Best selling Bloodshot #1 on the modern era!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Best selling Bloodshot #1 on the modern era!

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Surprised this hasn’t already been posted but Valiant are reporting this Bloodshot #1 is the best selling Bloodshot #1 of the modern Valiant era. Don’t know how to post links so you’ll just need to take my word for it! :P

Anyway, I was pretty surprised by this as the hype seemed very low key :? Is this the result of the glass cover?

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Best selling Bloodshot #1 on the modern era!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I hope this does really well and leads to a series other than XO having a decent run.

Of the DMG-era titles, Faith looks like a sales bust, Bloodshoot by this account has done very well, and Livewire looks promising... :hope: this is 2012 all over again... now, if we just a decent shared and cohesive universe...

1st Among Equals

Post by 1st Among Equals »

I am guessing it is more due to the movie news

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Bloodshot Rising spirit? Or Bloodshot 2012?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

nycjadie wrote:Bloodshot Rising spirit? Or Bloodshot 2012?
Bloodshot Rising Spirit has apparently outsold Bloodshot 2012 and Bloodshot Reborn!

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Surprised this hasn’t already been posted but Valiant are reporting this Bloodshot #1 is the best selling Bloodshot #1 of the modern Valiant era. Don’t know how to post links so you’ll just need to take my word for it! :P

Anyway, I was pretty surprised by this as the hype seemed very low key :? Is this the result of the glass cover?
Believe this is the direct result in the glass cover. Has there been an announcement of the first print selling out? Do we have any clue as to how many were printed? I think this could just be a play on words. Valiant's "Modern Era" could be since the purchase of Valiant, and the removal of Dinesh
Moose

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I believe they are saying yes it's the best selling Bloodshot #1 since the 2012 launch.
Movie hype, a 1:250 incentive glass cover, and several retailer exclusive variants most likely pushed it into that threshold.
Dan
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Any idea of number of issues printed/sold?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Juki wrote:Any idea of number of issues printed/sold?
The Twitter statement didn’t give an actual sales number but if anyone can remember the sales numbers for 2012 and Bloodshot Reborn then we’ll know it’s upwards of those numbers.

Do we think the movie news is bringing in a significant number of new readers ? I guess issue 3 onwards might give us an indication of that.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Don't count out Salvation, that one sold real well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

Bloodshot # 1 (2012) sold just under 30,000 copies its first month, coming it at # 77 on the top 100.

Source: https://icv2.com/articles/comics/view/2 ... -july-2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So...we're looking at (gasp!) projected sales for this one that are actually higher than for Harbinger (1992) # 1?

Nice.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Don't count out Salvation, that one sold real well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, forgot about Salvation, that was probably a decent seller too. :thumb:

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

DMG/Valiant did not give a number for the sales on this book. The first time they have done that when announcing a best seller, or at least Dinesh and co would always be transparent and give the number. I think it's telling that they have chosen to hide it and my bet is when the diamond numbers come out the book is close to being the best selling Bloodshot book since 2012 but not quite.

And, there's a very simple answer as to why it got close at all. The issue is returnable and the glass cover was order as many as you qualify for to retailers. Atom and Dinesh never did that. The metal covers were limited to 1 per store because they didn't want stores ordering more than they could find readers for. My store was encouraged by Valiant to order more than they needed and return them. They ordered 5000 copies of Rising Spirit and is planning on returning all but 25 of them but keeping the glass covers.

The low key hype I think is because DMG/Valiant didn't do a good job with the book (4 artists, 3 writers, the lowest rated of the Bloodshot #1's on comic book round up) or marketing it. DMG need a win so they pumped and dumped the book. I count at least 15 exclusive covers, including some with places that aren't stores so can't get readers and some that are limited to just 100 copies. The all you can eat glass cover. Returnability. My guess is they will parade the sales on #1 and then we'll see a big drop for #2 and #3 when stores can't get readers.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

syzhang28 wrote:DMG/Valiant did not give a number for the sales on this book. The first time they have done that when announcing a best seller, or at least Dinesh and co would always be transparent and give the number. I think it's telling that they have chosen to hide it and my bet is when the diamond numbers come out the book is close to being the best selling Bloodshot book since 2012 but not quite.

And, there's a very simple answer as to why it got close at all. The issue is returnable and the glass cover was order as many as you qualify for to retailers. Atom and Dinesh never did that. The metal covers were limited to 1 per store because they didn't want stores ordering more than they could find readers for. My store was encouraged by Valiant to order more than they needed and return them. They ordered 5000 copies of Rising Spirit and is planning on returning all but 25 of them but keeping the glass covers.

The low key hype I think is because DMG/Valiant didn't do a good job with the book (4 artists, 3 writers, the lowest rated of the Bloodshot #1's on comic book round up) or marketing it. DMG need a win so they pumped and dumped the book. I count at least 15 exclusive covers, including some with places that aren't stores so can't get readers and some that are limited to just 100 copies. The all you can eat glass cover. Returnability. My guess is they will parade the sales on #1 and then we'll see a big drop for #2 and #3 when stores can't get readers.
Man tell me how you really feel.

Everything you wrote could turn out to be 100% correct, but.... really...? Do we need to do this? We know the whole DMG thing sucks.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ckb wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:DMG/Valiant did not give a number for the sales on this book. The first time they have done that when announcing a best seller, or at least Dinesh and co would always be transparent and give the number. I think it's telling that they have chosen to hide it and my bet is when the diamond numbers come out the book is close to being the best selling Bloodshot book since 2012 but not quite.

Man tell me how you really feel.

Everything you wrote could turn out to be 100% correct, but.... really...? Do we need to do this? We know the whole DMG thing sucks.
Do we need to do what? Are you suggesting that we don't discuss Valiant unless what we say further's Valiant's narrative? And what if their narrative is false? I want them to be great as much as you but where do we draw the line if we start becoming propagandists of untruth?

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

5000 copies! That's like Turok 1 or X-O 0 numbers!

I reserved a copy of the glass cover as I normally do with my LCS. $300, and I get all the variants (although I share with him at the store). All the #1s are given to customers for free. It's a fun thing to do, and he humors me.

If the stores are accumulating these in quantities, then I would imagine this will be a sub-$200 book. We shall see in a week or 2. The metal covers (save X-O) all dropped to $200 for a brief amount of time. Ninjak went the lowest. I saw that book at $175.

We might see the glass cover at less than $150.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

The *SQUEE* wipes over at Bleeding Heart Cool did an article on this by taking the position that modern Valiant put older Valiant on blast by soliciting this result. I'd link to it, but I don't want to give Bleeding Cool the clicks.

On a more important note, now might be the time to hoard as many Bloodshot ratio variants as you can on the -guarantee- that when the movie drops the market will blow up, and on the -gamble- that if the movie "Iron Man's" the Valiant Movie Universe that Bloodshot books will have staying power.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Valiant have announced on Twitter it’s gone to a 2nd printing!! :o I kid you not!

Wonder how this ties in with its returnability and potential massive over ordering?

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I would have a lot more patience and tolerance for the new crew if they were actually straight shooters. They always come off as slightly arrogant and spinning the facts to show how great they are. Just talk to the fans like normal people :?

Crowing about the numbers of #1s shipped to stores (not sold to customers) when they're returnable just seems smarmy. Let me know when a book actually gains readers through it's run instead of relying on gimmicks to puff up the numbers.

I don't think this is going to be the one either. The art looks rushed and the story a bland rehash not well executed. Not trying to post negatively just waiting for something positive to come out of this crew.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Here's the Bleeding Cool article:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11/14 ... es-record/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMO, this looks like a damn Acclaim book. Valiant should be ashamed of themselves for trying to push this false sales narrative. This also proves that sales do not equal quality. Blah.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Doom! Gloom! Boom! Zoom!

What can I say though really?? Pass me the bottle please.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

wow...dang...things have changed eh...
that was so wolverine-esque, and then in pg 5 of the preview it looks like he has wolverine claws
this is like vey generic

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

nycjadie wrote:We might see the glass cover at less than $150.
My shop offered it to me at $175 and I hadda pass. These things always take a nosedive three months later... and I'm just not that into the gimmick covers, personally.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

syzhang28 wrote:Atom and Dinesh never did that.
While I agree with your sentiment about pumping the numbers with incentives and returnability, this statement is not correct. They did it a number of times in the same way and for the same reason.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

jmatt wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:Atom and Dinesh never did that.
While I agree with your sentiment about pumping the numbers with incentives and returnability, this statement is not correct. They did it a number of times in the same way and for the same reason.
Not true. Read the interviews. They limited the metal covers to 1 per store. They turned down store exclusives if the store was just trying to make a collectible and not get readers. They revoked a license with an overseas publisher when the publisher started printing 25 copy covers. They printed at least 1000 copies of all the variants from 2012 and 2013 to feed demand. Stores were told they had to pitch Valiant on how they would bring new readers in order to be able to order an exclusive in big amounts. Just ask a store. Paradise here I'm sure knows this.