"Joe Illidge, No Longer Executive Editor at Valiant"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Okay, but Matt has been doing creator-owned work since 2001, and only started with shared universe stuff briefly with DC, and then Valiant since 2013. He has a love for Valiant that goes back to the 90s.

I’m sure the turnover at Valiant has been disconcerting to him and all other creators, there’s ample evidence for that. And you’re probably right that Matt may not continue on XO indefinitely. I’m just saying that with Robert Meyers as chief editor, there will be the greatest likelihood of continuity of relationships from the Warren and Dinesh era. And I would even expect (a prediction:) that many trusted writers will now feel more impulse to submit a pitch.
Last edited by AnarchoMambo on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU
Re: "Joe Illidge, No Longer Executive Editor at Valiant"

Post by kinggirlfriend »

There was an interview 2 weeks ago where Kindt says once he's done with X-O he's moving onto his creator-owned work exclusively. I doubt giving the copy room boy a raise is going to make him change his career plans. Meyer's position sounds like a placeholder until they can find a a proper EIC.

AnarchoMambo
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Nope, DMG’s publishing arm will need to cut costs as a standard corporate reaction to a decreasing market share. IMO, there will be no “high-profile” hiring for EIC for the foreseeable future. Nor would we want that. Myers is the perfect choice for fans in the near-term and in the long run.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

kinggirlfriend wrote:There was an interview 2 weeks ago where Kindt says once he's done with X-O he's moving onto his creator-owned work exclusively. I doubt giving the copy room boy a raise is going to make him change his career plans. Meyer's position sounds like a placeholder until they can find a a proper EIC.
Meyer's position sounds like they don't want an EiC anymore. These dual promotions are mostly a way to downsize the company while still maintaining positive press. Remember what Dan Mintz said when he first bought out Valiant.
“You can expect more strong storytelling with a defined road to other platforms,” he (Dan Mintz) says. “I’m also looking forward to bringing the writers close to the filmmaking process, which is something that is also important, and not keeping them siloed into the comic book area.”
Maybe we'll see more changes moving forward, but there's nothing to suggest that Dan Mintz's goal is to expand Valiant's staff in anyway unless it benefits his media plans. Maybe Matt Kindt will keep writing for Valiant, or he might still be taking that hiatus he talked about a while back. It's too soon to know what this new version of Valiant will look like. At the moment it's Dan Mintz, Fred Pierce, and Robert Meyers pulling the strings. No more Executive Editor, and no more EiC. We have to wait a few months to get a good feel on what comes next.

AZBarbarian
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Secret Weapons
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by AZBarbarian »

This is it. I am out! Sadly. Removing Valiant from my pulls - except the ‘Pre-Order Variants.’ No choice but to stick to those.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

General opinion here is that this Robert Meyer guy is a positive move for the company, so although I don't know anything about him other than what's been said here, I hope that you're all right and that his presence manages to help toward setting the company back onto a good footing again. His previous presence at Valiant and knowledge of its characters (etc.) is reassuring.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

AZBarbarian wrote:This is it. I am out! Sadly. Removing Valiant from my pulls - except the ‘Pre-Order Variants.’ No choice but to stick to those.
Did you see the new announcement for books and creators for 2019? I’d say stick around! :thumb: