VALIANT APRIL 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

100 Punk Mambo 1* Valiant 18,733... That’s a solid number for her, should be about 20K before the 10% hit. Also, another Top 100 #1 :clap:

209 X-O Manowar 26 Valiant 6,795

217 Bloodshot Rising Spirit 6 Valiant 6,234... Slight uptick in sales (565 copies)

232 Life & Death of Toyo Harada 2 Valiant 5,683... Shocked! :o (-17K)

241 Incursion 3 Valiant 5,157

252 Forgotten Queen 3 Valiant 4,851

254 Livewire 5 Valiant 4,759... :cry:

301 Life & Death of Toyo Harada 1 Valiant 3,473... This is positive! :clap: It helps boost those final numbers for #1, but should’ve also helped #2’s numbers. Weird! Re-orders after all are based off reader interest. :hm:

369 X-O Manowar 1 Dollar Debut Valiant 2,049

370 Divinity 1 Dollar Debut Valiant 2,040... Seen one of these marked up already! Was mad and happy at the same time because my shop didn’t order any. :lol: facepalm
#StayValiant

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: VALIANT APRIL 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES

Post by magnus20009 »

Those are pretty good numbers for Punk Mambo #1 which is great. What is unfortunate is the massive differential between #1 issues and #2 issues means we are likely stuck for multiple mini-series and launches. It would be interesting how many of the sales are people buying multiple different covers.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

The big drop seems to be a pretty big sign that incentives do really help sales.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

kjjohanson wrote:The big drop seems to be a pretty big sign that incentives do really help sales.
Or at least on number 1 issues. It doesn't look like all the 1:50 incentive covers did anything for X-O, Shadowman, Quantum & Woody, et al regular issue sales last year. Also it would be good to break out from the sales what the total number of store based/band covers were as they were significant numbers too.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Man I honestly thought Harada would do better, specifically because the fanbase is so energized about it. I guess we don't account for very much of the actual sales. :?

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

APRIL 2019 AVERAGE SALES PER TITLE BY VALIANT

Titles Published: 10

Units Sold: 59,774

Avg Sales Per Title: 5,977 :clap:

TOP AVG SALES PER TITLE BY COMPANY

1 DC... (21,726)
2 MARVEL... (19,675)
3 IMAGE... (7,890)
4 BOOM.. (6,913)
5 VALIANT... (5,977)

5th out of 38 Publishers! :clap:
#StayValiant

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

agent_graves wrote:APRIL 2019 AVERAGE SALES PER TITLE BY VALIANT

Titles Published: 10

Units Sold: 59,774

Avg Sales Per Title: 5,977 :clap:

TOP AVG SALES PER TITLE BY COMPANY

1 DC... (21,726)
2 MARVEL... (19,675)
3 IMAGE... (7,890)
4 BOOM.. (6,913)
5 VALIANT... (5,977)

5th out of 38 Publishers! :clap:
It is a very different comic book market than the one I grew up with. If you look at where Valiant/Acclaim started cancelling titles, the numbers were higher than these in many cases.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

kjjohanson wrote:The big drop seems to be a pretty big sign that incentives do really help sales.
I think that is a correct assessment.

But I also believe that Valiant is correct to move towards the use of incentives sparingly.

All ran-doh issues having a 1:50 eventually alienates collector fans because it is not a sustainable practice, and those ultra-fans may “give up” & stop buying everything.

Having once monthly #1s with premium 1:100 & higher incentives also allows a focused marketing scheme on that month’s #1 title, with all attention on the new title and any excitement that metal, glass, or flocked covers can generate from our share of reader buzz.

Pre-order titles prolong that initial hype and excitement by sustaining sales for a longer time for a minority of sales (10% ? of NUMBER ONE sales extended out, for 12 issues in the case of Psi-Lords!)

#2 issues sales will drop tremendously, creating a supplemental collector market for the quality or unique covers.

A good indicator for a title to last might be in the stability or even growth of sales between #2 & #3 (#3 orders due after issue #1 drops) or even better in any sales boost for issues #4 or #5 (new arc? new characters?) This would represent sustained or new readership for a quality new title. This would be a grand thing, as readers then continue the hype on a title that is no longer the officially-hyped #1, driving up the key sales per title metric, which it has been pointed out that Valiant finished in 5th place in this month!

Another good indicator might be the collector market developing for the more desirable covers of issue #2 & up. The latter would represent another way to assess demand on what are now under-printed #2s & up in the case of a sustained quality title!

Unfortunately, I think almost no title will go beyond 12 issues, and only a popular flagship title with a well-received creative team will get to 25. That’s okay in my book.

The only possible exception to this might be if there is one creative team on one flagship title becomes very popular and if that story continues to see sustained 10,000+ sales. I think this would only happen if there is a quality movie in support.

That’s too many “ifs.” So a monthly focus on new #1s, and 4-6 issue limited series, 12 issue “ongoings,” and 25 issue cornerstones are the rule for now.

I’m not complaining. I think it’s pretty cool, and allows development of all sorts of corners of the Valiant universe and following loose threads.

Some people have complained about all the loose ends begun by writers like Matt Kindt. I strongly disagree. Because some other slick writer might come up with a new idea for that loose thread, like the under-utilized bounty hunters or prequels for Ninja-G for instance. In this kind of market, we will be thankful that someone will have the opportunity to present that loose end in a flash new limited series.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Scandalous that Bloodshot Rising Spirit is higher in sales than LADOTH and Incursion, I can only guess this is down to name/brand recognition ie Bloodshot is more well known than Toyo Harada and ‘incursion’ doesn’t have any name recognition.

Be interesting to see if a ‘name’ writer like Bunn can sustain higher sales as Punk Mambo goes on?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

AnarchoMambo wrote:
I think that is a correct assessment.

But I also believe that Valiant is correct to move towards the use of incentives sparingly.

All ran-doh issues having a 1:50 eventually alienates collector fans because it is not a sustainable practice, and those ultra-fans may “give up” & stop buying everything.

Having once monthly #1s with premium 1:100 & higher incentives also allows a focused marketing scheme on that month’s #1 title, with all attention on the new title and any excitement that metal, glass, or flocked covers can generate from our share of reader buzz.

Pre-order titles prolong that initial hype and excitement by sustaining sales for a longer time for a minority of sales (10% ? of NUMBER ONE sales extended out, for 12 issues in the case of Psi-Lords!)

#2 issues sales will drop tremendously, creating a supplemental collector market for the quality or unique covers.

A good indicator for a title to last might be in the stability or even growth of sales between #2 & #3 (#3 orders due after issue #1 drops) or even better in any sales boost for issues #4 or #5 (new arc? new characters?) This would represent sustained or new readership for a quality new title. This would be a grand thing, as readers then continue the hype on a title that is no longer the officially-hyped #1, driving up the key sales per title metric, which it has been pointed out that Valiant finished in 5th place in this month!

Another good indicator might be the collector market developing for the more desirable covers of issue #2 & up. The latter would represent another way to assess demand on what are now under-printed #2s & up in the case of a sustained quality title!

Unfortunately, I think almost no title will go beyond 12 issues, and only a popular flagship title with a well-received creative team will get to 25. That’s okay in my book.

The only possible exception to this might be if there is one creative team on one flagship title becomes very popular and if that story continues to see sustained 10,000+ sales. I think this would only happen if there is a quality movie in support.

That’s too many “ifs.” So a monthly focus on new #1s, and 4-6 issue limited series, 12 issue “ongoings,” and 25 issue cornerstones are the rule for now.

I’m not complaining. I think it’s pretty cool, and allows development of all sorts of corners of the Valiant universe and following loose threads.

Some people have complained about all the loose ends begun by writers like Matt Kindt. I strongly disagree. Because some other slick writer might come up with a new idea for that loose thread, like the under-utilized bounty hunters or prequels for Ninja-G for instance. In this kind of market, we will be thankful that someone will have the opportunity to present that loose end in a flash new limited series.
My wallet certainly doesn't miss the incentives. Just an observation that they do seem to work in keeping the numbers up. I'm fine with being able to maintain a complete collection at a savings. And , as pointed out, the non-incentive issues are great for speculating.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

APRIL 2019 GRAPHIC NOVEL AND TRADE PAPERBACKS SALES

123 Livewire Vol. 1 Fugitive $9.99 Valiant 559

123 out of 500... Not to shabby! Trade sales might keep this going, at least 12 issues! :thumb:
#StayValiant

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

agent_graves wrote:APRIL 2019 GRAPHIC NOVEL AND TRADE PAPERBACKS SALES

123 out of 500... Not to shabby! Trade sales might keep this going, at least 12 issues! :thumb:
Is Valiant the only company that collects pretty much everything in a trade?

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

agent_graves wrote:217 Bloodshot Rising Spirit 6 Valiant 6,234... Slight uptick in sales (565 copies)

People suck, this is why we can't have nice things.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

hawkeyeps wrote:
agent_graves wrote:217 Bloodshot Rising Spirit 6 Valiant 6,234... Slight uptick in sales (565 copies)

:lol:

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

kjjohanson wrote:

It’s over 30+ publishers on that list!
FormerReader wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:

:lol:
:lol: :lol:
#StayValiant

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

agent_graves wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

Okay. The reason why I was asking is because I was wondering if Valiant readers lean towards trade-waiting, if they know everything is going to be collected.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

kjjohanson wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

Okay. The reason why I was asking is because I was wondering if Valiant readers lean towards trade-waiting, if they know everything is going to be collected.
Gotchu! :thumb:

Idk! You will always have fans that trade wait. And Valiant is such a small universe, output wise, they can trade wait everything if that’s the format they prefer.
#StayValiant

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I trade wait everything. The only single issues I have are some of the zero issues and one-shots that weren't collected. And, of course, Legends of the Geomancer. sigh.

The one thing I really love about Valiant is their cheaply priced trades. Especially pricing the first volumes at $9.99 similar to Image Comics. Places like instocktrades.com usually have them for under 7 bucks on week of release. It's hard to get angry at them prices. And it often pushes me to try out certain series I wasn't really feeling, like Faith and Q&W. The only books I regret purchasing were Dead Drop (and I was warned! But that third issue IS gold.), and Ninjak VS. I bought Dead Drop for three dollars and still felt ripped-off. I payed 6 dollars for Ninjak VS and it was the straw that broke my Valiant collecting back. Even for an out of continuity story I felt like the whole thing was incredibly cringy, subpar and dull.

So I've finally begun to taper off. I have zero interest in War-Monger, BS Rising Spirit, or Livewire. I'm going to wait and see with Punk Mambo. I like the character but if it's just 4 issues of her battling swamp monsters I will probably pass. I need something, more. And hearing you guys rave about Life and Death of Toyo while I wait for the trade is torture. And looking at the numbers for Toyo makes me sad. But I get it. It's not a simple story and not one you can just jump into. I wonder if Imperium and Toyo were simply titled Harbinger and numbered consecutively if they would have fared better? Some things are too smart and high concept to find an audience. Maybe over time more people will discover it.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:The only books I regret purchasing were Dead Drop (and I was warned! But that third issue IS gold.)
Dude yes! :lol:
and Ninjak VS. I bought Dead Drop for three dollars and still felt ripped-off. I payed 6 dollars for Ninjak VS and it was the straw that broke my Valiant collecting back. Even for an out of continuity story I felt like the whole thing was incredibly cringy, subpar and dull.
Ninjak vs. was one of the few series I've dropped from Valiant. Can't believe I even gave it 2 issues. I think I even ended up selling the second issue at Half-Price Books!
So I've finally begun to taper off. I have zero interest in War-Monger, BS Rising Spirit, or Livewire.
I feel this, but I really think you should give Livewire a shot. What is giving you apprehension?
I would also recommend the first issue of BRS. Taken as a one-shot, it's not awful and at has a certain charm to it. The rest sucks though.
And although I dropped War Monger after the first issue, I've been reading it online, and it's really not awful. That's not to say I recommend it, but it's definitely readable and definitely worth $5.
I'm going to wait and see with Punk Mambo. I like the character but if it's just 4 issues of her battling swamp monsters I will probably pass. I need something, more.
This is exactly what I'm worried about. It would be really easy to simply give her a few demons to battle. After the first issue, it looks like she's actually going to go through some things throughout the course of the mini. :hope:
And hearing you guys rave about Life and Death of Toyo while I wait for the trade is torture. And looking at the numbers for Toyo makes me sad. But I get it. It's not a simple story and not one you can just jump into. I wonder if Imperium and Toyo were simply titled Harbinger and numbered consecutively if they would have fared better? Some things are too smart and high concept to find an audience. Maybe over time more people will discover it.
That's actually a fascinating question... Maybe, if Harada #1 was actually Harbinger #40, people would have found the time to go back and fall in love with the first 39 issues. Probably wishful thinking.
Will you be reading Fallen World, Killers, or the X-O and Bloodshot relaunches later this year? I was really impressed with Fallen World #1.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

kinggirlfriend wrote:Some things are too smart and high concept to find an audience.
This! Sad, but true... facepalm
Maybe over time more people will discover it.
Maybe... :hope:
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:I trade wait everything. The only single issues I have are some of the zero issues and one-shots that weren't collected. And, of course, Legends of the Geomancer. sigh.

The one thing I really love about Valiant is their cheaply priced trades. Especially pricing the first volumes at $9.99 similar to Image Comics. Places like instocktrades.com usually have them for under 7 bucks on week of release. It's hard to get angry at them prices. And it often pushes me to try out certain series I wasn't really feeling, like Faith and Q&W. The only books I regret purchasing were Dead Drop (and I was warned! But that third issue IS gold.), and Ninjak VS. I bought Dead Drop for three dollars and still felt ripped-off. I payed 6 dollars for Ninjak VS and it was the straw that broke my Valiant collecting back. Even for an out of continuity story I felt like the whole thing was incredibly cringy, subpar and dull.

So I've finally begun to taper off. I have zero interest in War-Monger, BS Rising Spirit, or Livewire. I'm going to wait and see with Punk Mambo. I like the character but if it's just 4 issues of her battling swamp monsters I will probably pass. I need something, more. And hearing you guys rave about Life and Death of Toyo while I wait for the trade is torture. And looking at the numbers for Toyo makes me sad. But I get it. It's not a simple story and not one you can just jump into. I wonder if Imperium and Toyo were simply titled Harbinger and numbered consecutively if they would have fared better? Some things are too smart and high concept to find an audience. Maybe over time more people will discover it.
Get excited for Fallen World too :thumb:

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Yes! I am excited for Fallen World! Also Incursion and Life and Death of Toyo.

The upcoming X-O I'll have to wait and see. Same thing with Tim Seeley's Bloodshot, Killers and the recently announced Dr Mirage.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

For me, this mean that it is time for fans/collectors to double down on this book. While there are no incentive variants, there are multiple cover and it is possible that over time these become hard to obtain, at least in decent condition. I suspect by the time we get to LADOTH #6, the print run may well be in the 3-4K range, and while an example of a publishing tragedy (see also: Imperium), this is also an early warning to us to NOT wait to pick up these issues, or overlook them accidentally.
370 Divinity 1 Dollar Debut Valiant 2,040
This one is interesting. Different cover from other Divinity books (and also the previous One Dollar Debut), and with thin cover stock. I bought 25 copies, and submitted 3 to CGC (received 3x 9.8s).

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

TheFerg714 wrote:
So I've finally begun to taper off. I have zero interest in War-Monger, BS Rising Spirit, or Livewire.
I feel this, but I really think you should give Livewire a shot. What is giving you apprehension?
I guess it's because of the fallout of HW2. Ack, I guess I never got the trade for HW2 either, just read it all online (I do have a copy of the zero issue). It was so bad I wished they'd just ignore it. And I'm not really interested in reading 4 issues of them trying to course correct. I LOVE the character but the timing just killed it for me. Maybe eventually my curiosity will get me to pick it up.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
For me, this mean that it is time for fans/collectors to double down on this book. While there are no incentive variants, there are multiple cover and it is possible that over time these become hard to obtain, at least in decent condition. I suspect by the time we get to LADOTH #6, the print run may well be in the 3-4K range, and while an example of a publishing tragedy (see also: Imperium), this is also an early warning to us to NOT wait to pick up these issues, or overlook them accidentally.
370 Divinity 1 Dollar Debut Valiant 2,040
This one is interesting. Different cover from other Divinity books (and also the previous One Dollar Debut), and with thin cover stock. I bought 25 copies, and submitted 3 to CGC (received 3x 9.8s).
I’m thinking the same, to a certain degree. I’m currently getting pre-order editions, because I like the extra content, and it’s essentially, an incentive variant, with a different setup the way you obtain it. I think I’ll start picking up Mico’s “A” Covers as well. :thumb:

Congrats on those 9.8’s... :clap:
#StayValiant