VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT June 2019 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU
Re: VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT June 2019 Solicitations

Post by kinggirlfriend »

kjjohanson wrote:I haven't read the current Bloodshot series yet. Is it really that bad?
It's worse than bad. It makes early Image titles like Bloodstrike and Brigade look like Shakespeare in comparison. It's lazy, ham-fisted and uninspired. Weak art with no direction or purpose. Valiant should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a lackluster product.

Honestly I think Valiant painted themselves into a corner with Lemire's run. Don't get me wrong I think it was phenomenal and exactly what a one dimensional character like Bloodshot needed. I just don't think they have any idea of what to do with the character after that so it just goes back to being a dumb shoot 'em up action comic. I know the pages released from the next one by Brett Booth has people excited but it looks really generic to me. It's just pages of Bloodshot shooting. I loved the Duane Swierczynski run and really like the HARD Corps book that had Dysart co-writing. But both those books tied in closely with the rest of the Valiant U, leaning heavily on the Psiot side of things. Now we just get shooting. With generic comic superhero art. It's seems like such a huge step down from Mico Suayan, Butch Guice, Lewis LaRosa and all the countless others that contributed to Lemire's run that made it something special. Valiant just stinks now.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

kinggirlfriend wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:I haven't read the current Bloodshot series yet. Is it really that bad?
It's worse than bad. It makes early Image titles like Bloodstrike and Brigade look like Shakespeare in comparison. It's lazy, ham-fisted and uninspired. Weak art with no direction or purpose. Valiant should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a lackluster product.

Honestly I think Valiant painted themselves into a corner with Lemire's run. Don't get me wrong I think it was phenomenal and exactly what a one dimensional character like Bloodshot needed. I just don't think they have any idea of what to do with the character after that so it just goes back to being a dumb shoot 'em up action comic. I know the pages released from the next one by Brett Booth has people excited but it looks really generic to me. It's just pages of Bloodshot shooting. I loved the Duane Swierczynski run and really like the HARD Corps book that had Dysart co-writing. But both those books tied in closely with the rest of the Valiant U, leaning heavily on the Psiot side of things. Now we just get shooting. With generic comic superhero art. It's seems like such a huge step down from Mico Suayan, Butch Guice, Lewis LaRosa and all the countless others that contributed to Lemire's run that made it something special. Valiant just stinks now.
Considering that they announced a writing team for Rising Spirit, and then they announced an additional writer that took over full writing duties pretty much right away, I wonder if there was some creative dispute with the original team, leaving them stuck to find a writer to write *something* so they had an actual book.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

MGS
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by MGS »

syzhang28 wrote: The Mack cover, who I usually love, looks like Kanye West.
I know the solicitation says it's a Mack cover, but the signature on the art is Zu Orzu, not David Mack. I realize they both use the red box signature, but seems like Valiant should know who's doing their covers. It says the cover is by Mack on the Valiant site as well.

Mike

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

MGS wrote:
I know the solicitation says it's a Mack cover, but the signature on the art is Zu Orzu, not David Mack. I realize they both use the red box signature, but seems like Valiant should know who's doing their covers. It says the cover is by Mack on the Valiant site as well.

Mike
Heather Antos mixed up Bloodshot and Rai in her discussion on the Fallen World book. Yikes.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

nycjadie wrote:
MGS wrote:

Mike
Heather Antos mixed up Bloodshot and Rai in her discussion on the Fallen World book. Yikes.
That was cringe worthy.

MoonknightX
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: The beginning

Post by MoonknightX »

Is the solicitation for the Psi-Lords pre-order bundle missing?

I have searched and can't find it anywhere. I want to make sure I get my order in before the deadline.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

kjjohanson wrote:Considering that they announced a writing team for Rising Spirit, and then they announced an additional writer that took over full writing duties pretty much right away, I wonder if there was some creative dispute with the original team, leaving them stuck to find a writer to write *something* so they had an actual book.
Perhaps they should have just canceled the book entirely? :? Honestly, they should have just relegated it to a one-shot by the original creative team of Thompson/Nadler and Ken Lashley.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:Considering that they announced a writing team for Rising Spirit, and then they announced an additional writer that took over full writing duties pretty much right away, I wonder if there was some creative dispute with the original team, leaving them stuck to find a writer to write *something* so they had an actual book.
Perhaps they should have just canceled the book entirely? :? Honestly, they should have just relegated it to a one-shot by the original creative team of Thompson/Nadler and Ken Lashley.
Agreed!