Harbinger Movie gets a director.

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Harbinger Movie gets a director.

Post by BugsySig »

Never heard of the guy. He’s made one movie and a couple TV episodes. Too lazy to post the link. Google it, fools!
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI
Re: Harbinger Movie gets a director.

Post by ilzuccone »

too lazy to google. will check back later.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Below is the link. Even copied the contents below if you are too lazy to click on the url. :P

https://www.newsarama.com/42855-valiant ... eport.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sony has hired director Justin Tipping to helm its planned Harbinger film, according to That Hashtag Show.

That Hashtag Show reports that Tipping, whose sole feature film Kicks was released in 2016, also punched up the script for Harbinger alongside Joshua Beirne-Golden. Tipping's other credits include directing an episode of the TV show The Chi and an upcoming TV movie titled Twenties.

The script reportedly focuses on the character of Pete Stanchek, along with Joe Irons, Kris Hathaway, Faith Herbert, and villain Toyo Harada.

Harbinger is anticipated to be the second film in five-film Valiant Universe franchise for Sony, beginning with 2019's Bloodshot.

No projected release date for Harbinger has been announced.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Here's another link with contents posted below:

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2018/11/ ... harbinger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In 2015, Sony signed a 5-picture deal with Neil Moritz’s Original Film studio to bring the Valiant Comics universe to the big screen. The Dave Wilson-helmed Vin Diesel vehicle, Bloodshot, will be the first film to hit theaters on February 21, 2020 and now the studio has put the gears in motion on the second film in the series, Harbinger, by hiring director Justin Tipping to helm the project.

Tipping, like Wilson, has yet to helm a major studio motion picture, having only directed some short films and television series. The script, which has been touched up by Tipping and Joshus Beirne-Golden, will focus on teenager Pete Stancheck, aka Sting, a young man born with amazing paranormal abilities as he joins forces with others who have similar powers to foil a masterminds set on weaponizing their powers.

Harbinger, which was created by Jim Shooter and David Lapham, debuted in 1992 and ran for 41 issues over 12 years. In 2014 the series was nominated for three Harvey Awards. The film will feature Pete along with his friend Joe Irons, Kris Hathaway, Faith Hebert, aka Zephyr, and Charlene Dupre, aka Flamingo as the rebel against Toyo Harada and his plans to conquer the planet. Harbinger is expected to establish the characters in a shared universe with Diesel’s Bloodshot ahead of a third film, tentatively called Harbinger Wars, that will bring all the characters together.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Some of the facts are wrong of course . . . the original series ran for 41 issues but it was not over a span of 12 years. :lol:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Old news from 2017:

https://deadline.com/2017/04/harbinger- ... 202070060/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They were hired to rewrite and direct back in 2017, just like Dave Wilson on Bloodshot. Dinesh confirmed this at this time.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

syzhang28 wrote:Old news from 2017:

https://deadline.com/2017/04/harbinger- ... 202070060/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They were hired to rewrite and direct back in 2017, just like Dave Wilson on Bloodshot. Dinesh confirmed this at this time.
There’s nothing in that article about directing. Just writing.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

This is a fun thread to read. I’m getting thirsty from all this popcorn.... but I am too lazy to get up to get a drink.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Nice to see some motion on this. :clap:

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

jmatt wrote:Nice to see some motion on this. :clap:
Seconded and damn, now that it is somehow shaping into something "real" I can't imagine what will be when the first trailer for Harbinger, freaking Harbinger!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: drops.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I just want to know whether Bloodshot and Harbinger are in the same universe or not. Honestly, if Valiant could nail the first few shared-universe movies, they would already have a leg up on DC.

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

TheFerg714 wrote:I just want to know whether Bloodshot and Harbinger are in the same universe or not. Honestly, if Valiant could nail the first few shared-universe movies, they would already have a leg up on DC.
I think that if the original plan is to be believed, The first two Harbinger and Bloodshot movies would be separate, with the fifth film, "Harbinger Wars", bringing the universe together.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

jxm640 wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:I just want to know whether Bloodshot and Harbinger are in the same universe or not. Honestly, if Valiant could nail the first few shared-universe movies, they would already have a leg up on DC.
I think that if the original plan is to be believed, The first two Harbinger and Bloodshot movies would be separate, with the fifth film, "Harbinger Wars", bringing the universe together.
Correct. Still the plan. Same universe but unfortunately it will only be Bloodshot and Harbinger, the rest are stuck at Valiant. Justin's been on since 2017. Strange that the press would decide to make a meal of the story now. Especially since there's much bigger Harbinger movie news afoot 8-)

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

dino wrote:
jxm640 wrote:
Correct. Still the plan. Same universe but unfortunately it will only be Bloodshot and Harbinger, the rest are stuck at Valiant. Justin's been on since 2017. Strange that the press would decide to make a meal of the story now. Especially since there's much bigger Harbinger movie news afoot 8-)
Thank you for the response, I look forward to the future Harbinger news, I expect that it will be epic. :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb:

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

dino wrote:
jxm640 wrote:
Holy *SQUEE* amazing news!! :high-five:

Maybe Bloodshot and Harbinger will do so well that you can just buy the rest of the Valiant characters? Is that how that works? :lol:

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

ilzuccone wrote:too lazy to google. will check back later.
:funnypost: :lol:
dino wrote: Strange that the press would decide to make a meal of the story now. Especially since there's much bigger Harbinger movie news afoot 8-)
Ben Affleck is being cast as Pete? :kidaround:
Multum In Parvo

Funcha
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

I do know that at least a few people are lobbying to get a certain very famous Japanese American actor to play Toyo Harada. I'd say more if I could but haven't gotten an official OK to do so. What I will say though, is that if he's chosen it will be in my humble opinion dreamcasting.

The Chosen 1
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

dino wrote:
jxm640 wrote:
You'll have to excuse my ignorance sorry. What does Dino mean the rest of the Characters are Stuck at Valiant? They haven't optioned out? Or Valiant are doing the movies in house?
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
dino wrote:
jxm640 wrote:
You'll have to excuse my ignorance sorry. What does Dino mean the rest of the Characters are Stuck at Valiant? They haven't optioned out? Or Valiant are doing the movies in house?
Meaning Sony doesn’t own (or want?) the rights.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

The Chosen 1 wrote:
dino wrote:
jxm640 wrote:
It's the same scenario as the MCU/Fox schism, and we all know how that ended. Sony owns the licensing rights to Bloodshot and Harbinger for as long as they make movies for those franchises and any other properties connected to those franchises. I'm assuming that means Sony also owns films rights for H.A.R.D. Corps, Faith, Livewire, Secret Weapons, Imperium, and Deathmate. Those are Bloodshot/Harbinger related properties so they were probably included in the rights bundle.

Dan Mintz controls the rest of the Valiant Universe, but Bloodshot and Harbinger are in Sony's hands. Meaning the fate of the X-O, and Shadowman movies are up in the air.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

dino wrote:
jxm640 wrote:

So, does this mean that Dino may possibly be working through Sony on the Harbinger movie (like he is doing for the Bloodshot movie)??!! If so, that would be great having his input and knowledge of the Valiant universe imparted on Harbinger's movie shot! :hope:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

SuperMage wrote:It's the same scenario as the MCU/Fox schism...
That's a bummer. :(