EXCLUSIVE: Ninjak Villain Roku Returns For First Solo Series

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

EXCLUSIVE: Ninjak Villain Roku Returns For First Solo Series This Fall
https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-roku-solo ... this-fall/

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ninjak Villain Roku Returns For First Solo Se

Post by greg »

It doesn't mention how many issues, so I just put the first 3 on the one-pager:
http://valiant101.com/valiant2012to2020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumb:

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

the real question is....will it allow me to stream netflix, hulu, and prime... personally i like apple tv better

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Bad puns are true villainy, but oh so sweet
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

greg

Post by greg »

valiantdude wrote:the real question is....will it allow me to stream netflix, hulu, and prime... personally i like apple tv better
You had a good joke going until you mentioned preferring an Apple product. Then the joke turned against you. :lol:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote:
valiantdude wrote:the real question is....will it allow me to stream netflix, hulu, and prime... personally i like apple tv better
You had a good joke going until you mentioned preferring an Apple product. Then the joke turned against you. :lol:
It made the joke downright unkillable and I hate him for it. :(

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Livewire vs Roku would be an interesting confrontation, but Livewire could just shut her down, right?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Year of the villain:
Toro
Livewire
Warmonger
Roku

greg

Post by greg »

kjjohanson wrote:Livewire vs Roku would be an interesting confrontation, but Livewire could just shut her down, right?
Are you talking about the Roku television adapter? Because Roku the Valiant character isn't electronic. :lol:

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Not really feeling the art/direction. The redesign looks terrible, IMO. She is barely an established character why redesign her costume? I like Roku as a character but this is a hard pass. Another female b-lister? I wonder if there will ever be another book that gets me excited about Valiant again?

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Love that Cullen Bunn gets another mini. But I’m not too keen on those interiors either. They look a bit too Marvel to me, and maybe that’s not great for a crime/espionage book. But in my opinion the cover looks fantastic!

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Interesting. I'll give it a go.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I have lots of thoughts.
1. Roku is awesome.
2. Roku's superpower is awesome.
3. The cover is pretentious and lame. ...and needs more red.
4. I don't mind the interiors, but I agree with AnarchoMambo. It looks a little 'Marvel.'
5. Cullen Bunn seems promising.
6. I'm going to wait to see if Punk Mambo can stick the landing before getting excited for this.
7. Another B-lister female mini-series? Give me a break. What about Shadowman, Rai, Divinity, Ninjak, Gilad, Savage, and Secret Weapons! At this point, I would be more interested in a no-name like Red Legend. Valiant needs to build a stable roster of A-list characters that fans can expect to read about (almost) every month out of the year. People with zero experience with Valiant need to be able to identify a Valiant book without having to think about it. Some random character's name isn't going to get anyone's attention. Without a feeling of forward movement, it feels like Valiant is floundering. Maybe the new X-O and Bloodshot will help in this regard.
kinggirlfriend wrote:Not really feeling the art/direction. The redesign looks terrible, IMO. She is barely an established character why redesign her costume? I like Roku as a character but this is a hard pass. Another female b-lister? I wonder if there will ever be another book that gets me excited about Valiant again?
I was coming in here expecting to see this comment made by Dallow Spicer1 :lol:

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

TheFerg714 wrote:I have lots of thoughts.
1. Roku is awesome.
4. I don't mind the interiors, but I agree with AnarchoMambo. It looks a little 'Marvel.'
6. I'm going to wait to see if Punk Mambo can stick the landing before getting excited for this.
7. Another B-lister female mini-series? Give me a break. What about Shadowman, Rai, Divinity, Ninjak, Gilad, Savage, and Secret Weapons! At this point, I would be more interested in a no-name like Red Legend. Valiant needs to build a stable roster of A-list characters that fans can expect to read about (almost) every month out of the year. People with zero experience with Valiant need to be able to identify a Valiant book without having to think about it. Some random character's name isn't going to get anyone's attention. Without a feeling of forward movement, it feels like Valiant is floundering. Maybe the new X-O and Bloodshot will help in this regard.
kinggirlfriend wrote:Not really feeling the art/direction. The redesign looks terrible, IMO. She is barely an established character why redesign her costume? I like Roku as a character but this is a hard pass. Another female b-lister? I wonder if there will ever be another book that gets me excited about Valiant again?
LOL :lol:

We are mostly complaining about the same stuff. I think the difference is I don't see it as some Machiavellian attempt to push an agenda. I think it's worse than that. I think the people in charge have poor taste and aren't talented. They don't understand the characters/universe or what makes it so special. They're just playing with action figures. Bashing 'em together without thought or care. They aren't storytellers with a vision.

The lack of titles for all their main characters is bizarre and confounding. It's like going to McDonalds and they're out of everything but ketchup packets and apple slices.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

With the Killers mini and now Roku plus the new Bloodshot I'm slowly getting excited for Valiant again. :thumb:

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

kinggirlfriend wrote: We are mostly complaining about the same stuff. I think the difference is I don't see it as some Machiavellian attempt to push an agenda. I think it's worse than that. I think the people in charge have poor taste and aren't talented.
Well I definitely wouldn't use the word Machiavellian, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the higher-ups at Valiant tend to like to hire their friends who tend to have a certain political bent, like Ayala, Visaggio, and Clay Moore. Maybe 'agenda' isn't the right word, but I think having the right political beliefs might help you get hired at Valiant.
That said, your idea is far scarier and more likely. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt throughout the rest of 2019, but X-O and Bloodshot have some serious weight that's about to fall on their shoulders. Livewire and Psi-Lords can't prop up the entire line themselves.
They don't understand the characters/universe or what makes it so special. They're just playing with action figures. Bashing 'em together without thought or care. They aren't storytellers with a vision.
While I have been generally positive about 2019 Valiant, I think you're spot on.
The lack of titles for all their main characters is bizarre and confounding. It's like going to McDonalds and they're out of everything but ketchup packets and apple slices.
What the *SQUEE* could be going through their heads right now? How could you possibly think it's a good idea to publish a Warmonger book?

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Livewire is a villian now? Or merely a overly enthusiastic misunderstood heroic antagonist? I'm still in the middle of Armor Hunters and I wasn't expecting that
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

AnarchoMambo
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

I think you only get so many chances to reboot before the new #1s lose their luster. So if I’m a new executive editor, I’m quite content to move on from BRS and make an early announcement for Tim Seeley on Bloodshot, and wait for the Paul Levitz submission for the Harbinger-related title while fulfilling the Dysart masterplan. I really hope the new XO pans out, but that’s a more untested writer.

So biding your time with newer Valiant characters is not a bad way to get your legs under you before you get to the flagship properties. Totally understandable that some of us might feel a little impatient with this strategy, but to me it sounds like a good way to flesh out the universe, and make the little mistakes with Warmonger & Dr Mirage before you screw the pooch with the biggies. Certainly I would not want to do crossover events for the time being until faith has been restored. Hence the shared universe feeling somewhat disconnected.

Contrast this with the last editorial team: bragged about high sales for Bloodshot Rising Spirit (perhaps the last Valiant book some new readers will ever pick up) and were making easily-preventable editorial mistakes with Livewire.

I think the previews for Bloodshot and Roku look promising. Bloodshot, in a back-to-the-basics kind of way, and I appreciate Seeley’s take on the character in interviews. I wish Bunn would be writing more horror & weird stuff for Valiant, but that’s what is required of him from other publishers, so he probably agreed to a Roku deal with Valiant to expand his palate a bit (I’m hoping they eventually give him Shadowman!) Matt Kindt did mostly weird stuff & spy books, remember, before joining Valiant. But he really seemed to hit his stride with crossing over into cosmic work like Divinity & Eternity, and I thought his XO was awesome until the plot-necessities of HW2 interrupted the flow of that book.

So I guess we’ll just have to see!

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:I have lots of thoughts.
1. Roku is awesome.
LOL :lol:

We are mostly complaining about the same stuff. I think the difference is I don't see it as some Machiavellian attempt to push an agenda. I think it's worse than that. I think the people in charge have poor taste and aren't talented. They don't understand the characters/universe or what makes it so special. They're just playing with action figures. Bashing 'em together without thought or care. They aren't storytellers with a vision.

:lol: you beat me to it! :clap: Although at least Cullen Bunn is a ‘name’ although he’s not blowing me away with Punk Mambo. In the build up to the biggest moment in Valiant’s existence, the upcoming Bloodshot movie, couldn’t they have used his talents on the new Bloodshot series. Let’s try this wacky formula out...known writer + known artist + A list character :o

As for Machiavellian, I think in this instance it’s just an out of touch editorial team (and as Chris said on a recent VCR) chasing a perceived crowd that doesn’t buy comics :? Honestly was anyone asking for a a Roku mini? What’s the business model here?!?

We seem to be scraping the barrel with concepts to launch new series with, how about the new people in charge create brand new characters we can get excited for?

BUT, if Aubrey Sitterson writes a book in the future for Valiant then all bets are off with the ‘we give jobs to our friends we agree with politically’ theory.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: I was coming in here expecting to see this comment made by Dallow Spicer1 :lol:
I’m just saying what we’re all thinking, and you did too as soon as you saw the news! :P :lol:

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

:(

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote: I was coming in here expecting to see this comment made by Dallow Spicer1 :lol:
I’m just saying what we’re all thinking, and you did too as soon as you saw the news! :P :lol:
Agreed! It's kinda hard to deny at this point. :(

The VCR episode summed it up best when they brought up the SoS cover with him running on two legs. facepalm

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
I’m just saying what we’re all thinking
Yeah, maybe don't conclude that everyone comes to the same conclusions that you do.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

mramsterdam

Post by mramsterdam »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Yeah, maybe don't conclude that everyone comes to the same conclusions that you do.
I agree with KJ,until i read it myself.Practically everybody was in love with Roku until Valiant changed hands,now it sucks.Would have rather seen Savage again.This is the last new series announced until next year though right?The FVL hate sounds more like i hate everything Dmg to me. :roll:
I-Only judge porn by the cover.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
I think you’re in denial, on some level you know I’ve got a point. :P