to go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26:43 am 
Where are you now?
Where are you now?

Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord
betterthanezra wrote:
jmatt wrote:

-Brian

Some of us know why. Unfortunately it is private business between the owners (shareholders), Dinesh, and Jason, from some time ago. It would be inappropriate to comment publicly on this IMHO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:48:00 pm 

Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
wrunow wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:
jmatt wrote:

-Brian

Some of us know why. Unfortunately it is private business between the owners (shareholders), Dinesh, and Jason, from some time ago. It would be inappropriate to comment publicly on this IMHO.

That’s why it will stay private

-Brian

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip

My Valiant story here

http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:42:26 pm 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma

Anyone else finds it strange/sad that Dinesh and co. have remained silent on the matter and respected its privacy, while Jason has done the exact opposite. As I'd mentioned before, it's shocking to hear the story he spins on Dinesh.

This isn't fair.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41:11 pm 

emitremmusneves wrote:
Anyone else finds it strange/sad that Dinesh and co. have remained silent on the matter and respected its privacy, while Jason has done the exact opposite. As I'd mentioned before, it's shocking to hear the story he spins on Dinesh.

This isn't fair.

Dino is being the bigger man, for whatever reason. Maybe he doesn't want to talk about it? Maybe he doesn't want to be known in the business as a guy who talks bad about previous colleagues? The silence says more than the slander to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:11:45 pm 

Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
Chiclo wrote:
emitremmusneves wrote:

This isn't fair.

Dino is being the bigger man, for whatever reason. Maybe he doesn't want to talk about it? Maybe he doesn't want to be known in the business as a guy who talks bad about previous colleagues? The silence says more than the slander to me.

In my personal experience Dinesh has always chosen his words carefully so as to never talk bad about anyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:25:26 am 

Aram wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
emitremmusneves wrote:

This isn't fair.

In my personal experience Dinesh has always chosen his words carefully so as to never talk bad about anyone.

He would not say *SQUEE* had he a mouthful.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:36:16 pm 
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Aram wrote:
The truth is quite simple. Jason was upset that Warren and Dinesh wouldn’t bring back the X-O bike. So he left. :?

I'm pretty sure this is the reason. Has to be.

Offline Profile