Switch to full style
Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.
Be courteous towards others who may not want too much information before they can read it for themselves.
The Published Issue Discussions sub-forum exists for books to be discussed in detail after publication.
Post a reply

Psi-Lords in June

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:13:03 pm

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ic-1186076

FVL is back!

Re: Psi-Lords in June

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:37:50 pm

Can't wait! :thumb:

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54:43 pm

Yep, that's the big announcement that was being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52166

More details in this link:
http://valiantentertainment.com/2019/02 ... psi-lords/

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02:24 pm

FVL? May have to pick this up. This is the first title that’s been announced in some time that has me interested.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:12:06 pm

BugsySig wrote:FVL? May have to pick this up. This is the first title that’s been announced in some time that has me interested.

I will give anything FVL does a try. I hope others give the book a shot.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:54:14 pm

This is the most interesting Valiant news in a while.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:49:24 pm

I'm very excited to see this news! And glad to see FVL on it. He's the perfect choice for the title given his prior VEI work! :thumb:

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23:42 pm

Fantastic news! Super happy to hear FVL is back, and PSI Lords is finally happening! Sounds like a very intriguing take on the core premise of the old series... I very much liked everything he said about continuity & respecting what has gone before without being fully tied down by it. That you shouldn’t just jettison what was established before... but you can still do something new within that framework. That’s something that still irks me greatly about what Kindt has done with XO.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:50:13 pm

wtf... since when was Psi-Lords about 4 random hipsters from the coffee shop? I miss unapologetic action-adventure. New VU is not for me obviously *sigh*

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:37:55 pm

Ryan wrote:wtf... since when was Psi-Lords about 4 random hipsters from the coffee shop? I miss unapologetic action-adventure. New VU is not for me obviously *sigh*

If I'm reading the summary correctly, the 4 random hipsters are prisoners on a planet and they need to find the (actual) Psi-Lords (gods of the galaxy), but I can understand how it would be confusing looking at one promotional image, ignoring those pesky word-things under it, and immediately jumping to conclusions. :P

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:50:00 pm

It's FVL. I expect a bit of weird comedy humor. It's really hard to do well, and he is very good at it. He made A&A one of my top Valiant titles of all time.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:53:29 pm

nycjadie wrote:It's FVL. I expect a bit of weird comedy humor. It's really hard to do well, and he is very good at it. He made A&A one of my top Valiant titles of all time.

Agreed :thumb:

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:39:41 pm

Gotta be the nay sayer on the FVL hype train. Once again it sounds like his concept is a good one but based on his past efforts I’m not that excited. If he gave the concept to someone else to deliver then I’d be all in.

Hoping it’s the FVL on LOTG and not FVL on A&A, Timewalker, War Mother etc

I’ll still pick it up and hope for the best.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:21:36 pm

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Gotta be the nay sayer on the FVL hype train. Once again it sounds like his concept is a good one but based on his past efforts I’m not that excited. If he gave the concept to someone else to deliver then I’d be all in.

Hoping it’s the FVL on LOTG and not FVL on A&A, Timewalker, War Mother etc

I’ll still pick it up and hope for the best.

Is this an ongoing series?
I also didnt really care for fvl stuff. But least its not raffer bad to compare to.
I know nothing of thease charaters.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:30:11 pm

In the interview, he did state that although he has a couple of years in his mind, his first arc is 1 year. from there, he says it could go numerous ways.

This could be another 1 year story, but at least we are getting something new. If they do push it for two, all the better.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:12:05 pm

All of the characters look cool, except for that red-haired character. He's literally giving me cancer from how obnoxious his design is. FLV is sort of hit or miss for me. His characters can't behave like normal human beings, because their too busy being overly self-aware of their respective tropes. FLV isn't for everyone. Sometimes his stuff is readable and funny with some flaws that can be overlooked, Archer & Armstrong. Other times it's a complete trainwreck of ideas that never really gel together, Generation Zero. FLV is sort of a good example of the problem of letting the inmates run the asylum. His humor is so on the nose, that it completely misses its mark half the time. He expects people to "get it" when he wasted an entire issue deconstructing some random tropes, or has a character give some completely random speech were they're basically just acting as his author avatar.

FLV's problem is that he's so focused on deconstructing character tropes he forgets to give the characters in his story any actual depth. Matt Kindt's problem is that he's so focused on reconstructing tropes that he forgets to give his characters any realistic motivation or stakes. Characters just do things with no logical reason as to why they're doing it, or why characters choose to escalate a conflict when it's never really made clear what triggered that conflict in the first place.

Joshua Dysart for is me perfect, because he's one of the few writers whose only focus is on actually telling a straightforward story. There's no deconstruction or reconstruction, or characters getting on random soap boxes. Dysart gives zero damns about genre conventions one way or that other, and that's why he's such a good genre writer.

Hopefully this book turns out good, and I'm willing to give FLV another chance even though my expectations aren't high. This does have a little too much in common with Generation Zero though. The synopsis sounds like it'll instead focus on a group of randos character who have to find the title characters, and that the story will focus on these randos trying to get the title characters to help them out of their predicament. This is literally Generation Zero in Space.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20:51 pm

I remember the prison in Matt Kindt's X-O Manowar is called Pyre. So this Gyre FVL mentioned in the interview is ANOTHER prison planet, right :hm:

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06:26 pm

greg wrote:
Ryan wrote:wtf... since when was Psi-Lords about 4 random hipsters from the coffee shop? I miss unapologetic action-adventure. New VU is not for me obviously *sigh*

If I'm reading the summary correctly, the 4 random hipsters are prisoners on a planet and they need to find the (actual) Psi-Lords (gods of the galaxy), but I can understand how it would be confusing looking at one promotional image, ignoring those pesky word-things under it, and immediately jumping to conclusions. :P

Well then it's a marketing fail for me. The promotional image is supposed to excite me so that I want to read the information underneath, not be a red herring (if that's really what it is). It's like if when Magnus #1 was announced they released an image of 4 rando North Am citizens but in the fine print it says "don't worry, these people are looking for Magnus". Utterly insane anti-marketing. No one would have bought that book. I've been saying for months Valiant needs to go back to their strongest core characters to gain new fans but this new crew is doing the exact opposite. Oh well it's their party, no one asked me lol, but as a fan I'm just not interested. :?

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:22:47 pm

SuperMage wrote:All of the characters look cool, except for that red-haired character. He's literally giving me cancer from how obnoxious his design is. FLV is sort of hit or miss for me. His characters can't behave like normal human beings, because their too busy being overly self-aware of their respective tropes. FLV isn't for everyone. Sometimes his stuff is readable and funny with some flaws that can be overlooked, Archer & Armstrong. Other times it's a complete trainwreck of ideas that never really gel together, Generation Zero. FLV is sort of a good example of the problem of letting the inmates run the asylum. His humor is so on the nose, that it completely misses its mark half the time. He expects people to "get it" when he wasted an entire issue deconstructing some random tropes, or has a character give some completely random speech were they're basically just acting as his author avatar.

FLV's problem is that he's so focused on deconstructing character tropes he forgets to give the characters in his story any actual depth. Matt Kindt's problem is that he's so focused on reconstructing tropes that he forgets to give his characters any realistic motivation or stakes. Characters just do things with no logical reason as to why they're doing it, or why characters choose to escalate a conflict when it's never really made clear what triggered that conflict in the first place.

Joshua Dysart for is me perfect, because he's one of the few writers whose only focus is on actually telling a straightforward story. There's no deconstruction or reconstruction, or characters getting on random soap boxes. Dysart gives zero damns about genre conventions one way or that other, and that's why he's such a good genre writer.

Hopefully this book turns out good, and I'm willing to give FLV another chance even though my expectations aren't high. This does have a little too much in common with Generation Zero though. The synopsis sounds like it'll instead focus on a group of randos character who have to find the title characters, and that the story will focus on these randos trying to get the title characters to help them out of their predicament. This is literally Generation Zero in Space.

+1

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:30:25 pm

lets see whats up with this book, wasn't it hinted at over a year or two ago?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:46:57 pm

I can't say anything looks interesting except the logo (they really do look like hipsters) and I'm not excited by the creators but I will give this book a chance. It's too early to tell if it's good or not.

I am sad that it looks like they've abandoned the version of Psi-Lords that Dinesh and Warren were going to do though and it's strange that they would do this book before bringing back some of the bigger characters.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26:24 pm

1.) We do NOT know what this story will be yet.

2.) We need to judge a book by its quality, which again, we do not know yet.

3.) FVL is a solid writer who has made Valiant Magic happen many times over.

4.) Sometimes artists draw what they value or how they see the world, which usually tends to be artsy things, trends, and culture. This may or may not correlate to FLV’s story yet. Time will tell, but give him a chance at least.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:41:08 pm

DirtbagSailor wrote:Time will tell, but give him a chance at least.

I agree. I like most of his stuff, if this is as good as Timewalker I'll be delighted.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:15:58 pm

jmatt wrote:

I agree. I like most of his stuff, if this is as good as Timewalker I'll be delighted.

Timewalker was AWESOME! :clap:

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:22:38 am

DirtbagSailor wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Timewalker was AWESOME! :clap:

I triple agree. Timewalker was badass!

Rico
Post a reply