ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Official Calendar |
It is currently Apr 24, 2019 1:59:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:55:59 am 
2 posts down, 2 million to go

Hi, I am new here so forgive me if I am asking an old or repeated question.

I was introduced to Imperium after reading it was on a list of best comic series list. Fell in love with it. Was pleased to find it it was part of a bigger universe in valiant comics. That was several months ago. I wanted to read the entire library from the beginning, but I could not find a reading order before 2012. Tried for a day or two and relented to reading the "modern library". Loved every minute of it.

I am caught up, but I still need a fix. I want to read the older library and searched for a reading order for a few days, but found none. Someone suggested I come here as if there was one, someone here would know.

So is there a comprehensive reading order for the 90's stuff, like "Comicbook Reading Orders"? I liked their format, but they only have the "recent" library.

Thanks.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
  Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:19:40 pm 
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Welcome to the board!

I'm sure someone here has a reading order, but I do not. Early Valiant had a tight continuity and I think it would be cool to re-read in chronological order of title release dates. That being said, you would not be lost if you just read each title separate, then read the Unity 0 and monthly Unity books followed by Unity 1 and then Rai O. After that, you could go back to individual title until you got to the next crossover, Chaos Effect.

I am sure you know this, but the continuity of the 90's has nothing to do with the 2012 VEI continuity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:21:31 pm 

Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
As a supplement to my answer, of course Greg has this covered.

Here's the timeline: http://valiant101.com/valiant1991to2002.pdf

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28:54 am 

THANKS! This will be useful. Yeah, I know they are separate as I read a few issues of X-O before I gave up on the 90's. The 90's ones are more violent than the recent library. The stories vary in interest level for me, but it will give me my fix until the newer library puts out more stuff for me to binge.

Thanks again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:25:37 am 
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.

Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
ebonyknight wrote:
The 90's ones are more violent than the recent library.

Maybe. There is definitely a Central Park mugger decapitation in the 90s X-O, but the 2012 X-O has "gut grenade" and some other spectacular killshots. :hm:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:04:59 pm 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma

Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
As someone who just did the read you're embarking on, my suggestion is to use the link above and follow the books by relative release date (relative because the info in that link only tells you which books were released in each 3 month period and not necessarily what order they were released in; you can tell the order of each individual series, obviously, but not whether an issue in one series came out before or after an issue in another). With the exception of the Unity books and the Chaos effect books, which have an explicit order that is laid out for the reader in the issues (for the unity books, each book states what chapter it is on the cover, and for the chaos effect books, you can find a map in each issue I believe telling you what order to read the books), so long as you're reading all the books in each 3 month window before moving on, you should be ok. Every now and then, there's a crossover that involves different series that's indicated in the those series (it'll say "Continued in _______" at the end of the book), and sometimes you will read something and be like: what? I don't remember this, and then you'll encounter what you missed in another book in another series, but for the most part, the series remain independent enough that you'll be ok.

There's also the Image/Valiant Deathmate Crossover, but outside of the Prologue and the Epilogue, those can be read in any order.

Also, you haven't stated how you intend to do this reading. If your plans are to do it digitally, know that Solar, Magnus and Turok are not "legally" available in a digital format and that the early Solar and much of the Magnus runs are particularly important to understanding the universe, and so you'll either have to find them in hard copy (not impossible, but the faster you want to do it, the more costly it will be) or you'll have to visit a site that has unauthorized versions of them (there's some site called readcomiconline.to or something that perhaps someone else can fill you in on).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:13:46 pm 
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

If you are reading by title, an alternative is to use the binding order thread as a guide. They include the relevant crossover issues:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19510

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:48:16 pm 
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Harbinger rank: Shinia

Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: None Currently
If you are just going for publish order, the link above is great stuff.

I've been working my way through the early Valiant stuff attempting to read it in a story chronology order. Currently about to wrap up Unity.

There is a thread on the site that claims to be story chronology but is pretty flawed. I'm working on my own version based on the dates in the actual issues and some estimates. Once I finish Unity (tonight or tomorrow), I can put up what I have as the order for the first 16 months of publishing (plus a few later issues that retroactively fit in).

"What kind of name is Unity for a superhero team anyway? They deserve to die for that alone." - Bloodsquirt, Bloodshot Reborn #5

My favorite place to live, breath, buy, sell and catalog comics: http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:09:59 pm 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
Welcome! I'm jealous that you are getting to read the '90s stuff for the first time. I discovered Valiant with the last chapter of '90s Unity and it's still probably the most defining moment in my comic's history. I was enamored with that book and the timeline in the back. I was totally hooked.

Offline Profile