Valiant: The Complete Digital Comic Book Collection

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Valiant: The Complete Digital Comic Book Collection

Post by Chiclo »

If we can't meet the economic challenge of printing periodicals on our own shores and keeping that one simple periodical within a dollar or two of printing them in China and shipping them across the Pacific, then what does that say about our capacity for production in this country? I mean seriously, we should not outsource the means of production of every last single thing and of all the industrial functions, the printing of periodicals or pamphlets seems like it should be rather straightforward, compared to something like building cars or iphones or sewing clothes. Doesn't that indicate that we are doing something wrong? That something needs to change?

How much of the retail cost of these comics is the actual printing? For a $3.99 comic, how much per unit actually goes to the printer?

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Chiclo wrote:If we can't meet the economic challenge of printing periodicals on our own shores and keeping that one simple periodical within a dollar or two of printing them in China and shipping them across the Pacific, then what does that say about our capacity for production in this country? I mean seriously, we should not outsource the means of production of every last single thing and of all the industrial functions, the printing of periodicals or pamphlets seems like it should be rather straightforward, compared to something like building cars or iphones or sewing clothes. Doesn't that indicate that we are doing something wrong? That something needs to change?

How much of the retail cost of these comics is the actual printing? For a $3.99 comic, how much per unit actually goes to the printer?
Nah. Not this at all.

We survive on innovation. To compete, we need to innovate. We can't expect to keep doing the same thing forever. We don't make clothes in the states, or almost anything else below that cost. Most food ships internationally, etc.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

kevinbastos wrote:We survive on innovation. To compete, we need to innovate.
Ironically, there's probably a huge global market for the production of carbon-capture technology once the innovation is discovered, but we're also the nation that doesn't believe in the need to discover it.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Received a notification that the item had shipped.

Looks it recorded my "fancy" upgrade order - and the other part will ship later? Hopefully?

I will let you know when/if I receive the first shipment.

KB
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, I'm right.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

The overseas printing, and really sending all manufacturing jobs overseas, began in the '80s under Reagan's laissez faire economics. They began deregulating corporations who then put their shareholders first above their own workers and above the consumers. They don't care about their own country, it's all profits first for the few. They don't care about the environment or the impact it has on the economy or the quality of their own product. It's all about how to make something the cheapest with the most profit going to a select few at the top.

And it's not going to change anytime soon. Especially when we have an orange b-hole in the white house who has zero understanding of economics and who's whole business model is about stealing as much as he can by screwing the worker/consumer.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

kevinbastos wrote:Received a notification that the item had shipped.

Looks it recorded my "fancy" upgrade order - and the other part will ship later? Hopefully?

KB
Since I'm in NYC and the company is based in NYC, I may receive it first (unless it's shipping from elsewhere). I'll chime in when I get mine as well.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Chiclo wrote:If we can't meet the economic challenge of printing periodicals on our own shores and keeping that one simple periodical within a dollar or two of printing them in China and shipping them across the Pacific, then what does that say about our capacity for production in this country? I mean seriously, we should not outsource the means of production of every last single thing and of all the industrial functions, the printing of periodicals or pamphlets seems like it should be rather straightforward, compared to something like building cars or iphones or sewing clothes. Doesn't that indicate that we are doing something wrong? That something needs to change?

Probably not a lot of the cover cost goes into the printing, but part of that is because labor is so cheap overseas. I doubt that printing locally would drive the cost up to $10, but it would certainly have to be more. Not saying that we shouldn't do it, just that it would be more. And it would be tough if a single company did it, as that would make their cover prices more than most of the competition.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Assuming that these drives are as good as I hope they're going to be, we need to get out there en masse as Valiant fans and push other (non-Valiant) comic readers to buy them. At about a dime an issue, this is going to be a really easy way for people to explore Valiant. Even if someone only ends up liking 10% of Valiant's output, that's still as cheap as $1/issue.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

kjjohanson wrote:

KB
Since I'm in NYC and the company is based in NYC, I may receive it first (unless it's shipping from elsewhere). I'll chime in when I get mine as well.
You should be first...

June 7, 2019 at 2:02 pm

Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

BROOKLYN, NY 11218

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

greg wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

KB
You should be first...

June 7, 2019 at 2:02 pm

Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

BROOKLYN, NY 11218
I'm going to be in Brooklyn this evening; I should swing by and pick it up :lol:

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Got mine today. A few quick things I noticed:

1. Valiant link here (http://valiantentertainment.com/2019/04 ... ollection/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) suggests it's a drive that plugs directly into an iPhone or iPad, but it doesn't. It's got a USB connector only, and the documentation indicates that USB-OTG cables have to be purchased separately. (I don't currently own one, and having to use a cable with this is going to be a bit of a pain.)
2. License allows you to read the comics on 2 devices. Each additional device costs half of MSRP. I don't recall seeing this limitation in the ads, so now I'm wondering if I should hold off on using this on my iPad, which is about 5 years old.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

kjjohanson wrote:Got mine today. A few quick things I noticed:

1. Valiant link here (http://valiantentertainment.com/2019/04 ... ollection/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) suggests it's a drive that plugs directly into an iPhone or iPad, but it doesn't. It's got a USB connector only, and the documentation indicates that USB-OTG cables have to be purchased separately. (I don't currently own one, and having to use a cable with this is going to be a bit of a pain.)
2. License allows you to read the comics on 2 devices. Each additional device costs half of MSRP. I don't recall seeing this limitation in the ads, so now I'm wondering if I should hold off on using this on my iPad, which is about 5 years old.
These bits of news are incredibly disappointing. First, I expected that I could move this from iPhone to iPad effortlessly. Second, I juggle regularly between 4 devices a day, and sometimes many more. I understand the need for DRM, but this is onerous for me to track what devices I use them on, plus, I regularly upgrade my devices. I would have preferred something like digital downloads, like in the Humble Bundle offering.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:

These bits of news are incredibly disappointing. First, I expected that I could move this from iPhone to iPad effortlessly. Second, I juggle regularly between 4 devices a day, and sometimes many more. I understand the need for DRM, but this is onerous for me to track what devices I use them on, plus, I regularly upgrade my devices. I would have preferred something like digital downloads, like in the Humble Bundle offering.
Agreed. I was planning on using my iPad for these since I can sit comfortably on my couch and read that, which I can't do with my laptop. But for now, I'm going to go with my laptop since it's not too old. One bonus is that since I ordered the premium package, the drive I just got is a bonus copy, so I can always expand later to other devices with the payments I've already made. I too understand the necessity for DRM, but they should allow you to deactivate an old device and activate a new one.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

kjjohanson wrote:
nycjadie wrote:

Agreed. I was planning on using my iPad for these since I can sit comfortably on my couch and read that, which I can't do with my laptop. But for now, I'm going to go with my laptop since it's not too old. One bonus is that since I ordered the premium package, the drive I just got is a bonus copy, so I can always expand later to other devices with the payments I've already made. I too understand the necessity for DRM, but they should allow you to deactivate an old device and activate a new one.
Such a great point. I also went Platinum. That will give a few more devices access. Thank you!

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Have mine. Anyone activated yet? Looking for the closing. And will wait on second device activation.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

kevinbastos wrote:Have mine. Anyone activated yet? Looking for the closing. And will wait on second device activation.
I sent off my email, but haven't received the device activation email in return yet. They say it can take up to 24 hours.

Someone over on Facebook posted that they received theirs though.

Also confirmed: No Legends of the Geomancer mini. No Harbinger Wars II #0.

And also appears to be missing Shadowman #0. :idontknow:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I despise DRM. Is there something preventing taking screenshots while viewing the comics? If not, then the DRM is broken if you devote the time to do that.

Just give me the digital files if I pay for them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

lorddunlow wrote:I despise DRM. Is there something preventing taking screenshots while viewing the comics? If not, then the DRM is broken if you devote the time to do that.

It's probably not worth the time you'd spend to take screen shots of the book and then recombine them into a format that works DRM-free, unless you don't value your time very much.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

kjjohanson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I despise DRM. Is there something preventing taking screenshots while viewing the comics? If not, then the DRM is broken if you devote the time to do that.

It's probably not worth the time you'd spend to take screen shots of the book and then recombine them into a format that works DRM-free, unless you don't value your time very much.
There would be a way to automate it, I'm sure.

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

This is exactly why I hate locklizard (as I mentioned a few posts previous). I had some content with locklizard on it. Was all fine and good until I upgraded my computer. I could never open the documents I paid for again. I did debate buying one of these sticks until I heard they used locklizard.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

kjjohanson wrote: Also confirmed: No Legends of the Geomancer mini. No Harbinger Wars II #0.
I did not buy this product but they should have included these. They could avoid ever reprinting them physically but might as well include them digitally. If someone wants a digital copy of those 5 books it really is not that hard to find them online from sources that are not concerned about IPR so might as well include them to paying customers.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

magnus20009 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote: Also confirmed: No Legends of the Geomancer mini. No Harbinger Wars II #0.
I did not buy this product but they should have included these. They could avoid ever reprinting them physically but might as well include them digitally. If someone wants a digital copy of those 5 books it really is not that hard to find them online from sources that are not concerned about IPR so might as well include them to paying customers.
I'm going to guess they haven't set them up for digital publication, so there would probably be more work involved there.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

The PDF reader is kind of a pain in the *SQUEE*. I generally use Simple Comic to read digitally, and it's easy to navigate with. Just use the arrow key to move on to the next page. But with this reader, you have to scroll, and there's no simple shortcut to view full page. You have to scale it to the right size before entering the full screen view.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Did you figure out how to do this? I'm like an hour in, and I ordered the extra cable for iOS devices (not in the advertising). I'm starting to lose it. Their detailed instructions are anything but.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

This is the biggest piece of crap. I want this on my mobile device. Can't get it to work, so I went ahead and tried it on the desktop (which I didn't want to do given that it's only a license for 2 devices). I finally get it working, and the issues are so *SQUEE* slow to upload. I can't get any images. Just speech bubbles. And on a high speed service line.