Lucky Valiant fans

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Not_Bloodshot
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: The Goat
Favorite writer: David Micheline
Favorite artist: Davis
Lucky Valiant fans

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

Hello All,

I just joined this board. I’ve been watching the discussions for a while and I must say, some of you are really lucky to be in areas that have shops with strong Valiant support. I’m in New Orleans and it’s a sad state here. None of the artists come to the two Comic Cons we have annually over here and the shops don’t get a lot. Definitely no Variants. (They do for Marvel and DC, but no Valiant.)

I went to a decent sized shop in Baton Rouge the other day and asked if they had Valiant books. The lady at the shop said, wow, a Valiant fan, you are a rare breed.... the guy in the shop said, Valiant books are in the 50 cent boxes. They aren’t sorted so good luck finding them... I saved 150 books from them for $75...

My love of Valiant runs deep, but you guys are fortunate to be in areas that have strong support. I can only get the good books on eBay, which if they aren’t CGC, it’s always a roll of the dice with USPS...

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
Re: Lucky Valiant fans

Post by Juki »

Not_Bloodshot wrote:Hello All,

I just joined this board. I’ve been watching the discussions for a while and I must say, some of you are really lucky to be in areas that have shops with strong Valiant support. I’m in New Orleans and it’s a sad state here. None of the artists come to the two Comic Cons we have annually over here and the shops don’t get a lot. Definitely no Variants. (They do for Marvel and DC, but no Valiant.)

I went to a decent sized shop in Baton Rouge the other day and asked if they had Valiant books. The lady at the shop said, wow, a Valiant fan, you are a rare breed.... the guy in the shop said, Valiant books are in the 50 cent boxes. They aren’t sorted so good luck finding them... I saved 150 books from them for $75...

My love of Valiant runs deep, but you guys are fortunate to be in areas that have strong support. I can only get the good books on eBay, which if they aren’t CGC, it’s always a roll of the dice with USPS...

Yeah, I live near you (20 minutes away in Marrero). I gave up on trying to find Valiant around here as well. It is sad.... because VH1 was a bit of a force here in the 90s.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

My family has lived in New Orleans since 1980, and I was first introduced to Valiant at a local comic shop in 1993.

The comic scene is rough in the crescent city. Not a lot of comic shops these days, and those that exist are not focused on Valiant or collecting really.

So my LCS is a combination of Collectors Paradise, Midtown, Impuse Creations, and here on the boards!

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

It takes persistence, that's for certain. My LCS had no one carrying Valiant, now that number is around 8-9. Yea, it takes time, but once people change over, they do become fans pretty quickly. We do liken ourselves with that door to door salesman, or religious group. We have to talk to people and get them involved one at a time. I am lucky though, I have a big comic shop and they support my Valiant habit (still no variants). It'll just take time, and with the movie coming out, let's hope you'll find a few more fans just like you.
Moose

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Not_Bloodshot wrote:I just joined this board. I’ve been watching the discussions for a while and I must say, some of you are really lucky to be in areas that have shops with strong Valiant support. I’m in New Orleans and it’s a sad state here.
First, welcome to the board!

Second, I can back that up: In 1994 I did a trade show in New Orleans. In town for a couple of days, I found a local comic shop.

"Hey, it must be pretty cool for NO to have a home town superhero in Shadowman."

"Who? Never heard of him."

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

jmatt wrote:
Not_Bloodshot wrote:I just joined this board. I’ve been watching the discussions for a while and I must say, some of you are really lucky to be in areas that have shops with strong Valiant support. I’m in New Orleans and it’s a sad state here.
First, welcome to the board!

Second, I can back that up: In 1994 I did a trade show in New Orleans. In town for a couple of days, I found a local comic shop.

"Hey, it must be pretty cool for NO to have a home town superhero in Shadowman."

"Who? Never heard of him."

Yeah....I was wondering if the Marie Laveau connection through Punk Mambo could bring in some readers around here. That could be a great way to introduce Valiant locally. Everyone knows Marie Laveau in NOLA. But, without local marketing... chances are low.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

That is sad - there was a Shadowman day in New Orleans in... 1993?

I live about halfway between Denver and Dallas. There are some small local cons but usually they seem to focus their guest budgets more on former power rangers than comic book professionals.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Chiclo wrote: There are some small local cons but usually they seem to focus their guest budgets more on former power rangers than comic book professionals.
This is also true in Northern California I set up at 25+ shows each year and at least a third of them have some power ranger at them as a guest

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

betterthanezra wrote:
Chiclo wrote: There are some small local cons but usually they seem to focus their guest budgets more on former power rangers than comic book professionals.
This is also true in Northern California I set up at 25+ shows each year and at least a third of them have some power ranger at them as a guest

-Brian
Seems like good idea since most kids I know like power rangers lol

Had to edit, phone auto typed odd words

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian
It's a real thing.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Chiclo wrote:That is sad - there was a Shadowman day in New Orleans in... 1993?

I live about halfway between Denver and Dallas. There are some small local cons but usually they seem to focus their guest budgets more on former power rangers than comic book professionals.
Shadowman Day actually spanned 2 days from Jan 17-18, 1993. Would be cool to track down the official proclamation, truly a one-of-a-kind item!

http://allthingsvaliant.blogspot.com/20 ... an-do.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Wow.... I did not realize that it was an official New Orlean's day "proclaimed" by the mayor! I was thinking more just a comic book store event. Awesome!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Since I posted this, one of two local annual cons announced their big-name guests for this year and not a Power Ranger among them. They did announce Tasha Yar, Zander from Buffy, Roofio from Hook and most importantly KIRK FROM GILMORE GIRLS!

betterthanezra
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Chiclo wrote:

Since I posted this, one of two local annual cons announced their big-name guests for this year and not a Power Ranger among them. They did announce Tasha Yar, Zander from Buffy, Roofio from Hook and most importantly KIRK FROM GILMORE GIRLS!
Tasha and Zander will go to any show that will pay them ANY show (StocktonCon has had both several times)

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;