ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Official Calendar |
It is currently Mar 20, 2019 1:19:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which Book Was Best (February 2019)
Poll runs till Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:45:43 pm
Livewire #3 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
X-O Manowar #24 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
Incursion #1 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
Bloodshot Rising Spirit #4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Forgotten Queen #1 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Valentines Day was invented by Hallmark flavored ice cream 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 24
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:45:43 pm 
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie

Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
What was the best book released by Valiant in February 2019?

Shadowman #11 won January, with X-O Manowar #23 in second.

You have 2 votes, use them wisely.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
  Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:26:37 pm 
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Incursion was pretty good, I enjoyed it and want to see more.

As OTV pointed out, there are some flaws with The Forgotten Queen, but I thought it was better than Livewire. You have a knife in one panel, and the very next one, it disappears? You have a gun, then you put it on the ground? It still was better than #1 and #2, and the fight scene, while long, was very much needed for the story.

Everything else, meh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:17:04 pm 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them

Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
I think Incursion was the best of the 5 titles. Glad to see Gilad back, and I’m interested to see where this goes. I’ve seen some commentary elsewhere that the main enemy character feels like a rip-off of the Galactus idea. I think this is different enough in tone & delivery to have potential to be quite good regardless of any passing similarities.

I enjoyed Livewire #3 quite a bit more than the first 2 issues combined, and I also thought that Forgotten Queen was a pretty decent story - better than I anticipated. I liked the historical story setting with Gengis Khan.

XO was a pretty ‘meh’ story despite having very solid art.

I thought Bloodshot: RS 4 continued the trend of poor storytelling (excessively cheesy, generic ‘action movie’ dialogue) & weak artwork, although the one bright spot was seeing the original HARD Corps characters.

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:08:21 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

grendeljd wrote:
I’ve seen some commentary elsewhere that the main enemy character feels like a rip-off of the Galactus idea. I think this is different enough in tone & delivery to have potential to be quite good regardless of any passing similarities.

I rarely by into the 'rip-off' perspective. Everything under the sun is in some way similar to something you've seen before. Where did Marvel come up with notion of a 'herald' for Galactus? Oh, I dunno, maybe in the vast history of documented political and military confrontation. Marvel didn't invent the concept of a herald and other writers should not feel constrained by their use of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:46:02 am 
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Great Tier:
Incursion 1

Promising Tier:

Livewire 3

Forgettable Tier:
Forgotten Queen 1
X-O Manowar 24

Disappointed (Like Usual) Tier:
Bloodshot Rising Spirit 4

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:28:53 pm 

Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
I’ve seen some commentary elsewhere that the main enemy character feels like a rip-off of the Galactus idea. I think this is different enough in tone & delivery to have potential to be quite good regardless of any passing similarities.

I rarely by into the 'rip-off' perspective. Everything under the sun is in some way similar to something you've seen before. Where did Marvel come up with notion of a 'herald' for Galactus? Oh, I dunno, maybe in the vast history of documented political and military confrontation. Marvel didn't invent the concept of a herald and other writers should not feel constrained by their use of it.

Yes, I agree. Its not the end of the world if someone produces an idea similar to something else... its all about the new delivery/ fresh take / context of that idea. If something is a blatant rip-off with nothing compelling or different about it, thats one thing. Simply being inspired by an idea to the point of making something new that also clearly is a nod to the source is fine, and perfectly normal in the world. Nothing "new" is ever created in a void. Creativity is always inspired by ideas that came before.

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:49:32 pm 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Yes, I agree. Its not the end of the world if someone produces an idea similar to something else... its all about the new delivery/ fresh take / context of that idea. If something is a blatant rip-off with nothing compelling or different about it, thats one thing. Simply being inspired by an idea to the point of making something new that also clearly is a nod to the source is fine, and perfectly normal in the world. Nothing "new" is ever created in a void. Creativity is always inspired by ideas that came before.

I mentioned the Galactus parallel on VCR but I didn't call it a rip off, I thought Virago was like a cross between Darque and Galactus and I thought it worked.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:16:17 pm 

hawkeyeps wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

I mentioned the Galactus parallel on VCR but I didn't call it a rip off, I thought Virago was like a cross between Darque and Galactus and I thought it worked.

:thumb:

+1 - I think the character has a ton of potential to be pretty cool!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:51:09 am 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Better than last month but still needs improvement as with so few books there’s no room for the appalling Bloodshot RS!

Yeah that was good enough to be Valiant...

1) Incursion #1
2) XO #24

Mmmmm maybe it was just good enough to be Valiant....

3) Forgotten Queen #1
4) Livewire #3

At least Dead Drop had great art....

5) Bloodshot Rising Spirit #4

Offline Profile