Valiant: The Complete Digital Comic Book Collection

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Valiant: The Complete Digital Comic Book Collection

Post by nycjadie »

UPDATE 1: I can now access the books on my Mac and iPad. It took some work. Only problem, none of the titles are ordered, or able to be alphabetized. So, it's hunt and peck through nearly 600 titles to find that next issue.

UPDATE 2: I received an email yesterday that the have opened up pre-orders for Classic Valiant in the same package. January 1992 to June 2000. Sounds like V1 and Acclaim. $75. Super cheap, but SUPER FRUSTRATING experience for me. And with iPhone/iPad/Mac I'm guessing I'm pretty close to most typical users, but I have tech experience, so maybe a bit more than the average user.

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Jrosen »

nycjadie wrote:UPDATE 1: I can now access the books on my Mac and iPad. It took some work. Only problem, none of the titles are ordered, or able to be alphabetized. So, it's hunt and peck through nearly 600 titles to find that next issue.

UPDATE 2: I received an email yesterday that the have opened up pre-orders for Classic Valiant in the same package. January 1992 to June 2000. Sounds like V1 and Acclaim. $75. Super cheap, but SUPER FRUSTRATING experience for me. And with iPhone/iPad/Mac I'm guessing I'm pretty close to most typical users, but I have tech experience, so maybe a bit more than the average user.
It doesn't mention Solar, Magnus, or unity. It seems like it will be missing a lot if it doesn't include those titles

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I'm going to pass on the Classic Valiant because:

1. The VEI product had limitations that they didn't bother to advertise, and
2. I already have almost all of the original stuff digitally, and what I don't have digitally I have print copies of.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

So glad I passed on this product. Lock lizard should just shut down. It is terrible DRM software. I refuse to purchase anything that uses it.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I bought one.

Probably WON'T include the SOLAR/Magnus/Turok, but I am optimistic that they just can't include it on the advertising. Either way, it brings many digital comics into my collection.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I received this email. I'm not especially concerned about timing, but surprised that they encountered molding issues so late in the process. I think these were supposed to ship in May or June originally. I'm happy to get an additional license and film cards. I'll probably sell/trade the additional set.

Dear Valiant Platinum Customer,

We will need to push the date another 45 days to October 6th 2019. I will explain…..

In order to create what we call a FILMCARD, we are producing them in a way that the injection molding industry says cannot be done. The design is to produce the FILMCARD as one complete piece, meaning the film would need to be in the mold cavity when the acrylic clear plastic is injected into the mold (we are told it is impossible to do).

Well we are very close (2 weeks) to completion in a design that will set a new standard of injection molding in this industry. With final testing, production of the FILMCARDS and shipping our timeline to you the customer is approximately 45 days.

We have made an additional change to the product and decided to eliminate the plastic viewer, which would take an additional 45 days (since we cannot produce the viewer until the FILMCARD design is complete). As a replacement to the viewer, we are going to include an additional (12) FILMCARDS for a total of (24) FILMCARDS (this will include an additional FILMCARD image for each of the 12 Valiant Characters, 2 FILMCARDS per character). The actual additional value (price value) is all in the FILMCARDS, as the viewer is only worth about $3 USD and the FILMCARDS can easily be viewed by holding them up to light. We are also going to add an additional device user license to the set for a total of 3 device licenses.

You are more than welcome to receive a total refund, but urge you to be patient a little longer, as it will be worth the wait. The Valiant Platinum Collection has sold out, and with only 500 units made, it will fast become one of 2019’s hottest limited collection editions in the comic book industry. We are doing our best, to bring you the best.

Thanks

Support Team

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

:hm:

While it's very nice that they've doubled the number of filmcards for free, they've essentially killed the demand.

When only the people who shelled out the extra Platinum money could get the filmcards, and only one of each, then the demand can easily exceed the supply because there are probably other collectors who would want (just) the filmcards. The only way to get the cards would be to buy/break a full Platinum set. Not easy to do.

But...

If every buyer of the filmcards has a full extra set, it's very easy to break them up, and the filmcards will/should be very easy to pick up.
None of the original Platinum buyers must "break" anything to make (hundreds of sets of) filmcards available.

So... there's that.

(UNLESS the 2nd character card is NOT the same as the 1st. Then it's not two identical sets of 12 cards, but one set of 24 (different) cards. Then everything is fine again.) :lol:

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

This whole thing sounds like a giant cluster *SQUEE*
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

greg wrote: :hm:

While it's very nice that they've doubled the number of filmcards for free, they've essentially killed the demand.

When only the people who shelled out the money could get the filmcards, and only one of each, then the demand can easily exceed the supply because there are probably other collectors who would want the filmcards. The only way to get the cards would be to break a full Platinum set. Not easy to do.

But...

If every buyer of the filmcards has a full extra set, it's very easy to break them up, and the filmcards will/should be very easy to pick up.
None of the original Platinum buyers must "break" anything to make (hundreds of sets of) filmcards available.

So... there's that.

(UNLESS the 2nd character card is NOT the same as the 1st. Then it's not two identical sets of 12 cards, but one set of 24 (different) cards. Then everything is fine again.) :lol:
That was my thought exactly. It sounds like they are giving 500 customers an extra set of identical cards, without the viewer. So, instead of 500 sets, there will be 1000, thereby diluting the value of the cards. Honestly, if they gave out two sets and one viewer, the set wouldn't be complete without the viewer, and that would actually increase value.

They are also giving out additional licenses. I don't know what that means, but it could be another 2 additional keyfobs. If it's the keyfobs (which are pretty cool looking, especially with the packaging), then they are effectively *SQUEE* an additional 1000 sales, because let's be honest, we don't really need an additional 2 keyfobs, and we're just going to sell/trade them away.

At the end of the day, I'm not particularly concerned about it, but it hasn't been a good customer experience. That being said, after hours of frustration, I finally have the pdfs on my iPad and I'm very much enjoying rereading the VEI books start to finish. I'm probably about 100 issues in.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:
greg wrote: :hm:

When only the people who shelled out the money could get the filmcards, and only one of each, then the demand can easily exceed the supply because there are probably other collectors who would want the filmcards. The only way to get the cards would be to break a full Platinum set. Not easy to do.

But...

So... there's that.

That was my thought exactly. It sounds like they are giving 500 customers an extra set of identical cards, without the viewer. So, instead of 500 sets, there will be 1000, thereby diluting the value of the cards. Honestly, if they gave out two sets and one viewer, the set wouldn't be complete without the viewer, and that would actually increase value.

They are also giving out additional licenses. I don't know what that means, but it could be another 2 additional keyfobs. If it's the keyfobs (which are pretty cool looking, especially with the packaging), then they are effectively *SQUEE* an additional 1000 sales, because let's be honest, we don't really need an additional 2 keyfobs, and we're just going to sell/trade them away.

At the end of the day, I'm not particularly concerned about it, but it hasn't been a good customer experience. That being said, after hours of frustration, I finally have the pdfs on my iPad and I'm very much enjoying rereading the VEI books start to finish. I'm probably about 100 issues in.
I just want my X-O #1 reprint. That will be a pretty limited comic. The film cards will be a cool thing to have, but the comics are the priority for me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:I received this email. I'm not especially concerned about timing, but surprised that they encountered molding issues so late in the process. I think these were supposed to ship in May or June originally. I'm happy to get an additional license and film cards. I'll probably sell/trade the additional set.

We will need to push the date another 45 days to October 6th 2019. I will explain…..

In order to create what we call a FILMCARD, we are producing them in a way that the injection molding industry says cannot be done. The design is to produce the FILMCARD as one complete piece, meaning the film would need to be in the mold cavity when the acrylic clear plastic is injected into the mold (we are told it is impossible to do).

Well we are very close (2 weeks) to completion in a design that will set a new standard of injection molding in this industry. With final testing, production of the FILMCARDS and shipping our timeline to you the customer is approximately 45 days.

We have made an additional change to the product and decided to eliminate the plastic viewer, which would take an additional 45 days (since we cannot produce the viewer until the FILMCARD design is complete). As a replacement to the viewer, we are going to include an additional (12) FILMCARDS for a total of (24) FILMCARDS (this will include an additional FILMCARD image for each of the 12 Valiant Characters, 2 FILMCARDS per character). The actual additional value (price value) is all in the FILMCARDS, as the viewer is only worth about $3 USD and the FILMCARDS can easily be viewed by holding them up to light. We are also going to add an additional device user license to the set for a total of 3 device licenses.

You are more than welcome to receive a total refund, but urge you to be patient a little longer, as it will be worth the wait. The Valiant Platinum Collection has sold out, and with only 500 units made, it will fast become one of 2019’s hottest limited collection editions in the comic book industry. We are doing our best, to bring you the best.

Thanks

Support Team
We're now nearly a month past the revised ship date. Has anyone received this yet?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

kjjohanson wrote:
nycjadie wrote:I received this email. I'm not especially concerned about timing, but surprised that they encountered molding issues so late in the process. I think these were supposed to ship in May or June originally. I'm happy to get an additional license and film cards. I'll probably sell/trade the additional set.

Thanks

Support Team
We're now nearly a month past the revised ship date. Has anyone received this yet?
Actually just searched my email and found this:
Dear Valiant Platinum Customers,

We are still having some issues with the molding for the FILMCARDS as this is a very difficult mold build. I believe we should be shipping in approximately 4 weeks. I do not want to put an exact ship date time, but will keep you updated by email as the time gets closer to the 4 week time period.

I want to thank all our customers for their extreme patience, but assure you, the FILMCARDS in the product will be well worth the wait.

Thanks

Support Team

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Reminds me of what happened with No Man's Sky, if any of you are gamers. Rooster Teeth didn't ship the collectors set until about 5-6 months after the game was released, blaming it on the awesome things they were putting in the box.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

ckb wrote:Reminds me of what happened with No Man's Sky, if any of you are gamers. Rooster Teeth didn't ship the collectors set until about 5-6 months after the game was released, blaming it on the awesome things they were putting in the box.
And were there awesome things in the box?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Anyone get an update on this?

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

kjjohanson wrote:Anyone get an update on this?
Nope.
Since they went silent and have missed their last projection by nearly 3 weeks... I sent an email to them about it earlier tonight.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

slack wrote:
Nope.
Since they went silent and have missed their last projection by nearly 3 weeks... I sent an email to them about it earlier tonight.
Nothing, and I have not ordered the V1 set as I wanted to see how they managed this. I am now enjoying the VEI book digitally. I’ve reread about 1/3 on planes this year. That has been nice.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

slack wrote:
Nope.
My message to them:

"We're well past 4 weeks since this email was sent, but no follow up. Can we expect these by the end of the month? By Christmas? By next Christmas?"

slack
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

Look at this...

We are trying one more design modifications for the FILMCARD molding (the mold that create the FILMCARDS) this week. If we cannot successfully develop this design, we will use a prior design for the FILMCARD. This design will be almost identical to the design we are currently working on. Either way, we believe the product will be shipped in time for a Christmas delivery date.

We do apologize for all the delays we have had on this product, but we wanted to offer, you our customers the best product possible and thank you for all your patience and support.
Personally, I think it says quite a bit that they still are using indefinite terms: "trying", "if we cannot"... But they believe they can get it out in time for Xmas.

So far, we paid extra for apologies and excuses. Add that to the DRM and device issues, and you've got a company that will never get more of my money.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

This design will be almost identical to the design we are currently working on.
This is the statement that really got me.

kevinbastos
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Latest "update"

I am sorry to inform you that the Valiant Complete Digital Comic Book Collection – Platinum Edition has
been officially cancelled. After months of hard work and delays due to molding designs, it looks like the ability to produce this product will not be possible.

I like to thank all our customers for your patience in this situation and would like to offer you a special package that would include: Valiant Complete Digital Comic Book Collection, Valiant Classic Digital Comic Book Collection and the new Bloodshot Complete Digital Comic Book Collection….all three sets for the cost
of your $90.00 payment, a $155.00 value. This would be a saving of 40% of our retail price. Or we would be happy to refund the full cost of your order, the choice is yours.

I know most of you have one or two of these collections already, but the additional collections would make great gifts for a special Valiant fan friend or family member on your Christmas list.

Both the Valiant Complete Digital Comic Book Collection and Valiant Classic Comic Book Collection will be shipped the same day that you respond to this email and sent priority mail that would arrive before Christmas. Bloodshot Complete Digital Comic Book Collection will ship on the release date of Feb. 03, 2020 just in time for the Bloodshot movie release.

Thanks again for all your support and patience.

Support Team
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I opted for the refund, as I just recently ordered the classic edition.

I also asked them what happened to the special facsimile edition of X-O Manowar 1.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Woowwwwww....... to cancel the whole project? Especially from a company that has done this successfully in the past? I feel like a kickstarter or IndieGo project would have done better.... crazy.